Problems with Purina Pro Plan??

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So not even targeting one brand anymore. Stella and Chewy's and Instinct are made by two completely different companies than Purina.
Yup more brands are being targeted now Orijen, Taste of the Wild, and Organix have now been added to the list. They said more to come as they collect data from a survey the recommend people do. They also post things like the big 3 companies(Hills, Purina, & Royal Canin) pay veterinary schools tituitons, pay vet clinics to sell their food, give them kickbacks and etc. If someone goes oh I switched to a food like IAMS or Royal Canin they get tons of comments like don’t feed those they are junk food. On their do not recommend list is every single commercial pet food. Their recommend list is mainly raw or freeze dried food. I seen a few people on TikTok who mainly do raw feeding dismiss this group. Every post the owner of the group Kelly posts about her dog dying from Hills I/D food 2 weeks before recall and she was part of a lawsuit that won. I don’t know what fully happened to her dog but she created the group cause of it. They keep getting new members every time someone mentions a pet food you see in stores they are told to switch immediately. People also suggesting watching a documentary Pet Fooled which attacks the 3 big brands Hills, Purina & Royal Canin it’s a fear mongering documentary from what I heard.

Last edited:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx If the question is, is the product being out of date, no matter where the product comes from the company, Chewy, Amazon, your local pet store, the expiration date will be printed on the bag/cans. This date is put on before the product leaves the company and if someone removes it or tampers with it, that will be obvious. It's up to the customer to take the time to find and read the expiration date no matter how they buy the product.
No the question is mainly could it be a shipping or storage problem. Also if there supposedly is a problem could it be something else that is not any pet companies doings. I always check the date, bag and can of the food I get before I buy it. If it looks off I don’t buy it at all I look for a different one.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, right, got 'cha. Glad I was wrong.
I didn’t mean to confuse you I know it looks like I meant dates but I really mean it could be a storage or shipping issue. I only mentioned dates cause I saw a review where someone ordered a bag of food and got one that was expired luckily they threw it out after they smelled it was spoiled and saw it was expired. That is why I mentioned about warehouse workers checking dates. But I really mean if it could be a shipping or storage issue.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been very conflicted on this matter. In general, I am very passionate about feline nutrition, and I have always considered the top brands (Purina, Hill's and Royal Canin) as great pet food manufacturers, with plenty of options all well backed by science. Purina and others are also the ones pushing forward research on how food can help several conditions of our beloved cats. All the renal diets, for example, are the results of years of study sponsored by those big brands.

I also don't buy the idea of Purina and other big companies being bad, evil, etc.

Initially I considered these rumors as BS. As others said, many people in that FB group support raw feeding, small brands with zero science behind their formulas, etc.

But two days ago I started thinking differently, considering a few factors:

- First of all, the founder of the FB group is the owner of a dog who unfortunately passed away a few years ago, likely because of tainted food from Hill's (too much Vitamin D). That person was the lead plaintiff in a class action that ended up with a settlement (not with a win in court, as many think). A settlement does not mean that Hill's was wrong, but it is also a sign that Hill's position was not the best. Most likely the evidence was supporting the fact that food was tainted and that potentially it could cause harm and death, and it was most likely proven that the dog of the FB group owner died for unexplained circumstances and that he was fed Hill's;

- Secondly, I listened to the most recent video from the holistic vet who is backing this current survey of ongoing issues, and it was different from what I was expecting. I was expecting to hear the typical crazy person who says Purina is evil, but I found someone who clearly stated her points, highlighted how nobody knows what happens and whether the food is tainted and how what they are doing is collecting reports (after noticing a sudden increase in difficult to explain sickness in dogs and cats), sending samples to labs for testing, and keeping the community updated;

- The FB group is truly filled with weird reports. People who have multiple cats who suddenly fall sick and die; people who have dogs and cats with zero health issues (as long as the owner knows) who suddenly develop unstoppable diarrhea, and the common denominator is that all of these people are feeding Purina Pro Plan or other formulas to their pets. Sure, Purina is one of the most popular brands so it's likely that the vast majority of people who have a sick pet are feeding Purina (even if the food is completely unrelated to the sickness).

