Problems with Purina Pro Plan??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats chicken and rice pro plan. In October I sent back 2 cases to chewys becuase it smelt like different.
The last several cases I’ve gotten have that similar smell. The difference is now my cats do not want to eat it. They will eventually go to their plates and eat but they refuse at first go.
My cats are very picky. This is the food they love. I switched from FF medley about 2 years ago when I noticed the food was rotted.

I think it’s a sign of they do not want to eat. Their breath stinks , their vomit stinks…

Makes me very uneasy with news of all the problems.

I’ve tried everything under the sun to switch them to but these guys are so picky. I’ve gone back to feeding them medley part time and forcing them to eat the Purina the rest of the time.

I’ve tried multi batches of the Purina from chewys and petsmart and multiple flavors. It all seems to have that new smell of chef boyardee ravioli.

they love the fancy feast but we had so many gastric issues that seemed to disappear when switching to Purina . I also just can’t get over the rotted food situation. I’ve already one questionable can. Not rotted meat but a different consistency of meat.

What do you do??,

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed my cats chicken and rice pro plan. In October I sent back 2 cases to chewys becuase it smelt like different.
The last several cases I’ve gotten have that similar smell. The difference is now my cats do not want to eat it. They will eventually go to their plates and eat but they refuse at first go.
My cats are very picky. This is the food they love. I switched from FF medley about 2 years ago when I noticed the food was rotted.

I think it’s a sign of they do not want to eat. Their breath stinks , their vomit stinks…

I’ve tried everything under the sun to switch them to but these guys are so picky. I’ve gone back to feeding them medley part time and forcing them to eat the Purina the rest of the time.

I’ve tried multi batches of the Purina from chewys and petsmart and multiple flavors. It all seems to have that new smell of chef boyardee ravioli.

they love the fancy feast but we had so many gastric issues that seemed to disappear when switching to Purina . I also just can’t get over the rotted food situation. I’ve already one questionable can. Not rotted meat but a different consistency of meat.

What do you do??,
There is no news of problems, just news about rumors. There are a bunch of people on a Facebook group scaring people by linking health issues to foods without actually knowing the cause (of the health issues).

I don't actually know if I can remember the smell of chef's boyardi but I've been getting cases of multiple types of Purina from Amazon, Chewy, PetsSmart, Ren's and Pet Valu with no issues here in Ontario. I didn't notice a change in sight or smell.

Could the food be freezing and defrosting during shipping or while waiting on your step? (Unsure where you are) That could effect it's quality if you are only getting it through delivery.

If you do believe it is a quality issue on Purina's end, or Fancy Feast's you should give them a call and provide the lot number and expiry date.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheff boyarde smells better than cat food.

The odd smell i see from cat food like purina is more like chicken layer feed (the pellets they feed to egg laying chickens). I've also had it smell like pedigree dog food but maybe because they are pretty close to the same core ingredients. (meat, grains etc.) Spam is another way of describing the smell.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What do you do??,
Is there a pet store where you live? If not can you find what you feed them in Purina in a store? If you do try going there to get a small bag of their food and see if they will eat it then. If they do then there is definitely something going on with Chewy’s storage or something is happening during shipping. I notice a lot of people who order online have said the same. I seen one review where a person said they went to the store bought the exact food they ordered and their cats ate it happily. So I do think there is something happening in storage or shipping which is beyond Purina’s control.

Like A Alldara said if you think Purina should look at it call or email them with the lot number on the bag and expiration date. They are very good at responding quickly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Dog Food Advisor, a site that I am not going to link here for obvious reasons, is all over the Purina rumors. I received an email this morning in which they question the rumors and source of the rumors in depth. Having said that, everyone has to make a decision about what to feed their cat based upon their own observations and comfort levels. The Dog Food Advisor is the parent site of The Cat Food Advisor which I have always found to be much less in depth.

As to quality of shipments which has been mentioned here, I have received in the past from Chewy very damaged and tainted cat food, especially those in the foil top pouches. Chewy, of course, falls all over themselves to replace it free of charge. In a couple of cases I have suspected FedEx's handling of the shipment more than Chewy. I should add that this has not happened now in a long time.

For anyone who feels the need to make a report, in the US these can be made to the FDA
How to Report a Pet Food Complaint

In Canada
Report a health and safety concern - Canada.ca

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Its the shippers most likely, they just toss the boxes onto the trucks/planes because they are on a tight deadline. Things get crushed or manhandled. Now Amazon uses their own delivery system and I think I only had one instance of a damaged package and it was juat the box, the stuff inside was fine.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To yall point about shipping. Chewys used to ship their soft food with cardboard case toppers on most cases and heaps of kraft wrap in the box. As of recently they now use make shift boxes which allow for zero space in the box for any packing materials.

in the past if I ordered more than 4 cases at a time, I would split my orders. Now that I see the new shipping boxes , rhink I’ll stick to two per order. If you email them after you order, they will remove the shipping charge if you are splitting orders.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no news of problems, just news about rumors. There are a bunch of people on a Facebook group scaring people by linking health issues to foods without actually knowing the cause (of the health issues).

