Pregnant Stray And New Cat Mum Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully someone will see this, it has been 6 days since Missy gave birth. She had a bit of discharge (looked like blood) the day after, but nothing until this evening - I noticed a very small pool of blood about 2cm in diameter after she got up from lying down, and a few spots/drops of blood on the nest bedding. Is this something to be concerned about, or is a bit of discharge in the first week normal? She isn't behaving any differently - doesn't seem to be in distress or in any pain.

(btw the kittens are all going strong - the 2 smallest have doubled their birth weights already, the others should do so hopefully by tmw morning :))

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be inclined to just keep an eye on it as long as she is eating well and using the litter box normally. If the amount increases or you notice an odor, get her to the vet ASAP.

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would be inclined to just keep an eye on it as long as she is eating well and using the litter box normally. If the amount increases or you notice an odor, get her to the vet ASAP.
Thank you! I didn't see anything new on the floor or in the bedding this morning, and she's still eating like a little piggy. We also checked her pee (she hasn't pooped yet) and no blood. Hopefully it was just a bit of leftover stuff! I'm taking Mister to the vet on Tuesday to get his booster shot so was hoping not to have to make a second trip (plus it's sunday today and the 24/7 vet here is super expensive).

Dieseljuice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a very pregnant calico show up and she was very friendly after I started feeding her twice a day, I was able to get her in the house and will be making her a large birthing chamber. I have her isolated until I get her tested for fiv and luk. Your info and responses were very helpful as this is the first cat I've taken in pre-birth. I started looking for info on picking her up safely and ran across your posting. The dad may have recently showed up and I am working on getting him inside and fixed.

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the endless questions here I’m a worrywart/overthinker, clearly lol. Can someone reassure me that these are just full cat boobies and not mastitis?

Also, to me she still looks a bit pregnant - boyfriend thinks it’s just her backup milk supply haha.

It’s been 9 days now since she gave birth. Is it normal to still look so round? She’s still behaving normally I think and certainly dotes on her babies, and for the most part they are gaining well (the smallest gain today was 9gms usually it is 14+ so maybe I am just being overly paranoid!)

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to keep coming back at random times with annoying questions!

So our male cat, Mister (who has been fixed and has had all his shots etc done) started sneezing intermittently a few days ago. He's not otherwise had any other obvious symptoms of anything obviously bad, no discharge from his eyes or nose, but I could hear him breathing last night and I thought it sounded a little bit snuffly (but I'm not exactly sure). He moved away from me when I became a weirdo with moving my head closer to him to listen lol

I rang a vet clinic to ask if this was a concern to Missy and the kittens (who will be 3 weeks old in 2 days). The vet said he could have cat flu and that it's highly contagious and he should be kept separate from Missy and the kittens. Vet didn't think it was important enough for me to bring him in to look at either. We have a small 2 bdrm place. Missy and the kittens have a room to themselves which is barricaded by a baby gate (and a door which can be shut in its entirety, we just didn't want her to feel confined), we have the other bedroom and the rest - kitchen/lounge/dining is one big open space. The nursery opens into this space.

At the moment Missy will come out from her nursery room to rest from nursing the kittens and lay in the loungeroom. Mister usually will sit on the couch with us, she prefers the floor. She has unlimited access to kibble in the nursery, but is fed wet food, with Mister, twice a day (generally before and after work) and one more wet food meal (without Mister) later in the evening and we have consistently fed them together at these times in the main living area (this was how we earned their trust initially - he was shyer and more hesitant to eat but only started taking food from us if she was happy to approach us).

It has taken close to 3 months to get them comfortable and happy with this routine (and the changes to their personalities now that they are confident and secure in their environment is marked) so I am reluctant to change it in case it stresses or upsets them, but obviously the health of the kittens is my main priority. I can feed them separately (she in the nursery, him in the usual open area) but is it enough separation to lock her in the nursery? is there a risk of him infecting her/the kittens just by being in the same house? Is it likely that he even has this cat flu or anything sinister?

Also... kitten pics =)

IMG_4857.jpg
IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again! Hoping someone can help me tell the gender of 3 of the kittens? They are roughly 6.5 weeks old now. The torti I can tell is female, and one of the tuxi's clearly has little plums, but I'm just not sure about these last 3! Are they all boys?