Pregnant Stray- Don't Know What To Do

oliviamargaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,
i was hoping i could get some advice.

I have a stray living in my backyard. I started feeding her 2 months ago and she soon was sitting outside my window waiting for me whenever i looked. My dad and i used a humane trap to capture her and bring her inside. i was keeping her in my bathroom because i wasn't sure if she was feral or a stray and i was a little nervous to get too close. We left the door open so she could come out whenever she wanted and she did explore my apartment at night and early morning. She didn't eat at all and seemed very depressed. She showed no signs of aggression at all, she just seemed scared. She just laid next to my toilet and did not move when we came in and out of the bathroom. my fathers friend, who has some knowledge about these things, sat next to her and started petting her.. she didn't even flinch and he even said she was purring. He said she is a stray because a feral would never let him get that close especially because she has never met him before. He told me to start spending time with her in the bathroom and to pet her. she let me pet her and i got the impression she was enjoying it because she turned away from me to let me reach more parts of her chin/neck. my dad left the window in the bathroom cracked so she could get air, but she somehow managed to get out.
She was only in my house for 2 days. When i came home she was waiting outside my window.
I went outside and put food and water about a foot in front of me and she came over to eat.
At first she would take about 10-15 minutes to come over but now she comes over almost as soon as i sit down.
My dad built some stairs to the window and a ledge that fits inside the window so i could start feeding her up there.
She has come up a few times to eat but she doesn't seem to like it. She just sits underneath my ladder and stares at me as if she wants me to come down. Every day I go outside and sit with her while she eats. I know she knows I won't hurt her, she turns her back to me all the time and blinks slowly at me. But if i get too close she runs away. She has come up to me a few times and smelt my hand but she just walked away after.

The past couple of weeks I've noticed her getting fatter and she seems to have morning sickness. I've read up on it a lot and I'm positive she's pregnant, I'm just not too sure how far along she is.

Its starting to get cold and I really wish she would just come inside.

My question is should i try to trap her again or should i wait until she comes in herself?
I don't want to lose her trust and I don't want her to be stressed.. I'm also afraid she won't eat if i bring her inside again.

I would like to adopt her and I've already been looking for homes for her kittens.
What should I do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is more used to you now, so may eat if brought inside. It is better to do it now and give her a while to get used to it then to wait, she may hide the kittens from you and they will be harder to tame. When the kittens are about 8 weeks old, make sure you have her spayed, she could have 3 litters a year and you quickly run out of homes for the kittens, it's like getting rid of zucchini, every one leaves when they see you coming! :). I would trap her and let her out where you want her to be, preferably a small room at first with hiding places and all she needs. They can panic if the door is shut behind them and try to crash through windows and hide in dangerous spots. With a trap you are more in control. It may take her a while to go into another trap, you might try a carrier and see if she will go in it for tuna or something stinky and simply shut the door. She isn't going to trust you for a while, but with plenty of quiet times sitting with her and offering treats frequently, she will come around. Leave food out for her at night, that is when a scared cat will most likely eat once she is captured. She will come around, it will be a while, but it will happen. You are already developing a bond and she will accept and love you in time. Keep us posted!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You and your dad sound very kind to be doing so much for her -thank you for caring about her. I think you should trap her again and keep her inside. I think she is a stray, and not a feral - but even if she is, she obviously is growing attached to you (and vice versa). Bring her in - it will be a win-win situation! You will find homes for the kittens. Just get her inside for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oliviamargaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for getting back to me! I appreciate it.

I'm going to try to trap her as soon as i can get my hands on a carrier, I'll let you know how it goes!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, keep us posted! You have a good heart for caring so much about her. Your dad, too.

oliviamargaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night I put a cat carrier with some fancy feast tuna out in the yard and she would not go in. I have it rigged with string so I can just pull it from the window and the door will close. After a while I went out and sat with her for a few hours and she inspected it and smelt it a few times and went half way in once and then that was it.9 o'clock rolled around and she just went under the boat that's in my yard (she sleeps under there)
She ate at 7 am that morning and just went to bed without eating
This morning I had work so I couldn't really try again.. so I sat out here with her while she ate breakfast
When I got home my dad told me he was feeding her in the window and she's never done that before, so we thought we'd try again
We put some food outside the cage,some right in the door, then towards the middle of the cage and finally the food was all the way in the back
She ate the food in the middle of the cage but she never fully went in
My dad was throwing dry food towards the front of the cage and she was loving it as if it was like a game lol but we basically kept her entertained in front of the cage for over an hour and she just wasn't going all the way in
Honestly I think she's too smart
So now I'm just sitting out here while she's eating cause this is the only way she'll eat for me but for my dad she was coming up to the window, granted my dad isn't gonna climb out my window down the ladder lol

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
God Bless you and your dad for being so attentive to her! Clearly she loves you back! It does sound like she trusts you both. You will get her in. She does sound very smart - that is too funny about the food-toss game! At least, so she thought it was a game, lol! They are just too frikkin' smart!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: Welcome to TCS!
The cage is a good idea. It sometimes helps to take a few days of letting her get used to the idea of eating inside of it before actually trapping her. Sometimes I prop my HavAHart traps open and feed the ferals in them so they tend to get trapped more easily. Thank you for keeping us updated :thumbsup:

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it sounds horrible and may cause you some heartache, but you may want to consider having her spayed before she has those kittens, if possible. She may be carrying up to 8 kittens, and unless you can guarantee that they will all have homes and are 100% sure that they will all be spayed or neutered, it may be the best option in the long run.

oliviamargaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She won't go in the carrier and I don't know what to do..