I don't actually know if I can remember the smell of chef's boyardi but I've been getting cases of multiple types of Purina from Amazon, Chewy, PetsSmart, Ren's and Pet Valu with no issues here in Ontario. I didn't notice a change in sight or smell.

Could the food be freezing and defrosting during shipping or while waiting on your step? (Unsure where you are) That could effect it's quality if you are only getting it through delivery.

If you do believe it is a quality issue on Purina's end, or Fancy Feast's you should give them a call and provide the lot number and expiry date.
I will try calling them.
back when I had issues with fancy feast I offered to send them cans of the moldy food. They said no, they would send me vouchers for the four cases I had left. They ended up sending me coupons for four cans lol.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cheff boyarde smells better than cat food.

The odd smell i see from cat food like purina is more like chicken layer feed (the pellets they feed to egg laying chickens). I've also had it smell like pedigree dog food but maybe because they are pretty close to the same core ingredients. (meat, grains etc.) Spam is another way of describing the smell.
Haha you are right it does smell better. I guess I should have said it’s more like a putrid Cheff boyarde!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I actualy like chef boyarde especialy the spageti and ravioli ones but maybe thats why I in no way associate it with cat food.

Prime is doing the same thing with their packaging too. Don't be surprised if they eventualy just ship it in the original box either, Prime has started doing this with some items. Kabuto's fountain for example was shipped with just a lable slapped on the original box. Can't say I liked them shipping a breakable (ceramic fountain) item this way. Have to double check ship in amazon packaging is ticked at checkout.

I wish myvetstore would stop using so much packing paper. Especialy on a single giant bag of dry kibbles. Its not like its breakable or anything. And the packing is annoying to clean up.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones Can't tell Magnus that! He thinks the packing is the part we order special for him lol.
The amount of boxes I have around my apartment is getting out of hand, that and paper grocery bags. They play with those more than any of their toys by a long shot. They also like crushing the paper bags and using them as make shift beds! weirdos haha

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The amount of boxes I have around my apartment is getting out of hand, that and paper grocery bags. They play with those more than any of their toys by a long shot. They also like crushing the paper bags and using them as make shift beds! weirdos haha
Lol! I feel that.they quite love the boxes and paper to play in.

I use the cardboard boxes to take my recycling out at least since my real boxes kept getting stolen. Some second use for me at least!

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As to quality of shipments which has been mentioned here, I have received in the past from Chewy very damaged and tainted cat food, especially those in the foil top pouches. Chewy, of course, falls all over themselves to replace it free of charge. In a couple of cases I have suspected FedEx's handling of the shipment more than Chewy. I should add that this has not happened now in a long time.
I feel like foil breaks too easily and isn't safe as food packaging. I've received ones from Chewy covered in maggots and stunk so badly I don't even know how they willfully ignored the smell to pack that into my order. I stopped ordering any foil top packs since.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like foil breaks too easily and isn't safe as food packaging. I've received ones from Chewy covered in maggots and stunk so badly I don't even know how they willfully ignored the smell to pack that into my order. I stopped ordering any foil top packs since.
Ugh gross yeah i had a pouch of facial cream type stuff get punctured in an amazon box but it just had personal care stuff in it and didn't smell like anything. A cat food pouch would be horrable especialy if there was other items in the box like personal hygine stuff.

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats digest things differently sometimes some things do agree with them. Before his UTI for Scooter it was Friskies shredded food or the farm favorites that did not agree with him. The Purina Pro Plan urinary dry didn’t agree with him either. 9 lives and Meow Mix didn’t agree with him either which those were when he was a kitten before I switched to Friskies. Casper only the Friskies farm favorites didn’t agree with him. But I would never blame the brand I would just be like ok that doesn’t agree with him let’s try different.
I’m not blaming the brand at all in general. I know that they have made several different changes to their formulas. One cat does fine on it the other pukes immediately (within 1 hour) of eating it. So I tested it again, same exact result. I agree with you it’s something they’ve added that doesn’t agree with him so I won’t be feeding him pro plan. I don’t think puking it everytime you eat is good - so yep, let’s try different.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m not blaming the brand at all in general. I know that they have made several different changes to their formulas. One cat does fine on it the other pukes immediately (within 1 hour) of eating it. So I tested it again, same exact result. I agree with you it’s something they’ve added that doesn’t agree with him so I won’t be feeding him pro plan. I don’t think puking it everytime you eat is good - so yep, let’s try different.
Always a possiblity when there's a change for sure. Let us know what ends up working out for your kitty.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I know you weren’t blaming the brand that was more towards the people who started the Purina scare which now is across multiple brands most if not all is commercial pet food. It’s mostly targeted to dogs than cats. But anyway I don’t know if Purina changed the formula for Pro Plan dry food I never fed pro plan before not until the UTI. Before then it was Friskies. But soon as he ate the Pro Plan dry food he constantly threw up after eating definitely not good. I even gave some to the stray cats I feed outside and two of them threw up. It’s why the strays went back to Friskies and Casper & Scooter get Purina One for dry.

I will say even though I love Purina that it’s working well for my boys. I wish IAMS had a urinary wet food. They have a dry urinary food and in my Walmart it is cheaper than Purina One. But they don’t have a wet food option sucks!

I hope your kitty is doing well.