Pregnant Stray Rescue

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.

I recently rescued a very friendly stray cat. I have no idea how old she is, or if she has had any litters previously. When I first came into contact with her was about 5 weeks before rescuing her, and she was very petite. I didn't notice her plumping up until I got her home after the 5th week, and thought that she might be pregnant. I took her to the vet the day after I brought her in, and the vet said that she was about 3 weeks pregnant (this was October 10th). Since then, she's not really changed too much. No nesting, not more affectionate, nor less affectionate (except to my boyfriend, she is hit or miss with hin), no appetite gain/loss, no noticeable weight gain/loss (however when I rescued her she was bigger than when I first came into contact), normal cleaning, her nipples have no color but they are bigger than normal, about the size of a grain of rice, and neither my parnter or I have felt ANY movement. She just hasn't changed much since the day we took her to the vet... 6 weeks ago. I'm scared that the transition and stress may have harmed the babies, but there's been no bloody discharge or stool. She also hasn't shown any sad, or in pain behavior. She's in a room separated, with only so many spots, and there's been no sign of anything. This is my first pregnant cat, and I'm lost! I've been doing as much research as possible but can't quite find an answer. Also willing to admit I just don't know what I'm looking for haha, these are the best pictures she would let me get. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its difficult to see if a cat is preg in 3week... Its really just the changing of nipple colors.
So, she may not be preg.
She may have a false pregnancy,
She may aborted them, as you yourself suspect; and ate up the results - this happens.
She may have a small litter...

Time will tell. Prepare, and wait... :)

Did you hope for kittens? Im asking because it seems nobody discussed a possible spay when she seemed to be 3 week in...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I first brought her in, I didn't realize she was pregnant, but it was a happy surprise. I'm happy to give her a safe home and space to have her babies, and once they are here and she is back to normal health we will be getting her fixed. However being that she was already pregnant (per the vet) we chose to let her pregnancy run its course and to take care of the kittens until we could find them homes. She has not had ANY heat cycles since we brought her in. We will be getting ALL of the kittens their shots, and are hoping to get the majority of them fixed through a service in my town that does it for a reduced rate, that way we don't have to worry about people not doing it. My boyfriend and I are losing our minds with if she is pregnant or not. I keep leaning towards she is because the vet said she was, he says she isn't because she's not necessarily acting like it. We joke and say she's pretending to be pregnant to get extra food, haha. But in all seriousness, I just want to give her the best care possible, and I'm not sure when to get concerned. I don't want her to have miscarried and they are stuck inside and make her sick.

Also I noticed last night/this morning after posting that she is tucking herself away (not in the box I made for her) behind some clothes baskets. Maybe that's considered nesting? She was also doing A LOT of cleaning this morning too, and dumped her litter box out, which might just be her chonky self tipped it lol. I just want to provide all the information possible so I know whether to wait, or maybe it's time to bring her back into the vet.

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I'm not expert, I just want to give her a better space than the dumpster she was in. She is clearly someone's old cat, loves people, let's me give her head smooches, responds to different commands, the whole nine yards. And I found her in the pouring rain, using a dumpster lid as shelter, and it stayed like that for 5 weeks. On the fifth week she finally let me grab her. I just want her to be happy and healthy!

Also she has fleas! I'm doing my best to get rid of them, constantly brushing her with a flea brush, and using a flea and tick spray I got from the store. Does anyone know how this might affect the kittens and what I should do to help?
And in case of dead kittens on arrival, does anyone have any tips for me? I've been watching countless videos on what to do in case of this, but I'm still not prepared for that in all honesty.
20231122_132318.jpg
20231122_132221.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the brand of the flea spray? Dont use it anymore till we knoow more

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the brand of the flea spray? Dont use it anymore till we knoow more
It is Natural Care Flea and Tick spray. I'm not putting it directly on her, the can says I can though. Just using the flea bush on her and killing what I can get out, then spraying the area she is in around the edges of the room, and around but not in the little box. The vet said they wouldn't give her any of her shots because she was pregnant, so I wasn't sure if an actual medicine on her skin would be good for her either. After babies are born I was planning on getting her a flea/tick color, I think the ones I've been recommended are called Seresto, I know what I'm looking for just not the name with those. This is the spray that I'm using now.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not put a flea collar on her until the kittens wean. The collar can be toxic to tiny kittens!

You can put a tube of Advantage II for Cats on the back of her neck now to help repel the fleas.

You are right not to put anything else on her right now.

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to know about the collar! I wouldn't have known that! I will look into the Advantage II as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is Natural Care Flea and Tick spray. I'm not putting it directly on her, the can says I can though. Just using the flea bush on her and killing what I can get out, then spraying the area she is in around the edges of the room, and around but not in the little box. The vet said they wouldn't give her any of her shots because she was pregnant, so I wasn't sure if an actual medicine on her skin would be good for her either. After babies are born I was planning on getting her a flea/tick color, I think the ones I've been recommended are called Seresto, I know what I'm looking for just not the name with those. This is the spray that I'm using now.
Serestro flea collar MAY be an exception from the ban of flea collars... Its done by Bayer, a wellknown big farmaceutical firm, whom doesnt afford to get bad reputation.
Otherwise, its known many commercially avaialble flea collars are dangerous not only to fleas, but also for animals in water (in the dog takes a bath in a lake), and of course, for the dog or cat herself... It had happened cats collapsed and got very sick after having such a collar on them.

