Pregnant, or just really fat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's called evaporated milk, not condensed. Usually in the baking section, or with other shelf-stable milk products (not sure how the grocery stores are arranged over there). PET and Carnation are common brands. Definitely don't use sweetened condensed milk! That's basically candy.
I thought they were both the same thing! I'll keep looking around for some - hopefully they'll be no need for it because I'm guessing there's only 4 babies and I'm hoping she'll be handle that many! 4's considered a small litter isn't it? And alright, I won't get the sweetened stuff!

Another thing, if sweetened is the only thing I can find, would newborn babymilk powder suffice in case of an emergency? With some added egg-yolks and a bit of yoghurt?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, baby formula will do in a pinch :). Just mix it with twice as much powder as the label recommends.

4 kittens is an average litter. From what I've read, most cats drop 4 eggs when they ovulate. So you can have fewer kittens if some eggs don't implant, and more kittens if some eggs divide, but 4 is the default. So that's one good thing about cats---they don't commonly have litters of 10 or more like dogs do!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, baby formula will do in a pinch
. Just mix it with twice as much powder as the label recommends.

4 kittens is an average litter. From what I've read, most cats drop 4 eggs when they ovulate. So you can have fewer kittens if some eggs don't implant, and more kittens if some eggs divide, but 4 is the default. So that's one good thing about cats---they don't commonly have litters of 10 or more like dogs do!
Aww nice! That's available a lot over here, so at least there's something I can use :-)

Oh cool! I hope she doesn't have any more than 4, it'd make both of our jobs a whole lot easier! I'm guessing she can have them at any time now.. it's her 59th day today if my calculations are alright! :'-) I'm so excited but so SO nervous!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Any kittens yet? How is mom doing?
Nope, not yet! It's day 61 now so anytime now, I'm guessing :-) She's sleeping a lot, though still has her random 'crazy bursts' where she'll run around the house like she's chasing something lmao. I've so far got 2 places set up for her, but she seems more interested in the bathroom [emoji]128517[/emoji]

She hasn't 'dropped' yet either, still big and fat! The babies seem to be moving around a little less today, though, but they did the same thing last week too... I suppose I'll just wait and see! Knowing cats, she'll probably pop them out when I least expect it!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh but she is milking! It's proper milk now, not the clear-fluid that came out a few weeks ago!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
From everything that I read it should be soon then! can't wait to see some pictures!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing it's either today or tomorrow! She didn't have as much food as she normally does this morning - she just touched a tiniest piece of her tripe. She's also yowling A LOT and is digging at one of the nesting sites I made her :-) Her vagina also looks... well, open? She's acting like she's on heat, tbh, and her belly has kind of dropped? The kittens aren't moving that much, and to be honest, it's kind of hard to feel them! I'm hoping they come soon, its the 63rd day today!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, would it help if I put a little coconut oil on her nipples? They are a little caked, and I don't want them to be dry or uncomfortable for her!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had the kittens last night! :-) One's a ittle ginger and white, and there's 2 full white's! They all look beautifully healthy and Mum was amazing - it was such a quick birth, about 4 hours overall! She's had all the placenta's, too, so her poop was a tad dark this morning. One of the babies did have a little bit of trouble finding a nipple, but I got him to suckle on one and he's fast asleep, latched onto it right now! <3

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eee, so she is a ginger under the white! One of the kittens may be a point, can't tell for a couple weeks. I think points usually look a little grayish compared to pure whites, and the first one does look a tad less white than the other. . .so maybe. If so, if a boy it will be a ginger point, if it's a girl it'll be a tortie point. Unless Sparrow is actually tortie not ginger, that would just make it a little more difficult, lol.

Can you tell what sex the white ones are yet? The ginger has to be a boy so you can use him for comparison.

They look so fat and healthy, I'm sure she'll be a good mom. Congrats!

Last edited:

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eee, so she is a ginger under the white! One of the kittens may be a point, can't tell for a couple weeks. I think points usually look a little grayish compared to pure whites, and the first one does look a tad less white than the other. . .so maybe. If so, if a boy it will be a ginger point, if it's a girl it'll be a tortie point. Unless Sparrow is actually tortie not ginger, that would just make it a little more difficult, lol.

Can you tell what sex the white ones are yet? The ginger has to be a boy so you can use him for comparison.

They look so fat and healthy, I'm sure she'll be a good mom. Congrats!
Haha I guess she is! Ooooh, that'll be exciting, I hope we do get a ginger or tortie point! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

And no, I haven't handled them too much yet, I'll try and sex them tonight :-) Sparrow's very settled though, she's even letting the other cat's come in for 'visits' lmao. Before she went into full-blown labour she actually thought that my rescue kitten, Saru, was her kid and tried dragging him to her nest by the scruff of his neck! She seems to have forgotten all about her adopted son now, though [emoji]128517[/emoji]

I hope she is! Three babies should be a lot easier for her than a larger litter! There shouldn't be any fighting over nipples either! It's really noticeable how much they've already grown in less than a day... this time sure is going to go quickly!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have a few questions!

The kittens sleep a lot, most of them time they're sleeping, and I was wondering if this is normal? When they're asleep Sparrow decides to leave for a little stroll and sometimes she's gone for up to half an hour, if she hears them mewling, though, she'll run back to her nest, is this normal behaviour?

Another thing, they fight over nipples a lot, and when I redirect one of the kittens, he'll suck for a little and then pop off of the nipple and fall asleep - he only sucks for a few seconds, could this be enough to keep him full? His belly is plump but very VERY soft and not hard at all... they're all pooping and peeing well too, just wondering if this is all normal behaviour

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every bit of it is normal cat and kitten behavior.
Ah, thanks! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I was also wondering what the signs of mastsis are? I want to be prepared just incase I come across it- how common is it?? Sparrow's nipples are hard but not warm.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mastitis is a breast infection. So it will look like any other infection---swollen, red, yucky stuff coming out, she might have a fever. Usually the female loses her appetite and the kittens stop gaining weight. The milk glands will be hard, especially at first, so don't worry about that part. But, yeah, if the kitten stop thriving, mastitis is usually the first suspect.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mastitis is a breast infection. So it will look like any other infection---swollen, red, yucky stuff coming out, she might have a fever. Usually the female loses her appetite and the kittens stop gaining weight. The milk glands will be hard, especially at first, so don't worry about that part. But, yeah, if the kitten stop thriving, mastitis is usually the first suspect.
Oooh okay, I think her breasts have just en-largened because she's producing milk then. I'll keep an eye on it though ^-^ And he kittens are ALWAYS nursing if they're not sleeping lol, so I think they're doing okay :-)

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dang, I found a flea on one of the babies :-/ I can't see any on Mum though, but then again her fur is unbelievably thick so you can't really tell - she isn't scratching, thougj. We did have a flea problem a while back because of my rescues, but I THOUGHT it'd got under control. I found a flea the day before yesterday too, just one again. I'm cleaning their area with vinegar and spraying vinegar on Mum every day, and also rubbing some vinegar onto the babies. Is there anything else I can do? Will it be alright to bathe Mum once the babes are a week old?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not put vinegar on the kittens, as it might put mom off licking them. I also would not bathe mom right now.

Can you get a tube of flea product for mom's neck in your country?