Pregnant, or just really fat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not put vinegar on the kittens, as it might put mom off licking them. I also would not bathe mom right now.

Can you get a tube of flea product for mom's neck in your country?
I'm going to wait a few more days until I bathe mum, and putting the vinegar on them actually makes her lick them more! I just squirt a tiny bit onto my hands and then rub the kittens (especially their neck and armpits) and then Sparrow snatches them off me, gives me a really grumpy look, and licks them furiously for a good few minutes!

And do you mean advantage? We get frontline spray over here, but I've heard stories of it not working because it's imported and isn't kept in the 'ideal conditions', and I'm not keen on giving the mum or kittens a chemical that has a good chance of not working - I've read that fleas are immune to the stuff too? I'm going to continue with the vinegar and hand-pick any that I do see as I've been doing so far, and then give them all a bath when the kittens are old enough.

Luckily we do have plenty of worming remedies over here, so those are alright if - God forbid - Sparrow or the kittens get worms too! Also, Mum's in England atm, so would you think it a good idea to tell her to buy some Diatomaceous Earth and send that over when she comes back?

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so the kittens are developing nicely, they've all opened their eyes and can support their heads :-)

I'm just a little worried about one of Sparrow's breasts, it's suddenly pretty hard and hot, could this be the beginning of mastitis? :-( I told Dad about it because Mum's currently out of the country, but he just said put coconut oil on it and clean it and she'll be fine... there's no use trying to argue with him, he'll just yell at me and say I'm being a brat.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the possible infection? She's not showing any signs of discomfort at all, she's eating loads and having little spells of craziness when she jumps off the walls. The babies are doing good too, their bellies are nice and plump and they don't mewl constantly.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Apply a warm, damp compress for now. Coconut oil is soothing if it's chapped. It just may be overused and chewed on rather than infected.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eee, they're so cute!!!!

Is it the lighting or do I see some flame point starting on the last one? At this age you'd be able to see dark points but red points are more subtle.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eee, they're so cute!!!!

Is it the lighting or do I see some flame point starting on the last one? At this age you'd be able to see dark points but red points are more subtle.
They really are! They're starting to walk now and keep escaping out of the box, so I've made them a little enclosure for the time-being :-)

Ooh I'm not sure! I'll have to wait till he's a bit older, to me they both still look white lol

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So they've all started eating now! I've started them on a raw diet and two of them are gulping it down very eagerly! One of them hasn't started eating yet, but if he hasn't started by Sunday I'll use a syringe :-) The ginger one also pooped by himself, so they're all developing nicely!

I was just wonering how many meals I should give them a day? At the moment it's only two and they get Mum's milk on top of that as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They need many small meals a day. Usually 6 at first, then 4 as their tummies get big enough to hold more.