putting kittens up for adoption

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have managed to get one litter of kittens adopted to people I know. I have another litter of kittens, theyre 3 weeks old but i want to have enough time to choose the best people to adopt them, I have 2/5 already reserved for people I know and want to put the rest up for adoption on social media. What should I look for? I want people that wont sell the kitten, or treat it unwell, I just dont know how to make sure theyre going to a good home.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you just giving them away or selling them for the price of vet costs? The latter should help screen takers. I’d also suggest reaching out to a local shelter to help find homes.

Kittens are generally recommended to be rehomed no earlier than 12 weeks, neutered and fully vaccinated. That should give you plenty of time to find people 🙂

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make sure my kittens/strays got neutered, I left 100.00 at the vet's office with strict instructions to be used by the people who adopt the kittens. I would call with the name. NEVER offer money to get them neutered, the people take the money and dump the cat. If you are giving them away, ask questions, like are they alone, or are there more cats where they are going, and importantly, have the people any experience with cat introductions or raising a kitten. Kittens can be very trying. I have found the best homes for kittens with people who have had a cat and it lived to old age and died, and they need a cat in their life. Or someone with OLDER children who would take care of the kitten and play with it. small children are not good. My husband has a very good way of sizing people up, and was very rarely wrong, (in fact I don't remember any) look at their car when they drive up. If it is a mess, papers everywhere, garbage, etc. car beat up and dirty, they are NOT the people you want. their lives are that way too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will just give them away, no adoption fee or anything similar.
Theyll be put up for adoption at 2.5 months but will only leave their mother at 3-3.5 months

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you
I wont be paying for the neutering (My parents wont pay for all the kittens). Should I give any items with the kitten? Like its favourite toy or a blanket or pillow? Many people have had cats before, ill be sure that they've had some sort of experience with cats however would it be okay if i create a 'things to have' and maybe even a 'Things the kitten would appreciate'?

Ive had an adoption case where I was certain it would be a perfect home for the cat, they had bunnies (with their own room, and were described as 'free roaming') and had a parrot. They sent photos of their pets and they looked so well cared for. I gave them all of the necessary things the cat would need and food for a month (with the agreement that they would research before switching his diet) I checked in over text for a few weeks and the cat was apparently doing great. I visit about 2 months later and it was nothing like I expected! Their rabbits had been dead for months, werent free-roaming and their tiny (and very dirty) cage was still there. They had 3 kids (aged 6, 4 and 2) that would torment the cat! My cat had a tiny corner of a very dirty bed, uncleaned litterbox, gray mushy water (Clay litter + water), dried food (what looked like weeks of wet food + kibble (we agreed on no kibble)) and the cats fur was heavily matted and full of dried poo. I got the cat out of that situation into a much better one. Its sad that they would lie just to get a cat that would be used as a toy for their kids.
I dont want that to happen again and im unsure how, many people just straight up lie ):

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens all the time. The worst is those wanting them to train hunting dogs. It would be great if you could send a small fleece blanket along, it would smell familiar and bring comfort. Maybe a couple of cans of food too. There ARE good people out there that would cherish your kittens, I hope you find them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Comsmart small pawprint pet blankets on Amazon has a 6 pack of small blankets for 14.99. I have ordered them several times for my cats and the cats at our local shelter.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you
I wont be paying for the neutering (My parents wont pay for all the kittens). Should I give any items with the kitten? Like its favourite toy or a blanket or pillow? Many people have had cats before, ill be sure that they've had some sort of experience with cats however would it be okay if i create a 'things to have' and maybe even a 'Things the kitten would appreciate'?

Ive had an adoption case where I was certain it would be a perfect home for the cat, they had bunnies (with their own room, and were described as 'free roaming') and had a parrot. They sent photos of their pets and they looked so well cared for. I gave them all of the necessary things the cat would need and food for a month (with the agreement that they would research before switching his diet) I checked in over text for a few weeks and the cat was apparently doing great. I visit about 2 months later and it was nothing like I expected! Their rabbits had been dead for months, werent free-roaming and their tiny (and very dirty) cage was still there. They had 3 kids (aged 6, 4 and 2) that would torment the cat! My cat had a tiny corner of a very dirty bed, uncleaned litterbox, gray mushy water (Clay litter + water), dried food (what looked like weeks of wet food + kibble (we agreed on no kibble)) and the cats fur was heavily matted and full of dried poo. I got the cat out of that situation into a much better one. Its sad that they would lie just to get a cat that would be used as a toy for their kids.
I dont want that to happen again and im unsure how, many people just straight up lie ):
OMG. That’s horrible, I don’t understand how people can mistreat animals, any animal! It’s so sad but I’m so glad you were able to get the poor little kitty out of there….you hear a lot of mistreated animals..we had a neighbor who had a dog that was chained outside 24/7 with no shelter…we had mentioned it and they finally at least put a dog house there. The neighbor next to him had a dog chained outside their front door and I noticed every time they came home the dog would be wagging it’s tail looking for attention and they wouldn’t even pet him..just walked right by…so many people can be so cruel! They should be treated the same…

