Pregnant Stray And New Cat Mum Advice

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Sorry this is going to be a massive essay, I just wanted to give a bit of background.

My partner and I recently decided to adopt a pair of stray cats. We had been feeding them for a couple of weeks before we took them to the vet. The female, Missy, hissed at the vet when she tried to pick her up, so all the vet was able to do was confirm she was pregnant and too far along to spay safely. The male, Mister, bolted when they tried to carry him. The vet advised that if we wanted to keep them, we should take the cats home and work with them for at least 4 weeks to get them used to human handling etc, but added that Missy would be due to give birth in about a week or so. That was 13 days ago.

I asked the vet if I should confine Missy to the house to make sure the litter is kept safe, and the vet said that not knowing how long they had been living on the streets, confining her now would be too stressful for her and that stress could affect the pregnancy. We propped open our doggy door and have been allowing the cats to come and go as they please. I set up our spare/storage room for her - it is dark and quiet and cardboard boxes and storage boxes lined with bedding and towels etc. We would sometimes find her sleeping in there in the mornings and when we get back from work.

However, in the past week there have been a couple of incidences (she came back with a raw wound, and we were woken one morning at 4am to fighting/yowling sounds) that have made me paranoid about her being left out. We decided over the weekend to try keeping her indoors through the birth until after spaying, which we intend to do at the appropriate time.

They took the kitty litter surprisingly quickly, and she has been fine with being 100% indoors the past 2 days (she mostly sleeps all day from what we've seen, and has been unusually super affectionate when awake) until this morning while we got ready to leave for work. She was meowing a lot, pacing and started climbing our flyscreen like spiderman!!! We had to leave the house carefully, because she seemed like she wanted to try to escape.

After all that long spiel, I guess my question is - did I do the right thing by confining her indoors? Should I have taken my vet's advice and let nature take its course/let her do her own mumma cat thing wherever she wanted? Have I stressed her out, and will this make her hold in her babies unnecessarily? Should I let her go?

Sorry again for the essay, and if you got this far, thanks for reading and for any advice - if we'd known her for longer I think I wouldn't have so much self-doubt, I just want her and her babies to be safe but I wonder if I'm being more of a hindrance than a help..

(In case anyone is worried about the kitttens, we have made arrangements with Cat Haven (we are in Aus, it is a cat shelter that takes surrendered cats\kittens and rehomes them) that they will take the litter and help us with having Missy spayed :)

Lovebirds.jpg Missy belly.jpg

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You absolutely did the right thing. The vet was wrong on that one. She and the kittens could get injured or sick outdoors, and you might not be able to find them. And if she went into labor outside and had complications, you wouldn't be there to help/bring her to the vet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that was bad advice from your vet and I might consider finding a new one moving forward. Glad you trusted your gut.

When is the neuter appointment for your boy?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it’s definitely good that you’re keeping her indoors! It’s a lot safer for her, and you don’t want to risk her giving birth outside (where both she and her kittens would be vulnerable), and then not being able to find her kittens.

Also, just an FYI, in case your boy’s neuter appointment is before your girl’s spay: male cats will still be fertile for up to a month after being neutered, so be sure that you keep them separated during that time, or until your girl is spayed.

Thank you for taking in these kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I really really appreciate the advice and reassurance! I didn't know if I was being an overbearing helicopter mum lol and yes, those were my fears too - that she'd give birth in a place I'd never find and that she wouldn't have any help at hand if she needed it, plus that it would just make everything 100% harder with helping her if there are any complications with the labour, and making sure the kittens are safe and growing ok. I just want them to have the best chance in life!

We had planned to get them spayed at the same time, I figured as soon as she starts weaning (? is that ok?). They are a bonded pair and each cry when they can't see the other, so I figured having them done at the same time would be less traumatic for both of them (at least one would not be left at home without the other and they can recover together maybe?) but happy to take advice if this is a bad idea!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First make both of them inside cats. The only good thing that can happen not an outdoor cat is to become a full time indoor cat. Over the years I have found more than one cat killed by a dog. Plus there are cars. Many years past, I saw a driver swerve to deliberately hit a cat. And then some people just hate cats. At best, they will call animal control, at worst, if they are sadistic, they will shoot them with a pellet gun, kick them, or hit them with a stick.

Use a cardboard box to make a nest for her. Covered top and a blanket or a couple of towels on the bottom. With food, and water in reach. Plus start feeding her kitten food now until she weens the kittens. Maybe mix up some powdered Kitten Milk Replacement and put a saucer out every day. It contains a lot of fat, protein, and calcium she needs to build healthy kittens. Again, from now and until the kittens are weened!

Good luck, and happy kittens! Please keep us informed. Thanks for rescuing these cats!

Last edited:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the problem is that the mama can actually go into heat again, even silent heat, only a couple weeks after giving birth. Some go into heat just a week later. The guy could get her pregnant again before you have a chance to spay.

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! Yup, we have them both indoors, figured it would be easier and less stressful for them to stay together. I'm hoping that by the time they have recovered from the sterilisation surgery they will have gotten used to being 100% indoors and we can just leave it like this. We had initially tried keeping just her inside and him outside but he paced up and down the side of the house outside meowing loudly in a panic, even though he could see her through the glass. I was worried what my neighbours would think I was doing so we let him in and he settled very quickly. There was less wailing when we left the house this morning, though I can see that yesterday they attacked my window flyscreens some more ... which I think I am going to have to replace now haha It was really lovely weather yesterday and I thought they'd like some fresh air!

To be honest, my partner wondered if the wound she came back with that time could have been human caused, as it was almost a perfect one inch square of skin completely removed down to the white. I don't understand how anyone is capable of animal cruelty, though I know it happens :( It is just so opposite to how I think/feel that it's incomprehensible to me. All these two had to do was meow a few times down the end of my driveway and I turned into a walking food dispenser lol

I will find out where can find kitten milk replacement today :D We have a couple of boxes/crates/hopeful nesting sites set up in our spare room, but more often than not these days she'll be lounging out in the open on the ottoman or under the dining table on the hard floor! haha and yup, the minute the vet told us she was pregnant (after the panic subsided lol) I got her a bag of kitten food (Royal Canin) and when we discovered she had worms, also queen-safe worming/flea etc treatments and treated both cats. Having never had cats before, I was bit scared of them to begin with, and have only just started having the courage to try to pick Mister up (had no issue carrying my old 20kg border collie, but a 3kg cat and I balk lol) ... so taking on 2 cats, plus one of them being pregnant... it's been a huge learning curve for me lol I have been doing so much reading and watching of Youtube clips ... and doing a lot of anxious nail biting as the days go on..!

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the problem is that the mama can actually go into heat again, even silent heat, only a couple weeks after giving birth. Some go into heat just a week later. The guy could get her pregnant again before you have a chance to spay.
We had considered getting him done this week, mainly to keep him a bit out of the way of interfering with mum while she is doing her thing but then changed our minds - I will speak with my partner about getting him fixed sooner rather than later :)

JennyFergX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be careful with the window screens. I'm not sure if you have more than one story. But I left windows open a bit and my girl scratched a hole through the screen big enough to escape. I came home to find her outside! She had gone out to the roof and somehow gotten down. I won't leave them open wide enough for her to fit through anymore!

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be careful with the window screens. I'm not sure if you have more than one story. But I left windows open a bit and my girl scratched a hole through the screen big enough to escape. I came home to find her outside! She had gone out to the roof and somehow gotten down. I won't leave them open wide enough for her to fit through anymore!
Oh definitely!! We have them shut today as there's a chance of rain, but in future we won't be leaving the windows fully open - I didn't know they would even think of ripping them until I got home and saw the claw marks! Fortunately it's only one floor but still - I'm scared if she gets out I won't see her again until she has her litter in tow so don't want to risk it!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read your posts, Jacelync. You can get Kittens Milk Replacement from Pet Smart, and probably other pet shops. Buy the powdered form. Then you can just mix up what you need. The dry form will not spoil. There is also liquid forms of KMR, but you have to keep them refrigerated after you open them.

Good luck with your cats and the kittens to be! Keep us posted with updates, please.

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again! Will definitely keep you posted =) I'm scared and excited and anxious all at once, and wishing I had some sort of kittycam installed at home so I could see what they're doing during the day (though going from the weekend it was mostly sleeping lol)

My partner Lee has tmw off work, so we made an appointment to get Mister fixed and while he's under they'll do all the vaccinating and microchipping as well. Hopefully he'll forgive us for the pain, and for putting him through yet another terrifying crate/car ride :cringe:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t think you don’t absolutely need KMR, unless she’s refusing, or unable to nurse the kittens. However, it is good to have some on standby, just in case. Most pet supply stores have KMR, but if you can’t find any, goat’s milk is a suitable replacement. Just don’t get “cat sip milk”, this is a treat for adult cats, and doesn’t have all the nutrients needed by growing kittens.

