Pregnant Stray Not Eating Properly Anxious

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you offered them semi-beaten raw egg?

(& later, dry food soaked in a semi-beaten raw egg?)

Decades ago, as a kid, I took over as guardian of our family's queens with litters.

To help them wean their kittens, I spread newspaper on the floor, then small saucers, into which I poured a slightly-warmed mixture of milk & semi-beaten raw egg.  They LOVED it!  At first they walked though it while learning to lap it up, but, their mamas got to lick it off of them!

To get them started, I set them 4 around each saucer (sometimes we had 12 kittens at a time), then gently dipped their chins in the mixture.

As soon as they got it on their tongues, they 'went for it'!

Raw Eggs have long had  an undeserved   bad reputation for having avidin in their whites, which binds with biotin, making it indigestable. . . .

HOWEVER, it is now known that the yolks have so much biotin that whoever eats raw eggs will NOT become biotin deficient from eating WHOLE raw eggs!  In fact, raw WHOLE eggs are suggested as a very healthy option --for us as well as cats & dogs-- much better than cooked eggs:

"Important Update on Eating Raw Eggs"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/02/09/raw-eggs.aspx#!

"Sardines and Eggs: Natural, Affordable Omega-3 Treats for Your Pet"

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/07/28/pet-omega.aspx

The feral cat family I've started the long process of taming LOVE raw eggs!  I often mix one in with their regular food, set it in the fridge for about an hour to soften the dry food, then put in their bowl.  They love it!  The eat the mixture either that way, or immediately after mixing it up!  They don't care!  And they are VERY healthy!  (I give them a bit of Coconut oil, & food grade Diatomaceous earth with every meal, too.)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you offered them semi-beaten raw egg?
(& later, dry food soaked in a semi-beaten raw egg?)

Decades ago, as a kid, I took over as guardian of our family's queens with litters.
To help them wean their kittens, I spread newspaper on the floor, then small saucers, into which I poured a slightly-warmed mixture of milk & semi-beaten raw egg.  They LOVED it!  At first they walked though it while learning to lap it up, but, their mamas got to lick it off of them!

To get them started, I set them 4 around each saucer (sometimes we had 12 kittens at a time), then gently dipped their chins in the mixture.
As soon as they got it on their tongues, they 'went for it'!

Raw Eggs have long had  an undeserved  bad reputation for having avidin in their whites, which binds with biotin, making it indigestable. . . .
HOWEVER, it is now known that the yolks have so much biotin that whoever eats raw eggs will NOT become biotin deficient from eating WHOLE raw eggs!  In fact, raw WHOLE eggs are suggested as a very healthy option --for us as well as cats & dogs-- much better than cooked eggs:

"Important Update on Eating Raw Eggs"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/02/09/raw-eggs.aspx#!

"Sardines and Eggs: Natural, Affordable Omega-3 Treats for Your Pet"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/07/28/pet-omega.aspx

The feral cat family I've started the long process of taming LOVE raw eggs!  I often mix one in with their regular food, set it in the fridge for about an hour to soften the dry food, then put in their bowl.  They love it!  The eat the mixture either that way, or immediately after mixing it up!  They don't care!  And they are VERY healthy!  (I give them a bit of Coconut oil, & food grade Diatomaceous earth with every meal, too.)
@LTS3 can you weigh in here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so we might foster another kitten. A student of mine found a kitten around the age of ours stuck in a large storm puddle. She brought it to her place yesterday, cleaned it up, but can't get it accept the goats milk. I don't know if it can go potty by itself yet. I told her to get it checked out and then bring it by here to see if Maragarita will nurse it.

Anything I should be aware of? Anything specific we need to do?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten needs to either nurse or eat wet food or both asap, so she should bring the kitten to you right away. It does look about the same age, so will hopefully fit right in.

Last edited:

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he has arrived! Margarita gave him a tongue bath. Helped him potty. And the kittens let him nurse after they were finished. Success!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! I had just posted about bringing him to you. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 What do you think about an apple cider vinegar/water solution for this?
I've been applying the coconut oil but I'm worried about infection.
She seems so uncomfortable. [emoji]128550[/emoji]
Organic Virgin Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antivira, & antiprotazoal.

I put it in our --and our cat's-- cat food at every meal, and on trouble spots.  It's great instead of a bandage.

"Coconut Oil Bandage: Heal Injuries And Infections At Breakneck Speeds"

http://www.coconut-oil-central.com/coconut-oil-bandage.html

Clipping the kittens claws will continue to irritate that already sore ar ...

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=clipping+kitten+claws&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

(I don't know which site has the best cat-claw-clipping instructions, so ^this^ is a list of links to quite a few.)

So ... try to regularly re-apply the C.O. after she's nursed.  She'll be licking a lot of it off, herself, though ...

so, it would be wise to put a judicious amount mixed into her food, every meal (not too much, to prevent causing loose bowels).

C.O. is also highly recommended for hairball remedy & prevention, as more effective --and better received--  than those that conventional vets use.

"Animals and the Healing Power of Coconut Oil"

- (includes pet-owner's experiences)  

http://www.naturepacific.com/contents/en-us/d168.html

The mineral silicon is usually deficient in our soils, & thus our foods, so I also add *food grade* Diatomateous earth --which is quite high in amorphous / water-souble silica-- ro rhe diet.  Once again, use judicious amounts, as too much of it can also cause loose bowels.  The lack of silica leads to tissues loosing elasticity, such as in eczema.  My husband took this product for his eczema regularly, and gradually got over it (sprouting baby-fine hair on his bald spot, as well) ... the prescriptions he's tried had no lasting effect, but the silica did!  Every body tissue that needs to be elastic benefits from a healthy amount of silica in the diet (skin, tendons, ligaments, cardio & pulmonary systems, hair, esophagus, bowels, you name it)!

"Silicon [among other things], prevents several serious skin problems...."

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/health-benefits-of-silicon.html

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just noticed that little Sangrita has teeth...when she bit my finger haha...I checked the others but they all have buds still. I'll pick up some wet food on Monday and see how it goes. Some of the kittens have been licking and putting their paws in Margarita's yogurt so they might ready soon I guess.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, it does sound like they may be ready for mushy wet food soon if they are checking out mom's food! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the following information concerning the initial weaning . . .

"Cow's milk is not a good choice for kittens. . . .  What you want is either a commercial kitten formula . . . or a homemade milk formula recipe. In an emergency, you can mix 3 ounces condensed milk, 3 ounces water, 4 ounces plain yogurt (not low fat), and 3-4 egg yolks (no whites). I have also used with good success, raw unpasteurized goat's milk, in a pinch. . . .

"You can begin weaning your kitten at about 4 to 5 weeks of age,

but keep in mind that some little ones require a bit more time to get used to eating solid food. . . .

"Once your kitten is lapping formula from a flat dish, you can mix kitten formula with baby food on a spoon or dish. Use an organic, all-natural meat flavored baby food that does NOT contain onion in any form, or a commercially available raw food diet approved for kittens. Once kitty is doing well with her formula-baby food mix, you can graduate to . . ."

"The First Thing to Do if You Find an Orphaned Kitten"

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/10/13/orphaned-kitten-care.aspx

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very well! Only one of the kittens (Sangrita the black girl) wasn't interested but she'll get there. They are only 4 weeks old.
The rest ate ravenously!! So cute and a little messy. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Start offering wet food 4-6 times a day. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long is it okay for them to have soft poops after introducing wet food? It's not quiet full on diarrhea yet but very runny. As not all of them know to use the litter box it's quite messy with pees and poops ending up in the nest. [emoji]128514[/emoji] However, I'm mostly concerned about their health and that diarrhea. Anything I could do to better this?
They have been on wet food for 3 days now. Some have tried dry food too but mostly wet food and Momma's milk.

Last edited: