Pregnant mama cat

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Grandma!

If this is her 2nd pregnancy it may take her longer to get back her 'old' shape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's now 7 kittens. We are not sure if we missed one while counting or if she has had another but all babies and mama seem fine. Thank you for the help!

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If we do notice some are being "rooted out" and have to help her how do we do that?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You begin an every two hour rotation by putting four kittens on her to nurse, then remove them to a warm box, and put the other three on her. The box needs a heating pad set on low under the blanket to keep them warm. You put the biggest kittens together and the smallest kittens together. This ensures that they all get their fair share.

Observe today. You may need to start this sooner than you think.

The best way to know is to mark the kittens with different colored sharpies, and weigh them every 12 hours to see who is gaining and who is not.

If you don't rotate, your other option is to hand-feed the smallest kittens, which is an around the clock task. We can explain that if needed.

Do you have KMR (kitten replacement milk) in the house? You'll also need a 1 or 2 mL syringe which any pharmacy has. We recommend the powdered KMR by PetAg, which is at Walmart and pet stores. Go ahead and get some because you will probably need it. And udder cream for mom's nipples because she is going to get sore.

Last edited:

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay.. Thanks a lot! I will get all this together ASAP!
The other two kittens we kept from her previous litter are still around is this okay? They have made no attempt to come around since the birthing process seems to be over but where she had them is not fully protected from her two oldest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where did she have them, and how old are her previous kittens?

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had them under the back deck, same spot as before. The other kittens are 3 months old.
Also someone suggested I use a baby formula when I couldn't the kmr is this safe?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR is preferable as it is formulated specifically for kittens. Human infant formula does not contain certain things like taurine which a cat needs for brain development. Are you able to get KMR?

Are the kittens safe under the deck? Are you able to tell if they are all doing okay?

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they seem to all be moving and eating. There's one or two that are always on top. I've tried to make sure none are being left out. Lucy (mama) is okay with me gently moving them around her but I don't think she would let me move them somewhere else.
I wasn't able to find it today. I looked at the stores we have around my house. I am going to call our vet tomorrow and see what she can do. Is it a definite I will have to help her feed the kittens? If so how will I know how much to feed them??

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I am unable to find KMR and you dont recommend baby formula what about goats milk??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goat's milk is fantastic! :) I'm sorry you had trouble finding KMR. Vets usually sell it, and it's avaiable at pet stores and Walmart.

The only way you'll know if a baby or two is not getting enough is by weighing them. The ones who are on top are probably going to root out the weaker ones. By the time you figure this out without weighing them daily it may be too late.

You feed based on weight, which is another reason to know how much they weigh. But it's safe to assume a newborn kitten will need 1-2 mL of formula every hour or two initially.

When hand-feeding, it's tummy down, head up as though feeding from mom. A drop or two from the syringe into the side of the mouth, let the kitten swallow and breathe and go again.

Can you move the kittens and mom inside your house? It would be easier to keep track of their eating. Mom will probably follow you wherever you take the babies.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The goats milk will need to be warm if/when you feed it to the kittens.    If you can get some and feed it to mom that would be great .  She may need the extra calcium since her litters are so close together.

Another way to give her extra calcium is to take an egg shell, remove the membrane from inside and crush into a powder.  This can be mixed with her wet food.  Calcium deficiencies can be fatal.

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I unfortunately cannot move her into the house due to my husbands allergies. I have noticed the kittens crying some I assume they are just fussing because as of now they all look about the same size. Today we kept them rotated pretty good. I will weight them though and continue my search for the KMR. I will also do the eggs and goats milk for Lucy. She is exhausted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please try to get their weights as soon as you can. They should not be crying much at all if they are full. It's the only way we can know who is thriving and who is not.

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New problem... I noticed wherever Lucy sits there's some blood. She has never done this before. She acts normal but What could be happening?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her kittens were born 2 days ago. Some discharge after birthing is normal, but it should be mostly "spotting" and it should diminish and stop within a few days. Bright red blood is a sign that she may need to see the vet.

How are the kittens doing?

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it's red but it is just spotting I'll keep an eye on her. The kittens are all eating and growing except for one. It's not way smaller but does seem skinner than the rest, so I am separating them 4 and 3 like someone suggested earlier. Even though most of my time has been spent rotating them it still seems like her 3 calico are the strongest and kept pushing this little one away :(. Our oldest daughter is bringing home either KMR or goats milk any minute now. I wasn't able to go out myself today (I also babysit real babies not just kitten babies) I believe helping Lucy feed them will take load off. She didn't even blink when I got the 3 out. Last time this close after delivering if we even acted like we were going to touch one she would move her body so they were hidden. She's a good mama she cleans and cuddles them. But I know she's so tired. How do animals without homes do this? Or am I doing to much??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you are not doing too much. I was the one who instructed you to weigh the kittens and begin rotating before it was too late. I have also urged you to get KMR or goat's milk on hand asap. I explained a few posts up that the biggest and strongest would root out the weak ones with a litter this size. I think now you are beginning to understand what I mean.

I also explained how to hand feed up above. You must be very careful not to rush feeding so the kittens do not inhale formula into their lungs. If they do, they will get pneumonia and die within 24 hours. Please re-read my earlier posts about feeding and how much to feed.

She's exhausted because she has had this pregnancy and litter right on top of her last one, and she has no reserves. She needs as much food as she can eat right now - both wet and dry. She'll also need to drink a bowl of the milk every day to boost her calcium levels.

You will need to burp the babies and stimulate them to go potty after feeding. Do you need instructions for this?

The babies must be kept warm when away from mom in order to eat and digest. They cannot regulate their own body temperature for the first three weeks. This is done by using a heating pad set on low under a blanket.

For cats in the wild it is survival of the fittest. Those who can't manage die.

Last edited: