Pregnant mama cat

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of using baby formula and I would highly suggest against it because it's formulated for human babies.

My apologies, this was answered long ago... Oops [emoji]128540[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Sarther2. I do need instructions on the burping and such. The KMR is a hit. Lucy loves it. The do not cry like in the very beginning and I do not separate them for very long just enough for the tiny one to eat. I do make sure it's very warm though!
While feeding the babies how slow should I go? Would a bottle be better so they could control it? My daughter said there was that option at the pet store.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nursing kittens don't take to the bottle, you'll need to use the syringe.  It will take some practice and lots of patience until you get the hang of it.  Tummy down, head up, like the kitten is laying and eating at mom.  Put one or tow drops in the side of the mouth.  Wait for the kitten to swallow and breathe and repeat.  Do not rush this.    The KMR will need to be warm and the kitten will need to be kept warm as well. 

to burp the kitten you can put her on your shoulder and pat her back.  You can also hold the kitten in your palm or put her on your forearm and pat the back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which babies are you planning to feed?

Can you please get weights on the smallest ones so I can better advise you how much to feed?

Do you have a kitchen scale?

I'm happy mama kitty likes the KMR!

Last edited:

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe I may be in over my head on feeding the kittens. I am afraid I will hurt them while trying to help them. I will continue to give mama the KMR and rotating the kittens. So far this is working fine. They are not crying they eat and sleep like normal babies. Honestly the one I was worried about is not really that much smaller. Not sure if rotating is working or I was just over reacting?? Lucy seems to be acting a lot better as well. She's not looking like she's on deaths door,she's back to her old self. No more spotting either! I really appreciate your help and please continue to remember us. My husband helps from afar lol our kids try but the kittens are so tiny ...
I love having somewhere to go with all my (many many) questions.

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BUT of course if I have to step in and attempt to help her feed them I will!!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you weigh the kittens ever day at the same time, it will be easy to see if you need to step in.  The kittens should gain a minimum of 6 - 10 grams or .2 - .4 ounces a day.

Just keep using this thread if you have more questions.

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will have to get a scale but thanks again I will!

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some reason Lucy moved the kittens. Evidently she moved them several times. She left different kittens in different places. Unfortunately by the time we found all of them one had died and I am fairly certain another is pretty close. It won't eat, for me or her. The others are doing good. They have grown a lot! I have moved them into a place where I thought she could not separate them but this morning she still had the one weak one away from the rest! What do you think is going on?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably doesn't think that kitten is going to make it.   Try putting a little light karo syrup, liquid honey or glucose  on the kittens lips  or gums and then feeding it.

I'm not sure why she keeps moving them.  She may be looking for a quieter spot.

mycutekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly the kitten has died it's breathing was labored and it was very sleepy. It never woke up.
The rest of kittens are all eating and growing normally. Hopefully she will be able to take care of these five. All 3 of the cats Lucy and her kittens we kept from her previous litter have appts to be spayed and neutered. This is so sad.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not at all surprised by this outcome. Without intervention the smallest were destined to perish.

All will need to be spayed and neutered.

Last edited: