Pregnant Stray. Need Advice.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago a small tabby cat showed up in my yard. We went door to door trying to find the owner. One of my neighbors said that the night before someone was parked in front of our house. When they pulled away she saw the cat. So we are assuming she was dumped here. I have been feeding her. I thought she was just getting fat. However last night I was outside with her and noticed that her stomach was moving. I felt her stomach and she is very pregnant. I brought her inside and have her in a room away from the dogs. I don't know if she was pregnant before she arrived here or not. I don't know anything about this cat and have never had a pregnant animal before (my dogs are all fixed.) I am going to call the vet on Monday and try to get her in. In the mean time.... What should I be watching for. is there a way to tell how far along she is? Also she is covered in fleas is there anything I can get her that will take care of them that is safe for a pregnant cat? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put a tube of Advantage II for cats on the back of her neck. It's safe and will help kill the fleas. Also flea comb her and drown the fleas in a bowl of water.

Can you post a picture of her?

If you are seeing kitten movement in her belly, she probably has 2-3 weeks left.

The vet can do an x-ray and tell you how many kittens and estimate a due date.

She should not receive any vaccines while pregnant.

Make sure she gets unlimited dry kitten chow and wet food.

Thank you for rescuing her! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20170701_141318.jpg
20170701_141348.jpg
20170701_141417.jpg
20170701_141518.jpg
I went to the local feed store and the guy sold me a cat and kitten food called Evo. It wasn't cheap so I am hoping it's a good quality food. I will pick up some advantage this afternoon. Hopefully the vet can get her in Monday and give me an estimated due date. Thank you for your help. I have always been more of a dog person and never had a cat so this is completely new territory for me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking in that cat in need. She is very pretty and looks at you with such trust. Poor thing, to be discarded...Evo is a good quality food. You can also give her KMR as a treat but I'd dilute it as it can give diarrhea (any sudden change in food can cause that). As far as flea-combing goes, salt water helps demobilize them and helps them die quicker in the bowl of water. Again, thank you being the hero! Please keep up updated.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't always trusted me. It took a couple weeks for her to even let me get near her. She still jumps if anyone moves to quick around her. My best guess is that she probably hasn't known love. When she showed up I could see all her rib bones. It broke my heart. My grandmother always told me that you don't choose your animals, they choose you. I never really believed that until now. However, the more time I spend with her the more I love her. I think I am going to keep her. She wasn't a big fan of the flea comb but we got it done. Now I just have to find a better name for her than Stray. LOL. I will keep this post updated and post pictures of the babies once they arrive. From what I read on those links I don't think it will be much longer. She already has milk coming out. I'm hoping she will hold off until after we see the vet so we will know how many kittens there are. However, I called his office this afternoon to let them know I had her in case any problems arise over the weekend.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has milk, it will be soon.

It's good that you are getting rid of the fleas. They can cause anemia very quickly in tiny babies.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate fleas. We fought them bad last year with the dogs. This year we bombed the house, sprayed the yard, and put the dogs on trifexis. So far we haven't had a problem. My hope is with the advantage and combing all the live ones off of her that they won't get them. I plan on combing her again tomorrow to make sure they are gone. I made her a box with old towels in it but she isn't interested in it at all. She has been hiding under my desk for a couple hours now. It isn't ideal but I figure if she is comfortable there I should just leave her be.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the X-ray to count the kittens. Its the most exact way to know how many they are. BUT observe its not really necessary! They tend to come anyway! Unless you by some especial reason must know exactly.
Also, x-ray often costs a minor fortune - often more than the self vet visit and examination.
With humans, they do x-ray to see if the pelvis is wide enough for a normal and safe delivery, or if its best to make a cesarean. But its seldom the reason on cats.

Most cats take their nest first in last moments, or even after the delivery. In nature, they dont want to get their choosen nest smelly or flea infested too early.

But her beginning to hide hints its nearing. She perhaps has even dropped? ie suddenly seems less big than she was? Its no sure rule, but the most common.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her "choices" including newspapers in various spots. Cats seem to like under and behind things or inside closets. How exciting this is!

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The closet is open for her. She has the box and I put old towels under the desk. My neighbor told me they like areas that are covered so I disinfected the dog kennel and draped a sheet over it. She has choices but still likes hiding under the desk. She is in the one room that I haven't replaced the flooring in yet. So no matter where she chooses it won't ruin anything. She is drinking a ton of water. Is that normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, pregnant and nursing cats need 2-3 times as much food and water as they do when not pregnant.

Do you give her wet cat food? Cats get moisture from wet food also.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought her some and she ate it yesterday. This morning she wanted nothing to do with it. She has been biting me when i try to pet her. So I'm just letting her be alone and checking on her every hour or so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue offering the wet food, and figure out which flavors she likes best. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful thing that you are doing! I forgot to recommend that kitty laundry should be done with Unscented products. And you might consider switching her litterbox over to mostly clay litter although you have about 2 weeks after the kittens' arrival before that is a concern.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't ate at all since yesterday morning. We went to the vet today. He said she is in the first stage of labor. He didn't do xray because he didn't want to put her under anymore stress. She is apparently only about 9 months old. he also gave me some calcium stuff. He said it won't hurt her but will help make the contractions more productive.

Katie1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's back under my desk cleaning herself. The vet said that since this is most likely her first litter, the early stage could last up to 24 hours. So I guess it's just a waiting game now.