Problems with Purina Pro Plan??

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to know and keep an eye out.

Hard to know in some of those quoted cases if the food is the issue though.

Here's Purina's statement now: Purina Response to Online Rumors

No statements from FDA or Health Canada yet. Purina did a big voluntary recall just last year so I'm inclined to believe it's okay for now.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina is still sus in my eyes. Ive had to many puky cats on their so called "food" for my liking. I just don't trust it.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Consumer Reports of Sick/Dying Pets Linked to Purina
So apperently the only thing that is officialy confirmed is that the fda is investigating the reports. Not much else is available except that some of the reports come from a facebook group.
It’s coming from a FB group called Saving Pets One @ a Time. The owner of the group started the page after her dog died eating Hill’s 2 months before a recall 5 years ago. It is apparently a holistic group as the vets who mod it are holistic vets. All the foods they recommend are Raw or Freeze dried raw foods. They trash any and all commercial foods. The Dr Judy Morgan a holistic vet is now saying it’s not just Purina that other brands are having the same issue. They won’t say what brands just says make sure you follow the group. They are creating hysteria for many pet parents.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know and keep an eye out.

Hard to know in some of those quoted cases if the food is the issue though.

Here's Purina's statement now: Purina Response to Online Rumors

No statements from FDA or Health Canada yet. Purina did a big voluntary recall just last year so I'm inclined to believe it's okay for now.
I’m definitely keeping an eye on it since my boys eat Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry. Seeing everything from that facebook grdid send me in a panic. Cause if a recall happens then idk what I am going to do. Scooter threw up on Hills and neither one would touch Royal Canin. The blue Buffalo urinary food isn’t in my area and I don’t like that brand anyway. My only option left is IAMS urinary for dry but idk what I would do for wet.

It is mostly dogs that are getting sick but many are saying cats too. Scooter & Casper have not gotten sick and I just opened a new bag of the dry food. They have had no issues at all. They seem to thrive on the food for now. Plus I have fed some form of Purina with every single pet I have owned they all lived long lives. I did have one die young it wasn’t cause of any food I fed him it was cause my old neighbor poisoned him with antifreeze. The only thing that calmed me was seeing few honest vets speak on it. Plus I remember all pets are different what may be fine for some may not agree for others. The FDA is apparently currently investigating it. So until they say it has to be recalled I’m going to believe it’s fine for now. I mean like you stated Purina voluntarily did recall Pro Plan dog food last year so it shows they are doing testing. I don’t think they brought that food back yet. But I hate that FB caused an uproar especially for anxious pet parents like me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m definitely keeping an eye on it since my boys eat Purina Pro Plan Urinary wet & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry. Seeing everything from that facebook grdid send me in a panic. Cause if a recall happens then idk what I am going to do. Scooter threw up on Hills and neither one would touch Royal Canin. The blue Buffalo urinary food isn’t in my area and I don’t like that brand anyway. My only option left is IAMS urinary for dry but idk what I would do for wet.

It is mostly dogs that are getting sick but many are saying cats too. Scooter & Casper have not gotten sick and I just opened a new bag of the dry food. They have had no issues at all. They seem to thrive on the food for now. Plus I have fed some form of Purina with every single pet I have owned they all lived long lives. I did have one die young it wasn’t cause of any food I fed him it was cause my old neighbor poisoned him with antifreeze. The only thing that calmed me was seeing few honest vets speak on it. Plus I remember all pets are different what may be fine for some may not agree for others. The FDA is apparently currently investigating it. So until they say it has to be recalled I’m going to believe it’s fine for now. I mean like you stated Purina voluntarily did recall Pro Plan dog food last year so it shows they are doing testing. I don’t think they brought that food back yet. But I hate that FB caused an uproar especially for anxious pet parents like me.
I did warn my wife about the hullabaloo for the same reason. It was a couple years ago there was a food in Europe causing issues and the deaths were in the thousands. So if Purina was causing all those serious issues my thoughts are that in a big area like North America there would be much more than "800 effected pets".

Further, note that one of the main quotes the owner literally states that the vet thinks it's a brain tumor in her older pet. If there was legitimacy to this claim I would think there would be many better statements to quote no?

My other thing is, there's been HUGE issues with food storage the FDA and Health Canada have warned for years. But TikTok and all these other places are promoting these "cute" and "aesthetic" food storage containers. Pet food is meant to be stored in the bag it comes in, in a container.
When stored in those "aesthetic" containers it scratches the containers, bacteria builds up in the scratches even if you clean the container and can cause pets to be seriously ill. The person with the many sick dogs vomiting and diahreah...well that's the first question I would ask them. The two dogs on raw could be fine because they don't eat food from a contaminated container.
But who knows.....I'm the weirdo who sanitizes litter boxes twice a month.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the food in a container like this.
Amazon.ca

It stays in the bag until i need it then I pour it into a smaller version of the container i keep under my counter.

They aren't cutesy or anything but they keep my cats from ripping the bags opened.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I keep the food in a container like this.
Amazon.ca

It stays in the bag until i need it then I pour it into a smaller version of the container i keep under my counter.