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to purchase feral trap online? Or maybe rent one out from your local humane society? They will usually rent out for around $ 25.00 or maybe free?

Or maybe switching food you are currently using in your carrier to sardines or something extra stinky? Don't give up! Maybe she had eaten in the wild and just wasn't hungry. Don't despair! She will come around!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, if you can get to a pet store, maybe sprinkle some dehydrated chicken or fish flakes onto the food? Bonito flakes are the best, if you can find them.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure seems like it might be easier to lure her back into the bathroom with food, if your dad has been able to get her to eat at the window there. Maybe he could show her the food, then set it on the bathroom counter or floor and leave the room. If you or he then watches from outside and you see her go in, you could quietly go up the stairs and shut the window from the outside?

oliviamargaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry i haven't had a chance to update you guys
She wouldn't go into the carrier at all so my dad built a trap like this but with plastic chicken wire

we caught her within two minutes, she only freaked out for a minute and one of the corners wasn't reinforced enough and somehow she was able to get her head out, i was able to push it back in and block the hole. A few minutes went by while my dad looked for something to slide underneath the trap since it has no floor.. she was just laying down and i fit my finger in there to pet her and she was fine. But as soon as he got out the window to help me she made one last attempt to get out and she literally ripped through the plastic i have not a clue how but she got away and in the end the trap was full of holes
the first two days after that she didn't really come around so i just put food and water under the boat she sleeps under
she's starting to warm up again but i can tell she's afraid of me and its just not the same now
I feel like at this point she just doesn't want to come in I mean she'll come eat up at the window but thats it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get a big plastic tub with a lid, cut a hole for a door, line it with blankets, and put it in a safe place outside for her to have her kittens. Hopefully she will use it.

Keep feeding her and maybe after she has the kittens you can get mom and kittens inside.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Sorry about the trapping fiasco. At least you gave it your best shot. I agree with SArthur2 - make the best of the situation. I would put her on a high quality kitten food and add canned food, so she doesnt develop nutritional deficiencies. I would keep trying to trap her - see if you can get her to start eating the canned food inside the trap (use a pipe or stout stick to hold the trapdoor open) for awhile before trying to trap. It might help to cover the trap with a towel or some brush; also, put newspaper on the floor and put the food on that. At first, put the food near the trapdoor entrance as well as some nearby, gradually working your way to the back. On trapping day, cover the floor (and trip plate) with a single layer of newspaper. Thank you for the update :hellocomputer:

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There,

I have trapped kitties numerous ways. The best and most reliable method I have learned is to use a live-trap, the one that I recommend was designed by the LA Ca based Trap-Neuter-Release (aka 'TNR') charity organization 'FixNation' and is manufactured by Tomahawk:

Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Traps :: 608NC - 36" Cat Trap Designed by FixNation.org Cat Organization

www_dot_livetrap_dot_com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30179

Replace the "_dot_" with ".", I don't like forum software auto-changing URLs, as often makes mistakes and also obfuscates useful information that may become obscured should the destination webmaster change the website a tiny bit. The purpose of giving a specific website address is to enable a searcher of information the ability to make useful determination of their own.

Ad rem, I have four of these traps which I use to TNR feral communities when I discover their locations. It takes a bit of time but its something that needs be done. Kitties are wonderful little guys, and there are many kitties out there and they need us to help them to have better lives. GOD looks kindly on those who care for little ones.

If you are in the Los Angeles area, FixNation requires an appointment to use their free services. There are other non-services that are available on a first-come/first-serve basis, but which only charge around $25/kitty to neuter them. FixNation is:

FixNation: Free spay/neuter for homeless stray and feral cats in Los Angeles

fixnation_dot_org <== replace "_dot_" with ".", copy and paste into URL field of web-browser.

The trap that your Dad nicely made is not too bad, however, it needs a couple of small blocks to be nailed underneath the bottom board-frame to create a small one inch or so 'tail-clearance' gap, so that when the trap drops, it won't catch a kitty's tail underneath, possibly maiming the kitty's spine.

Do yourself and the pregnant kitty a favor, buy a Tomahawk trap (the model with the sliding back door is the best), its only $60, and if you don't plan to keep it, consider donating it to a TNR charity to help them. Don't take your kitty to a vet, they charge around $350 ~ $500 to neuter, whereas kitty TNR charity organizations are either free or charge extremely low prices for **EXACTLY** the same service, and often do a better job too, because their vet-surgeons have lots of practice, doing the surgery all the time. I recommend that you have the unborn kittens humanely euthenized at the same time.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

alpha_kitty

Last edited: