Pregnant or?

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat Lily has not yet been spayed (it's happening soon, so please don't yell at me) and she recently got out. Well, by my estimates, she would be due April 5. About two weeks after getting out, she threw up and seemed completely unlike herself for about a day or two, not even eating for a full twenty-four hours and I very nearly took her to the vet. However, she seemed completely fine soon after and I suspected it may have been morning sickness, but she really hasn't displayed any symptoms since then besides her heat cycle not coming for almost six weeks (which isn't completely abnormal for her).

Today, I was petting her and I noticed some weird lumps in her abdomen that I haven't felt before given that Lily generally dislikes her stomach being touched for extended periods of time. I'm not sure if its just me being a worrywart or something's wrong with her, but any ideas? She'll be spayed either way, but I've never had a pregnant cat, so I just want confirmation either way.

star72907

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no vet but I've had a few pregnant cats over the years, they never showed any signs of being pregnant other that a growing round belly. Obviously it depends how far but it will get to a point where u will know without a doubt if her belly is big in proportion to her and very round. I could feel the kittens moving toward the end the last time I knew she was almost due and we watched a movie heard a little meow when the movie ended and 4 kittens were born I missed the whole thing right in the next room I was so sad. My cat hadn't gone into heat I was having issues had to move. She was exclusively an indoor cat and I let her on my porch of my new house unaware there were 2 strays on the farm who also knew how to get on the porch. I have 1 male who is fixed so it took me a while to accept she was pregnant and figure out how. I got her fixed a year ago she got out once and got stuck 50 feet high in a tree. Fire department called and everything. It's been quite an adventure. Good luck

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, my cat Lily has not yet been spayed (it's happening soon, so please don't yell at me) and she recently got out. Well, by my estimates, she would be due April 5. About two weeks after getting out, she threw up and seemed completely unlike herself for about a day or two, not even eating for a full twenty-four hours and I very nearly took her to the vet. However, she seemed completely fine soon after and I suspected it may have been morning sickness, but she really hasn't displayed any symptoms since then besides her heat cycle not coming for almost six weeks (which isn't completely abnormal for her).

Today, I was petting her and I noticed some weird lumps in her abdomen that I haven't felt before given that Lily generally dislikes her stomach being touched for extended periods of time. I'm not sure if its just me being a worrywart or something's wrong with her, but any ideas? She'll be spayed either way, but I've never had a pregnant cat, so I just want confirmation either way.
That depends in much how used to touch her tummy and even palpitate you are.

If she is pregnant for real as you counted, you should feel the kittens move for at least one week now, probably two.

If you feel just some clumps, she is either not preg - and these clumps are something else.

OR she got pregnant later on, not on the time you thought, but 3-4 weeks afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I had pretty much assumed she wasn't anyway, so I feel like this just confirms it. If it isn't babies, what could the lumps be, and should I be worried/take her to the vet?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she should see a vet - unexplained lumps could be any number of things. Would you consider having her spayed? It's much better for her health, both immediately and long term.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has an appointment to be spayed soon, so I'll bring it up then.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks. I had pretty much assumed she wasn't anyway, so I feel like this just confirms it. If it isn't babies, what could the lumps be, and should I be worried/take her to the vet?
Yes, if so its definitely a vet errand. Its almost surely something serious.  May be something very serious, may be something serious but possible to cure without much problems perhaps with antibiotics.

Do it asap you can get time with a good vet.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick Update: She seems to have a brownish, mucus-y discharge down there.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it really possible that she's pregnant?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have an unspayed female cat who has been outside and/or around intact males, it is very possible that she's pregnant.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just very confused because she hadn't seemed to display many symptoms and now she could be going into labor.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything you've described is actually aligned with symptoms of a pregnant cat.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom will be happy to hear that… :/ I guess we'll just have to wait now.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most cats follow a pattern with pregnancy, but just as humans do, some march to the beat of their own drum ;-) Only time will tell. If kitty appears to be in any distress I assume you'll get her to the vet. For now, just take good care of her and wait. Good luck to you! :-)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now would be a good time to set up some nests around your house in dark, quiet rooms. You should also get some kitten essentials - a scale, kitten milk replacer, and a needleless syringe. Mom should eat as much as she wants right now and through nursing.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be sure to do/get all of that. Part of me feels like she'll just give birth on my bed though.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And she very well could. But it is nice to give her some options. You will want somewhere to move her and the babies after they are here anyway, she'll need a nest to take care of them in.

lily221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've realized my cat actually got pregnant two weeks later than I had originally thought which means she's really seven weeks along and I'm extremely worried about the discharge. I'm not able to get to the vet at the moment, so I have no clue what it could be. I need help.