- Personal story. My cat George is 11 years old. He has always been doing well and he goes to the vet every three months for a full checkup for a kidney issue that is now stable. In November he suddenly fell sick, uncontrollable diarrhea, vomiting, etc. He has been hospitalized for days. Initially the doctors thought this was pancreatitis because we just adopted two new kittens and maybe George was stressed. He also ate some of the kitten food which is richer than his food. Diarrhea did not stop even with strong medications. We did a biopsy to the intestine and it looks like he has small cell lymphoma. He started prednisolone and chlorambucil and he is now recovering (not fully back to normal, but almost). Guess which food I was feeding him? Purina Pro Plan. Is the food the reason of his sickness? I don't think so, even if it would be lovely to know that the food is the culprit and that he doesn't have small cell lymphoma.

- Finally, Purina says this is all BS and that they have done their tests. I trust them and I know they are in good faith, but it's also true that sometimes it's difficult to find an issue in pet food supply chain. In the big melamine recall in the early 2000, it took several tests and several doctors and professors to finally understand what the problem was.

Could this be all BS? Sure. Could this be a real issue and Purina has not pinpointed the problem yet? Maybe. What to do in the meantime?

Well, at least for me, I just switched George to non-Purina. I am giving him one of his old style favorites, Natural Balance Duck. Duck is a novel protein so it's good for his alleged IBD/small cell lymphoma and the quality of the food is on par with his Purina Pro Plan.

I'll just wait a few weeks and see. Either the FB group comes back with interesting lab results or Purina finds an issue in their supply chain, or we will know that everything is all right.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't and won't use farcebook (intentional spelling)

The enquirer is more reliable than that website at this point.

For me, unspecified meats and things like corn are nonos. Nobody likes mystery meat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been very conflicted on this matter. In general, I am very passionate about feline nutrition, and I have always considered the top brands (Purina, Hill's and Royal Canin) as great pet food manufacturers, with plenty of options all well backed by science. Purina and others are also the ones pushing forward research on how food can help several conditions of our beloved cats. All the renal diets, for example, are the results of years of study sponsored by those big brands.

I also don't buy the idea of Purina and other big companies being bad, evil, etc.

Initially I considered these rumors as BS. As others said, many people in that FB group support raw feeding, small brands with zero science behind their formulas, etc.

- First of all, the founder of the FB group is the owner of a dog who unfortunately passed away a few years ago, likely because of tainted food from Hill's (too much Vitamin D). That person was the lead plaintiff in a class action that ended up with a settlement (not with a win in court, as many think). A settlement does not mean that Hill's was wrong, but it is also a sign that Hill's position was not the best. Most likely the evidence was supporting the fact that food was tainted and that potentially it could cause harm and death, and it was most likely proven that the dog of the FB group owner died for unexplained circumstances and that he was fed Hill's;

- Secondly, I listened to the most recent video from the holistic vet who is backing this current survey of ongoing issues, and it was different from what I was expecting. I was expecting to hear the typical crazy person who says Purina is evil, but I found someone who clearly stated her points, highlighted how nobody knows what happens and whether the food is tainted and how what they are doing is collecting reports (after noticing a sudden increase in difficult to explain sickness in dogs and cats), sending samples to labs for testing, and keeping the community updated;

- The FB group is truly filled with weird reports. People who have multiple cats who suddenly fall sick and die; people who have dogs and cats with zero health issues (as long as the owner knows) who suddenly develop unstoppable diarrhea, and the common denominator is that all of these people are feeding Purina Pro Plan or other formulas to their pets. Sure, Purina is one of the most popular brands so it's likely that the vast majority of people who have a sick pet are feeding Purina (even if the food is completely unrelated to the sickness).

- Personal story. My cat George is 11 years old. He has always been doing well and he goes to the vet every three months for a full checkup for a kidney issue that is now stable. In November he suddenly fell sick, uncontrollable diarrhea, vomiting, etc. He has been hospitalized for days. Initially the doctors thought this was pancreatitis because we just adopted two new kittens and maybe George was stressed. He also ate some of the kitten food which is richer than his food. Diarrhea did not stop even with strong medications. We did a biopsy to the intestine and it looks like he has small cell lymphoma. He started prednisolone and chlorambucil and he is now recovering (not fully back to normal, but almost). Guess which food I was feeding him? Purina Pro Plan. Is the food the reason of his sickness? I don't think so, even if it would be lovely to know that the food is the culprit and that he doesn't have small cell lymphoma.