For her nesting box, I would recommend using an old (but clean!) towel, that you wouldn’t mind throwing away afterwards.

This article has some more information about preparing for delivery: Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's been almost 3 weeks since the vet said she would be due "in the next week". Between Missy's various escape attempts (my completely ruined window flyscreen and soon to follow door), the emptying of cat litter trays all over the floor (which I jokingly say is her taking revenge on her captors, but probably is just her being a very vigorous digger lol), the random swipes she takes at our ankles when we walk past, and the occasional death glare when I want to watch her babies moving or take pictures of her belly, I'm pretty sure she is over this whole pregnancy business :lol:

Meanwhile I am just waiting for stockholm syndrome to kick in :p

Tick tock tick tock, the wait is agonising!!!

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just wanted to reach out after reading and say thank you!!! I know how hard and stressful it is rescuing these cats especially the strays. I find myself wondering if everyone in this world cared as deeply as we do for these cats it would sure be a better life for all of them. not enough ppl care,they turned their heads and think its not their problem.thanks so much for giving these cats a chance to live a happy life. Im a mama of 4 rescues and ive saved over a dozen off the sts,and they all now have homes. I promise that the love they will give you in return will be worth every stress! how are they doing now? I as well have a pregnant stray at the moment who showed up at my door 1 wk ago and is due to be spayed tom am. If my rescue is too far along I will def keep her until the kittens come so I might need your advice!! LOL...

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww thanks for your message!! You're an absolute hero!! Good luck with your stray - let me know how it goes with whether she is able to be spayed or not! :)

I have to confess, until this pair started hiding under my car and I came to realise one stormy night they were still sleeping out there because they simply had nowhere else to go I probably used to be one of those who turned my head - not because I didn't care, but because I just didn't know any better. I just assumed the cats on my street belonged to people and so didn't act sooner on this. Hence I feel 100% responsible for her pregnancy :( I want to make it right for her, and give them both a safe, warm, loving home and some stability. It's only been after doing a lot of reading on this site, and following kitten lady etc that I've realised what a monumental issue this is. Where I live in Western Australia there is (to my knowledge) no TNR program, resources for our animal shelters are stretched (very little government funding, and run mostly on donations) and my local Council will not even collect stray cats - only dogs. I know I can't save them all, but at least I can help these two.. hopefully it is enough.

Meanwhile, little Mister has recovered nicely from his snip, and last night watched a cat birthing video with me :lol:

IMG_4447.jpg

He's come such a long way from the skittish little man who wouldn't even eat if we were within sight of the food bowl. I'm sure he must've been someone's pet once - now that he trusts us his personality has a chance to shine. He's super smoochy, happy to be picked up, playful and loves to be part of anything I do.

Missy meanwhile is super independent. She likes to watch us play but hasn't got any interest in joining in (having seen the effort it takes for her to lie down, I don't blame her lol). She's not especially smoochy unless food is involved, only wants to be touched on her own terms and is particularly sensitive about her lower back (she likes head rubs and doesn't mind being patted on her upper back near her shoulders but will turn around and take a swipe at you if your hand goes past her mid back and near the base of her tail). When I get her spayed I'd like to ask the vet to take a look at her and make sure she's ok. I did notice that compared to Mister, her back legs are quite turned open (this is not a great picture but it gives an idea). I don't know if this is anything to be concerned about.

IMG_4456.JPG

I haven't seen any obvious signs that labour might come soon - no changes in personality or behaviour, no discharge etc except that when she's not giving me death glares she sometimes just looks tired. And she seems to be suuuuper hungry. I am already feeding her more than the recommended amount on the bag of the Royal Canin kitten food, I wonder if it is ok for me to give her as much as she wants?

JacelynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_4490.JPG
So missy woke me up meowing loudly at 1.20am. When I went to check on her I saw some signs of discharge in various places on the floor and on her bedding (I hope this is the mucus plug?). She'd also used the litter for a few small pees and some diarrhoea, from what I could tell. She led me nest to nest, digging up all the towels and bedding, and has mainly laid in each place for some time or licked herself (her belly and inside her legs) all while purring very loudly. Every now and then she'll meow at me for pats, as if for reassurance. I haven't seen any contractions as yet and it's coming to 3.30am ... I'm considering leaving her to her decision making and trying to go back to sleep Hope this doesn't make me a bad cat mum lol