They aren't cutesy or anything but they keep my cats from ripping the bags opened.
I just store the bag in a basic 6Qt

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did warn my wife about the hullabaloo for the same reason. It was a couple years ago there was a food in Europe causing issues and the deaths were in the thousands. So if Purina was causing all those serious issues my thoughts are that in a big area like North America there would be much more than "800 effected pets".

Further, note that one of the main quotes the owner literally states that the vet thinks it's a brain tumor in her older pet. If there was legitimacy to this claim I would think there would be many better statements to quote no?

My other thing is, there's been HUGE issues with food storage the FDA and Health Canada have warned for years. But TikTok and all these other places are promoting these "cute" and "aesthetic" food storage containers. Pet food is meant to be stored in the bag it comes in, in a container.
When stored in those "aesthetic" containers it scratches the containers, bacteria builds up in the scratches even if you clean the container and can cause pets to be seriously ill. The person with the many sick dogs vomiting and diahreah...well that's the first question I would ask them. The two dogs on raw could be fine because they don't eat food from a contaminated container.
But who knows.....I'm the weirdo who sanitizes litter boxes twice a month.
I remember that in Europe cause it was on the news here. I have the same thoughts if it was indeed the food more then hundreds of pets would be sick. Although majority of the pets sick are dogs more then hundreds of dogs would be sick. The FB group(which I need to stop looking at really) is now saying it’s across many brands now the brands being Royal Canin, Merrick, Pure Balance, Instinct and Stella & Chewy’s brands but more brands to be added. They are causing hysteria and panic among multiple brands now. No matter what pet food you look up there is always going to be someone that said the food made their pet throw up. It just means that the food didn’t agree with their pet. Pets are like us in some way what may be fine for some will not agree with others.

I am wondering if it’s a storage issue that could be spoiling the food quicker. Many have stated they have ordered from Chewy cause they are getting refunds from Chewy. When you order food online from sites like Chewy, Amazon and etc the food comes from that site’s warehouse. Who knows how long the food sits in the warehouse or if the workers check dates before shipping it out. So I am wondering if something is happening there or during shipping to cause the issue. I buy the wet food in store at Petco and dry food at Walmart I haven’t had an issue with spoiled food. Plus the dry food I keep in the bag I just put the bag in a container so my boys don’t rip the bag open. I stopped dumping it out of the bag when once the container got knocked over and pet food went everywhere. So I just put the bag in the container now and keep the bag shut with a bag clip after I get food out.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Dr Judy Morgan a holistic vet is now saying it’s not just Purina that other brands are having the same issue.
They talked about that in a youtube video. The problem could be affecting more than that one brand which means it’s a supplement issue from a supplier since one supplier could provide to more than one company. Or it could be a problem in the production because different brands can be produced in the same facility.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand why someone would buy a Nestle product. I’ve never bought purina just for the fact that it’s Nestle.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand why someone would buy a Nestle product. I’ve never bought purina just for the fact that it’s Nestle.
Cause some of their products are actually good. I know people hate the company for some shady stuff but really no company is innocent all have done shady stuff. Just because the head people are bad doesn’t mean the products they make are. Plus in many places that is all that’s available.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because they are one of the few lines that have longitudinal testing. Or because they don't put peas and legumes in their foods (current studies underway to see if legumes cause heart disease in cats), recently was shown to in dogs AFTER the foods had been on the market for years. Or because it's all that's affordable or all that's available, or or or.

We shouldn't judge people's choices. We are all doing what we think is best.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember that in Europe cause it was on the news here. I have the same thoughts if it was indeed the food more then hundreds of pets would be sick. Although majority of the pets sick are dogs more then hundreds of dogs would be sick. The FB group(which I need to stop looking at really) is now saying it’s across many brands now the brands being Royal Canin, Merrick, Pure Balance, Instinct and Stella & Chewy’s brands but more brands to be added. They are causing hysteria and panic among multiple brands now. No matter what pet food you look up there is always going to be someone that said the food made their pet throw up. It just means that the food didn’t agree with their pet. Pets are like us in some way what may be fine for some will not agree with others.

I am wondering if it’s a storage issue that could be spoiling the food quicker. Many have stated they have ordered from Chewy cause they are getting refunds from Chewy. When you order food online from sites like Chewy, Amazon and etc the food comes from that site’s warehouse. Who knows how long the food sits in the warehouse or if the workers check dates before shipping it out. So I am wondering if something is happening there or during shipping to cause the issue. I buy the wet food in store at Petco and dry food at Walmart I haven’t had an issue with spoiled food. Plus the dry food I keep in the bag I just put the bag in a container so my boys don’t rip the bag open. I stopped dumping it out of the bag when once the container got knocked over and pet food went everywhere. So I just put the bag in the container now and keep the bag shut with a bag clip after I get food out.

So not even targeting one brand anymore. Stella and Chewy's and Instinct are made by two completely different companies than Purina.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
xlynnbbyx xlynnbbyx If the question is, is the product being out of date, no matter where the product comes from the company, Chewy, Amazon, your local pet store, the expiration date will be printed on the bag/cans. This date is put on before the product leaves the company and if someone removes it or tampers with it, that will be obvious. It's up to the customer to take the time to find and read the expiration date no matter how they buy the product.