Pregnant Stray Rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night she got a little excited and actually played for the first time since we've had her. She got the zoomies and ran all around the room, and was scratching at her post 🥹 This is the first time she's been playful her. She still seems to be eating the same, but boy is she talking. We are having full fledged conversations and she's debating her side! Other than that, everything else still looks normal.

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, I'm so confused.

Contacted a vet who told me she should have given birth 3-4 weeks ago, but the more counting of days I do, we are at 77 days total. I'm taking into account that the original vet gave me a rough estimate that may not be completely accurate and we could be right on schedule. There was no ultrasound done, he just felt her belly and looked at her nipples. I'm assuming the discharge was her mucus plug, and the vet I talked to tonight said she should have started labor within an hour after the mucus plug came out. But when I Google it says 24-48 hrs after the mucus plug comes out is about when she should start having the first contractions, and within an hour of the first contraction there should be a kitten. I'm so worried. The second vet spoke to me like a negligent irresponsible cat owner, and that's the absolute last thing I want to be. I'm so worried that I'm not giving her the care she needs. She's being more affectionate, and she's grooming more, so part of me says to keep waiting, but I absolutely do not want to put her in harms way if it can be avoided. Any advise is really needed right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relax! She sounds fine to me. Both vets sound ignorant and unprofessional. The mucus plug is lost a day or even several days ahead of labor. It’s highly unlikely your cat is 77 days. Hang in there!

• Purraise
Reactions: kye

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really needed to hear that because I am freaking out like I'm the one giving birth! I just really want to give her a healthy place to give birth, and nurse her kittens. She's really grown on me, I just want to keep her safe 🥺

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens. No contractions, no abnormal noises. Seen some milk and color change starting about two days ago, and I opened up my closest for a bigger more secluded space for her. This girl is keeping me on my toes

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, it's been a week since her mucus plug popped, and we still have nothing. All the color in her nipples is gone, no kittens, not even a single visible contraction. She's still playing and bouncing around like normal, but tomorrow I will be taking her in to be seen. I read that after a week of the mucus plug it opens the risk for bacteria to enter the cervix, and just nothing is happening. I don't know what else I can do for her. Praying they say she doesn't need a c-section because there is no way I can afford it 😢

I got her collar in today too, all the fleas and worms are taken care of. If I have to surrender her, I just hope she finds someone that will love her as big as I do 😕

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope nothing is wrong and that she has experienced a phantom, or false, pregnancy. If she has kittens inside (dead or alive), it is best to give her a shot of oxytocin to get contractions going and to see if she can naturally expel them. Again, let’s hope it is not too serious or expensive.

Do keep us posted!

• Purraise
Reactions: kye

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got back from the vet. This girly has been playing me for extra food haha no kittens at all! I got to keep my new baby, and she is safe and healthy. I've got her an appointment to get all her vaccines and then after that she'll be getting fixed! Sad I won't have any kittens, but way more happy that she is okay! Thanks for everyone's help, the cat distribution system had another successful story today 🩵