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely give something the kitten was familiar with (blanket,toy)
When my cats were old enough to be neutered/spayed there was a vet that would go to a local pet store once a month and i was able to get shots for a discounted price. There was also a “spayed wagon” as it was called that would travel to different towns in the area that would spay or neuter cats at a big discount. I think get get grants for it. That’s where most of my cats went, the vets charge so much $…

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It happens all the time. The worst is those wanting them to train hunting dogs. It would be great if you could send a small fleece blanket along, it would smell familiar and bring comfort. Maybe a couple of cans of food too. There ARE good people out there that would cherish your kittens, I hope you find them.
Thank you! I havent thought of hunting dogs, thats just terrible

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely give something the kitten was familiar with (blanket,toy)
When my cats were old enough to be neutered/spayed there was a vet that would go to a local pet store once a month and i was able to get shots for a discounted price. There was also a “spayed wagon” as it was called that would travel to different towns in the area that would spay or neuter cats at a big discount. I think get get grants for it. That’s where most of my cats went, the vets charge so much $…
I'll look into it, perhaps I could contact a TNR group I may be able to ask them for a trustworthy vet with reasonable prices.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
i can’t believe I just read that. Can’t they just use like a scented rag or something? Is there some organization for the prevention of this?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten's that you've rehome to people you know ask them to tell people they know that you have more kitten's looking for home's. I rehomed one kitten and it turned to three kitten's getting rehomed, because people saw my kitten. I didn't even know that they wanted a cat. They might know someone who would take good care of a cat. I was asked by the person who I got my kitten to put the word out they needed home's.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Free kittens often become bait for hunting dogs or food for large snakes. You should consider charging something, even a small amount as it tends to ward off people looking for dog bait or snake food. If you find a group that helps with spaying and neutering, they might also be able to help you find homes for the kittens. The group that I TNR with also helps find homes for cats and kittens. It certainly would not hurt to ask.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm finding it very hard to get my black torties adopted, many dont want them due to their coat colour ):

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are advertising the kitten's on the Internet, maybe you should go with the sassy tortituude boss of the house when telling people about them. Point out thier fun side, what sweethearts they are. When I got my last kitten the neighbour said to me I only have one tux the rest unfortunately are black. It really wasn't a good sell for the black kittens but I wanted a house panther. The people that are not taking the kittens because of their colour probably wouldn't be the best anyway. I've always found if someone really wants a cat it doesn't matter what colour they are. My brother had the sweetest tortie girl, it's so sad people who say they want a kitten would be so fussy.

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are advertising the kitten's on the Internet, maybe you should go with the sassy tortituude boss of the house when telling people about them. Point out thier fun side, what sweethearts they are. When I got my last kitten the neighbour said to me I only have one tux the rest unfortunately are black. It really wasn't a good sell for the black kittens but I wanted a house panther. The people that are not taking the kittens because of their colour probably wouldn't be the best anyway. I've always found if someone really wants a cat it doesn't matter what colour they are. My brother had the sweetest tortie girl, it's so sad people who say they want a kitten would be so fussy.
I have tried, I include a lot of photos and a description of each cat's personality and what i love most about them. All my kittens are reserved except for the tories. I cant seem to find someone that just wants any cat. One "possible" adopter wanted a kitten exactly like one I had rescued a year back (A 'shaded' cat that was probably lost, definitely a well bred cat - which her friend adopted), I told her she cant 'order' a specific kitten and asked her if she wanted any of the ones available, she at first wanted my blue kitten, decided she didnt want a girl and was going to choose between a ginger or cream male, she went with cream (cream, barely visible tabby markings, looks like a solid) and asked if it would look like a blue golden british shorthair?? I assumed she didnt know much about cats and told her she could get one of the cats she wanted at a cattery, I asked again if she still wanted the cat and she said ofc. She kept asking what breed my cats were and the coat colour and if i was sure he wouldnt look like the blue golden cat she wanted bc she thought his facial features were close to a british shorthair. Needless to say I told her she wouldnt get a cat from me. People treat cats like objects, its like theyre trying to get a "trending" colour / breed