Prego Cat Acting Weird. Help

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got prego sometime end of may and she started acting weird. She's breathing heavy and drooling and gagging and keeping her mouth open but it doesn't seem like there are any signs of hebeing in labour. I can't really afford an emergency sunday visit to a vet. What should I do??

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she got pregnant end of May she's due. Is she panting? Do you have a birthing box set up? Can you see any visible contractions or pushing? What you described sounds concerning with drooling and gagging. Panting is normal for labor.

@stefanz & Sarthur2 Sarthur2 are pros. Hopefully they will be along soon to offer better advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't tell if she's having contractions. I can feel the babies moving tho. Yes she has a spot set up in the corner by my bed but she prefers to lay on the bed or on the couch. And there's no visible liquid or anything like that coming out her vag. The drool is clear but thick more like a liquid mucus.

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Started Fri night about 11

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I'd definitely suggest a vet appointment. I know you said you can't afford emergency Sunday clinic so in that case I'd keep a constant eye on her and if her behavior gets worse call around to vets and see if anyone can help with payment plan or suggest a low cost option.
Is she eating at all? Definitely keep her hydrated with fresh water.

Again, I'm no pro in this regard but ive never witnessed this behavior in all the pregnancies and deliveries I've seen. Sounds like she's in distress.

@abyeb , any idea or advice?

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have already talked to one and they said to bring her in tomorrow they open at 8 and if it was an emergency she could b seen today bit it's an extra $100 on top of whatever else has to be done. I have e a family member offering to pay for her to go tomorrow. U wouldn't happen to know what I'd may be looking at cost wise for something like this. It's never happened before and I've only ever had to pay for shots

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you are located but I'd say if they do a c-section (which is likely if she is in deed in labor and distress) the price can range between $400 and $1600.

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let's hope it's the lower ones... The closest vet is in Bardstown Ky.

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so. I'll post what happens so others will know if it happens to them.

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And thank u for all the talking and help.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but you're most welcome! Yes, please do keep us posted as to her condition throughout the evening and after the vets. I'll be sending :vibes:your way! Has she eaten or drank anything recently?

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few licks of some chicken broth and a bite or two of soft food. She doesn't seem to want water tho but she will move back and forth from bed to couch and now kitchen chair so she may have without me noticing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
V VuDouSiren

She sounds like she is in late stage labor to me. See if she will let you rub her belly. Some cats find this soothing.

Do you see rippling or waves in her belly or sides? Those would be contractions.

Has she tried to push yet at all?

Please post a picture of her for us.

Is this her first litter?

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is her second litter and I can see movement and yes she lets me rub her and love up on her. She will roll a little when I rub her sides to let me rub her better. And no she didn't do this with her first litter.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sarther! I wasn't sure what advice to give here but your giving me a sense of relief! So you think this is normal pre-delivery behavior?

VuDouSiren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tried to add video and it says error uploading doesn't have proper extensions