Still, even if Serestro is supposed to be safer than these, I would avoid this too if there are other solutions.

ps. The mentioned Advantage II is supposed to be safe. Even Revolution is better than these collars. Both are drop on on the neck.

• Purraise
Reactions: kye

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Serestro flea collar MAY be an exception from the ban of flea collars... Its done by Bayer, a wellknown big farmaceutical firm, whom doesnt afford to get bad reputation.
Otherwise, its known many commercially avaialble flea collars are dangerous not only to fleas, but also for animals in water (in the dog takes a bath in a lake), and of course, for the dog or cat herself... It had happened cats collapsed and got very sick after having such a collar on them.

Still, even if Serestro is supposed to be safer than these, I would avoid this too if there are other solutions.

ps. The mentioned Advantage II is supposed to be safe. Even Revolution is better than these collars. Both are drop on on the neck.
Good to know! I just ordered a good stock of the Advantage and will be using that when it comes in.

Also, side question. I just found online that salt is good for IN THE HOME treatment, not on the actual cat herself. Anyone know is this is true, or a safe try?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you referring to sprinkling salt on the carpeting and then vacuuming it up? Supposedly if fleas come into contact with salt, it dries up their bodies.

How does salt kill fleas?
Because of sodium's moisture-absorbing qualities, it acts as an abrasive that can easily damage and penetrate through fleas' exoskeleton. As a result, when salt is sprinkled onto a flea, it dries out the flea's body, leading to no chance of survival.
Either finely ground refined household salt or sea salt can be used to kill fleas in your home. Simply sprinkle the salt evenly over carpeted areas or furniture and leave it be for about 12-48 hours. Since flea eggs can fall in between carpet fibers, it's best to brush the salt in for better results. Also, make sure not to touch the salted areas so as not to track it all over the home. Ensure your pet does not have access to these areas as well because can be harmful to pets if ingested. After 12-48 hours, thoroughly vacuum the treated areas as well as possible.

This is from PetMeds website.

I did this years ago, but it was when I had adult dogs who were receiving flea treatments, so I don't really know if it worked. A little harder said than done because it really has to be densely applied, not just a few sprinkles around the room.

• Purraise

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you referring to sprinkling salt on the carpeting and then vacuuming it up? Supposedly if fleas come into contact with salt, it dries up their bodies.

How does salt kill fleas?
Because of sodium's moisture-absorbing qualities, it acts as an abrasive that can easily damage and penetrate through fleas' exoskeleton. As a result, when salt is sprinkled onto a flea, it dries out the flea's body, leading to no chance of survival.
Either finely ground refined household salt or sea salt can be used to kill fleas in your home. Simply sprinkle the salt evenly over carpeted areas or furniture and leave it be for about 12-48 hours. Since flea eggs can fall in between carpet fibers, it's best to brush the salt in for better results. Also, make sure not to touch the salted areas so as not to track it all over the home. Ensure your pet does not have access to these areas as well because can be harmful to pets if ingested. After 12-48 hours, thoroughly vacuum the treated areas as well as possible.

This is from PetMeds website.

I did this years ago, but it was when I had adult dogs who were receiving flea treatments, so I don't really know if it worked. A little harder said than done because it really has to be densely applied, not just a few sprinkles around the room.
I am so happy I found this website! All the information on Google is kind of overwhelming and I'm not seeing the good and bad to certain things. Thanks for all the information, it has been extremely helpful, and gave me an idea of where to start! I will keep everyone updated on Mama Scarlette, and her babies!

Still not too much change, although last night when I did my nightly check of her, noticed her nipples are starting to fill out a little. Still no color, but they are getting plump!

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

So last night something came up!
Scarlette is nesting more, and her nipples look a little bigger, but has tapeworms! I've ordered some dewormer, it should be here tomorrow. We've also been treating the home and her for fleas. But I'm curious if this is harmful for the babies? I'm sure little worms tearing up her insides cannot be good for them!! Going to schedule her a vet appointment today, but I wanted to give everyone an update.

Any information is always welcome!

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edit**

I think I bought before I did enough research, and I'm scared to use it now haha! I bought the Elanco tapeworm dewormer, and after doing more research I'm getting mixed answers. The vet can't see me for a month and a half, and I'm not waiting that long to treat as I have another cat. So here's where I'm confused-
Some places said that it's safe for a pregnant cat to use, some said it's not safe for her. Some said I could give it to my other cat without knowing for 100% sure if she has them, some said I couldn't. If you guys have an idea on if this is a good option, or if you have a better, safer choice, I'll cancel the order and that one.
Thanks in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That product is safe to give your pregnant cat. You should treat both your cats, and re-treat with another tablet each about 7-10 days later to cover the full life cycle of the tape worms.

You should also apply Advantage II for Cats to the back of each cat’s necks to repel fleas.

Wash all bedding in hot water. Vacuum floors.

• Purraise

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the Advantage II in on Saturday, and got that applied, and I've been doing salt in the house for my carpets, with regular vacuuming. And making sure to keep her litter box SUPER clean. I'll get a better schedule of doing a full deep clean of her litter box, where instead of just scooping/changing her litter I'll be disinfecting it at least twice a week with a safe all natural cleaner. Thanks for the fast reply! Will keep updating as we go!

kye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody, we've got some action!

Came to do my "good morning, how's your day going, how'd you sleep" with Miss Scarlette, and there was something on her bed.

This was on the bed right where she sits. Thinking it was the mucus plug?

Attachments