Prozac for cat spraying

debh1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi 2Bengals,

Here's a couple of suggestions.  Rather than try to give all the pill in one meal - break it up into two or three separate feedings. That way the smell/flavor isn't so overwhelming. Try finding the most stinky delicious cat food - Iams makes some that are pretty pungent - and putting the crushed portion of the pill in there. Also, give peanut butter a try. 

love my siamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So glad that I found this site!  We brought in a 2nd cat Abby figuring our 1st cat Wendy needed someone to play with.  Well everything went totally WRONG!  :(  Wendy and Abby didn't get along very well and it only got worse as time passed.  We thought about returning Abby, however my wife was already hooked so that option quickly went away.  Next thing you know we find pee on one of our counter tops in the kitchen!  Quickly we found out that it was actually Wendy doing the peeing so we were at a loss.  We of course tried everything that they suggested including vet checks, multiple litter boxes, extra attention to Wendy, keeping the 2 cats apart most of the day but making sure they shared space and finally we got the Nature Miracle cleaner and a hormone spay for the areas she had gone in.  Well those two things work GREAT for keeping her from peeing in those spots again but then she just moves on to another location.  Today we had 3 new spots which was by far a record, and this is with her being locked up when we're not home, so we were all but DONE until I came across this site.  I immediately called the vet and we're ordering our Prozac right NOW!  I will be back in a couple of weeks to report on how it's going but keep your fingers crossed for us.  Thanks Everyone!!!  Major :)

alex333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love My Siamese - so how has it gone so far with the Prozac? My vet just prescribed one of my two cats that today. She says they have "treat" forms of it and cats love it.

patti isom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just went on Prozac today. I put the 1/2 pill in a little ball of Velveeta and he loved it. It's a real treat for him so he was happy to take it. I'm hoping he's one of those cats who is a little less anxious in a few days. Fingers crossed!

debh1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw a huge difference in less than 5 days. The marking went from 5-6 times a day to once every couple of weeks. I still break open his Prozac capsule and mix into his Iams wet food (super deliciously stinky). He's such a happy kitty now. One thing, the vet originally prescribed a full capsule but I found that my Megatron was a zombie. So I experimented with half a capsule per day and Bingo! Happy kitty, no marking and not doped up.

M3ssyc4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am at my wits end with my cat peeing everywhere. I have a 16 year old Bengal and when he started spraying everywhere, the vet did a full geriatric work up and did all kinds of tests and could not find a thing wrong with him. We started him on Clomicalm and it worked like a charm! But then he started howling every time he went to pee in the litter and the vet said it was probably causing him urine retention which sometimes happens with that drug. We cut the dosage from a half pill down to a quarter and it worked. All was well for quite a while, but then we noticed he started spraying again. So I tried increasing the dosage back up to a half pill and he he started howling in the litter again.

Now the vet wants to try him on Fluoxitine. Unfortunately it meant having to stop the clomicalm for a few days before starting on it, and he immediately started spraying again. We started it on tuesday so it's been 3 days and so far nothing. He even peed on us in bed last night! :(

Even worse, the clomicalm came in pill form and he would eat it up easily inside a pill pocket treat. The fluoxitine comes in the form of tuna flavored chews but my cat won't touch them. I've had to resort to shoving it down his throat, which is awful and stressful and not at all fun.

I am so worried that this will not work like the clomicalm did. And I need to get this to stop!

M3ssyc4t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw a huge difference in less than 5 days. The marking went from 5-6 times a day to once every couple of weeks. I still break open his Prozac capsule and mix into his Iams wet food (super deliciously stinky). He's such a happy kitty now. One thing, the vet originally prescribed a full capsule but I found that my Megatron was a zombie. So I experimented with half a capsule per day and Bingo! Happy kitty, no marking and not doped up.
What dosage are you giving? My vet has just started us on 2.5mg and so far it isn't doing anything (it's only been 3 days).

AngelaSanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just beginning this journey with one of my cats for a rash she gets and licks compulsively every few months. Since we have tried everything else, including allergy testing and shots (without success), doc wants to see if this is compulsive behavior. I don't want to keep giving her steroid shots 2x year. I got a 2 months liquid supply from compound pharmacy and she foamed terribly so I called vet and pharmacy and the problem is the oils - the cat either tolerates or not. So we are now going to try capsules - they are size 4 about 1/2 inch. This stuff is costing me a lot more money that what you guys are saying. It was $60 for the liquid and it was $61 for 100 capsules.