Prince

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to see him in 1984 - developed a crush on him after seeing Purple Rain - watched the halftime show last night and rocked out (but thought his voice just didn't cut it anymore unless he was singing pure falsetto.)

The Purple Rain album is one of my all time faves, even if it is (GASP!) over 20 years old!

I stopped following his career, though, after he changed his name to the symbol.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Prince but his preformance was lack luster last night

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's funny Hilda, we were talking about the Aunt Jemima scarf and comparing him to Little Richard too.

I thought he did a good job, although I would have changed a couple of the songs. (not Purple Rain!)

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing like a live puurrformance for me though! As much as I love the puurrrfection of a cd...when you get to hear/see something you love puurrrformed live...its magical! I've always loved Purple Rain...and last night's puurrformance just gave me chills...still getting them writing about it.

Hilda >^..^<

markvg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always liked Prince's music. His influences in music are so varied, including what you have all said with Little Richard.

I thought the halftime show was very good. The song selections were very good and I liked the marching band stuff. Starting off with "Lets Go Crazy" was cool. "Purple Rain" was great with the rain coming down.

When I was watching it, I didn't think Prince was playing the guitar. Did anyone else think that? Nobody was talking about it and I mentioned it to my mom tonight and she thought the same thing. They didn't show the band too much and I was looking to see if there was guitar player playing instead of Prince. I think some of it was "canned"., well not maybe canned, but someone else "in the wings" playing guitar.

Not to put Prince down at all... I thought it was a good show, and he is a very good guitar player, but I don't think he was playing last night.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Ok- seriously, how many people listen to his music?

I am always getting picked on for listening to his songs (the older ones), but I can't help it- they are great songs to rock out to in the car when your by yourself!

So be honest people- who listens to him? I cannot be the only person on TCS that likes him
I do listen to his old music...
I didnt think last nights performance was that great tho.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well when I/you consider the conditions that he was playing in...I mean that downpour y'all...I think he did just fine
...probably better than fine.
I'd love to see some of today's popular artists do so well in similar situations.

Hilda >^..^<

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like some of his music but i wasn't impressed with the
half time show at all

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if some people thought he wasn't playing because he took his picking hand off the guitar. I guess it might 'look' like he wasn't playing...but he was fingering the song at that time...showing off that he doesn't need to pick it to play it! Genius!

I wonder also if another reason might be that some of the selections he played weren't his own songs. I heard Jimi Hendrix ''All Along The Watchtower'' in the mix and I might have heard ''The Wind Cries Mary'' as well in Prince's Hendrix tribute that night.

Even though I haven't followed Prince in a long time...I was reeeeally impressed. I'd heard rumours that on some of his older albums as well as on some of his famous videos, its Prince who is playing all of the instruments in all the songs...the band was just more for show than anything. Don't know if that's true or not but I've also read that he can play pretty much any and every instrument.

The guy is genius...musical genius.

Hilda >^..^<

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
psst dont tell anyone,
how i never or will never buy a prince CD. Years ago i talked into going to see a show.
i was like please, i dont want like prince i dont want to see him. But, i got dragged along(kicking and screaming i may add, the things men do for GF)

Any almost 4 hours later(yes the show was that long) i left going oh my god, that guy can play music. How i still dont like his CDs i would jump at a chance to see him live again.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been a fan of Prince. *ducks flying objects*

That said, he's had some good songs throughout his career. He's gifted musician (excellent guitar player) and a good showman as well. I saw some of the clips of his halftime performance at the Super Bowl. I thought he did a good rendition of the Jimi Hendrix classic All Along The Watchtower, it had quite the "bluesy" feel to it.