- Finally, Purina says this is all BS and that they have done their tests. I trust them and I know they are in good faith, but it's also true that sometimes it's difficult to find an issue in pet food supply chain. In the big melamine recall in the early 2000, it took several tests and several doctors and professors to finally understand what the problem was.

Could this be all BS? Sure. Could this be a real issue and Purina has not pinpointed the problem yet? Maybe. What to do in the meantime?

Well, at least for me, I just switched George to non-Purina. I am giving him one of his old style favorites, Natural Balance Duck. Duck is a novel protein so it's good for his alleged IBD/small cell lymphoma and the quality of the food is on par with his Purina Pro Plan.

I'll just wait a few weeks and see. Either the FB group comes back with interesting lab results or Purina finds an issue in their supply chain, or we will know that everything is all right.
To be legitimate though, multiple people would have to come back with the same results. Dry food can easily be spoiled based on personal storage solutions.

If it was a problem with the food at the level of Purina's end, I would expect to see many more animals sick than just a few hundred considering how many people in North America feed their pets Purina.

Anyway, I do hope your cat feels better soon. Mind the peas in Natural Balance though. Studies are underway to know if peas cause issues in cats.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be legitimate though, multiple people would have to come back with the same results. Dry food can easily be spoiled based on personal storage solutions.
I agree with you and this is a good point. Moreover, I was at the vet with George the cat a few days ago. I asked multiple doctors at the hospital, including their board-certified nutritionist, if they were seeing a higher-than-normal volume of cats with weird issues and the answer was NO. They were not even aware of the rumors about Purina.

Anyway, I do hope your cat feels better soon. Mind the peas in Natural Balance though. Studies are underway to know if peas cause issues in cats.
Thank you. I have switched to Natural Balance just to avoid feeling bad if something happens in the short term and we find out that there truly were tainted foods. I'll wait a few weeks and then eventually try to transition him to a hydrolyzed diet, which should be the target diet for him, according to his board-certified nutritionist.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with you and this is a good point. Moreover, I was at the vet with George the cat a few days ago. I asked multiple doctors at the hospital, including their board-certified nutritionist, if they were seeing a higher-than-normal volume of cats with weird issues and the answer was NO. They were not even aware of the rumors about Purina.

Thank you. I have switched to Natural Balance just to avoid feeling bad if something happens in the short term and we find out that there truly were tainted foods. I'll wait a few weeks and then eventually try to transition him to a hydrolyzed diet, which should be the target diet for him, according to his board-certified nutritionist.
Oh does he have allergies? That can be hard to mange. Hopefully the hydrolyzed diet goes well for you. Just keep an eye out on the Natural Balance. :) One study says short term peas are fine and another said short term peas caused heart issues. We have to wait until they narrow it down further in studies.

botolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh does he have allergies? That can be hard to mange. Hopefully the hydrolyzed diet goes well for you. Just keep an eye out on the Natural Balance. :) One study says short term peas are fine and another said short term peas caused heart issues. We have to wait until they narrow it down further in studies.
He does not have any diagnosed allergy, but the nutritionist explained to me that small cell lymphoma is often a consequence of IBD and that there is no consensus on diet for small cell lymphoma...the safest approach is to treat like IBD.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It’s not just Purina it has spread across multiple brands lately. People ask detail questions like what breed is their dog cause some breeds are prone to illness that can come quickly and suddenly. The person that asks more questions gets shamed and blocked from the group. They have attributed food to illnesses that cannot be caused by food. One woman asked if her puppy having Parvo could be cause of the food. They told her yes when that is wrong. Parvo doesn’t come from food at all. If someone asks for food recommendations they are shown a list of very expensive food most raw or freeze dried food. That or directed to Susan Thixton(owner of Truth About Pet Food) for a list of safe pet food but you have to pay $10 to see it. When asked about lab results they are told in a week or few that was 1 week ago.

I am aware of the owner of that FB group story. Her doggy was 12 I think when he passed he was her service dog since she has Alzheimer’s. Sadly that can happen with any pet food brand. It’s why companies like Purina do testing every day it’s why Purina did a voluntary recall last year for a dog food that had issues. I do think the group initially wanted to help. But then it became a huge anti commercial pet food group. They are huge advocates for raw feeding, freeze dried, or home cooked foods which on them pets can still get sick. Pets are just like us they handle food differently. While many may be okay on foods it may not agree with others.

Since many have said they ordered it online from Chewy or Amazon it makes me think there is a storage or shipping issue. Which means it is no brands fault as they can’t control what happens once it leaves the factories. I once ordered treats for both Nera(my dog), Casper & Scooter from Amazon during prime day. Both treat bags had a small hole in them. When I opened the cats treat it had an off smell and they would not touch it so I threw it out. Plus I learned the hard way don’t dump dry food in a storage container it will spoil faster and bugs get in. So I keep the cats dry food in the bag and I put the bag in the storage container. Of course I keep the bag sealed with a bag clip too. Nera she only eats 1 kind of dog food which is Simply Chicken from Cesar so her food is fine.

Many hate companies like Purina cause their parent companies are bigger companies. Purina is owned by Nestle, Royal Canin is owned Mars and Hill’s is owned by Cologate. Each of those companies owns more pet food brands too which is apparently a big no no why idk. So many hate the brands for that reason.

That FB is extremely toxic they have a hidden agenda. They are also against flea/tick treatments and vaccines. Before I stopped looking at the group I saw one person say they were taking their dog to get groomed but proof of vaccination is needed. Which a lot of groomers ask that they want proof vaccinations. A mod told the woman how to fake vaccinations record. I don’t agree with that at all. I can’t wait til things calm down soon cause it breaks my heart to see many pet parents panic cause of this.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That FB is extremely toxic they have a hidden agenda. They are also against flea/tick treatments and vaccines. Before I stopped looking at the group I saw one person say they were taking their dog to get groomed but proof of vaccination is needed. Which a lot of groomers ask that they want proof vaccinations. A mod told the woman how to fake vaccinations record. I don’t agree with that at all. I can’t wait til things calm down soon cause it breaks my heart to see many pet parents panic cause of this.
That is so disturbing! The groomers ask for proof of vaccination so that their locations don't become grounds for spreading preventable diseases.

Parvo is a big example of it. It lives on indoor and outdoor surfaces for years.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so disturbing! The groomers ask for proof of vaccination so that their locations don't become grounds for spreading preventable diseases.

Parvo is a big example of it. It lives on indoor and outdoor surfaces for years.
It is very disturbing and disgusting behavior. Vaccines are crucial in not only keeping your pet safe but other pets safe too. The mod even told the person how to do it. I won’t repeat it either. But said the workers wouldn’t know if it’s fake or not. Idk if it’s illegal to do that but I know it’s dangerous and so disturbing.

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll pop in here. I’ve feeding my cats several different flavors of pro plan wet cat food. They recently changed their formula, at least the name of the products, and one of my boys throws up his food every single time he eats it. Something is in it that just doesn’t sit right. I’ve got him on Fancy Feast right now because he’s so darned picky — and he’s doing great. I don’t know what’s going on but I know it doesn’t work for Hank!

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Purina Pro Plan dry kibble for over a year now, switching between the Weight Management one as well as the Indoor Health one.

One of my boys has had a bought of diarrhea within the last week or two but it also seemingly came at a time where I was introducing a new cat to the household and using Churu for the first time ever with them as a sort of incentive with meet and greets - He sometimes gets into these phases when a big change is introduced to his diet, so I'm thinking it's likely that. He's seemingly the only one with it and I have not used any for days and it seems to be calming down so I can't really say I want to attribute it to the Purina kibble. Outside of the diarhea he was having, there was nothing odd or different about his behavior and habits. The other two cats, my 7 year old and the one I just adopted in December, both aren't having any sort of issue.

Wish there was something more definitive because its always hard not to stress/freak out with things like this.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll pop in here. I’ve feeding my cats several different flavors of pro plan wet cat food. They recently changed their formula, at least the name of the products, and one of my boys throws up his food every single time he eats it. Something is in it that just doesn’t sit right. I’ve got him on Fancy Feast right now because he’s so darned picky — and he’s doing great. I don’t know what’s going on but I know it doesn’t work for Hank!
Cats digest things differently sometimes some things do agree with them. Before his UTI for Scooter it was Friskies shredded food or the farm favorites that did not agree with him. The Purina Pro Plan urinary dry didn’t agree with him either. 9 lives and Meow Mix didn’t agree with him either which those were when he was a kitten before I switched to Friskies. Casper only the Friskies farm favorites didn’t agree with him. But I would never blame the brand I would just be like ok that doesn’t agree with him let’s try different.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Purina Pro Plan dry kibble for over a year now, switching between the Weight Management one as well as the Indoor Health one.

One of my boys has had a bought of diarrhea within the last week or two but it also seemingly came at a time where I was introducing a new cat to the household and using Churu for the first time ever with them as a sort of incentive with meet and greets - He sometimes gets into these phases when a big change is introduced to his diet, so I'm thinking it's likely that. He's seemingly the only one with it and I have not used any for days and it seems to be calming down so I can't really say I want to attribute it to the Purina kibble. Outside of the diarhea he was having, there was nothing odd or different about his behavior and habits. The other two cats, my 7 year old and the one I just adopted in December, both aren't having any sort of issue.

Wish there was something more definitive because its always hard not to stress/freak out with things like this.
Cats can react differently when there is big changes in the house. Which can cause some to have an upset stomach or so for a bit. Cause if you are feeding them all the same food if it was the food all kitties would be sick. But trust me I know the feeling when I first saw it I panicked. Even though Nera eats Cesar Simply Chicken dog food she does eat Beggin Strips from Purina. Casper & Scooter eat Purina Pro Plan urinary tract wet food & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry food. I didn’t sleep for 2 days cause I monitored them. Then my OCD kicked in so I kept checking the treats and dry food. But then I saw more positive reassuring things and stopped looking at that group and I skip videos of anyone who mentions them. If you knew what this group is doing you would know how unreliable they are. They attributed the food for causes of illnesses that can’t be caused by food. They do shady stuff too. If there was anything wrong Purina and the other brands would have found something by now. My advice to anyone do not join the FB group and skip videos of anyone mentioning them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ugh that sucks when it no longer works for your cats! They did change all of their recipes over starting in 2020 and ending recently. I had to move our cats from the dry food due to Magnus's allergies 😔

I'm sure some others are in the same boat as you! I'm glad you found that Fancy Feast works! I had the opposite and mine wouldn't eat the Fancy Feast (even Nobel back in Feb and he did eat it when younger).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is an investigation under way but the chances of it being the food at the manufacturer end (Purina) is very low right now with the low amount of cats sick.

In 2021 in the UK a food caused illness and in two months it climbed to 300 cats. That's what we would see here on a MUCH larger scale (think of the size difference). Lots of sick cats very quickly and veterinarians by the thousands talking about a "mystery illness". The symptoms of the pets would follow a pattern as well as the illness would be the same one....not all these random things happening.

Your anxiety wants pattern recognition just as much as mine does I'm sure! There's no illness pattern to what is going on because it's people linking the things that are happening to the food without actually knowing causation.

I'll also gently suggest disconnecting from the information stream on it. And always always reach out to a mental health professional if you have accessible (to you) services in your area and are hyper-focusing on something causing you anxiety.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is an investigation under way but the chances of it being the food at the manufacturer end (Purina) is very low right now with the low amount of cats sick.

In 2021 in the UK a food caused illness and in two months it climbed to 300 cats. That's what we would see here on a MUCH larger scale (think of the size difference). Lots of sick cats very quickly and veterinarians by the thousands talking about a "mystery illness". The symptoms of the pets would follow a pattern as well as the illness would be the same one....not all these random things happening.

Your anxiety wants pattern recognition just as much as mine does I'm sure! There's no illness pattern to what is going on because it's people linking the things that are happening to the food without actually knowing causation.

I'll also gently suggest disconnecting from the information stream on it. And always always reach out to a mental health professional if you have accessible (to you) services in your area and are hyper-focusing on something causing you anxiety.
Yeah I never deep dive into things like this, just for my own sanity, so I'm good on that front. Even with that said though, it is still tucked into my mind. However, I'm glad to hear all this. My one boy has already been doing way better with his stool as well anyways, before I even found out about this, so I figure we're good in this household.