Pregnant female; labor (updated)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat is currently in the exam room ☹ Checking for heartbeats right now and doing an x ray. A possible c section depending on what the doctor thinks.

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got home, as of now we don’t need a c section. The vet did an X-ray and saw 2 more babies, he took a Doppler to make sure they had heartbeats since the first was a stillborn and they’re both doing great. He showed me the X-ray and one kitten was pretty close to the birth canal so it shouldn’t be much longer. I’ve been instructed if she doesn’t have them by tomorrow afternoon we’re going to have to go the c section route.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow, good for you - did they give general tips regarding the babies, for example to weigh them constantly to make sure they're gaining weight? oh, and to feed mama kitten food in addition to her regular food, to help her system now that it's working for babies too?

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! He gave me a bunch of info and told me if I need anything just to give him a call and he’ll guide me through it! It was my first time at that vet but I absolutely loved them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need a few more days to deliver, especially since she already gave birth to one. I would avoid the c-section at least through the weekend, then the vet should first give her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate labor and see if she has them vaginally. A c-section should be a last resort. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can be hours or days between kittens, especially if she’s not in distress. How are things today?

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been going back and forth between different spots just resting, still no more kittens 😕 she’s not acting like she’s in pain or distress, I’m going to try and push a c section off as long as possible!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s been going back and forth between different spots just resting, still no more kittens 😕 she’s not acting like she’s in pain or distress, I’m going to try and push a c section off as long as possible!
How did the dead kitten look? Ready made, fury and roundish, or visible not ready as yet?

In the time you wait for delivery, be sure she gets calcium rich food / fluids...

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was definitely ready, I’ll post a picture of her with it

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its easier to be a forum advisor if the kitten wasnt fully done. If so, its just to wait and hope the rest will mature...

If the stillborn was full ready, it gets more touchy... Most often the rest comes naturally soon enough, but there may be complications too. It may cook down into; if your vet is an experienced obstetrician? If not, the advice will be to wait it out and hope for the best.

If heshe is experienced obstetrician, the best advice is to ask for the vets advice... And probably pay for examination, taking it as a safety insurance.

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe he was, I took her to a cat specific vet and they had just rooms for the dopplers and everything but I’m not sure. I was going to see how she did over night tonight and if still nothing call and see if they want to do a c section or try to induce her, I’m just worried if she goes too long the others will pass too.

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s not even having bloody show today or anything, she’s not showing signs of straining or discomfort

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats manage a too long pregnancy better than humans. Yet "s..." happens sometimes. Both infections inside, or other complications. And tissues rupturing... The danger for rupture and crash bleeding increases with too long pregnancies...

statistically its best to wait, but its touchy.... On the other hand, a too early cesaeran endangers the kittens... That is why its best to have help from an experienced obstetrician.
A so so veterinarian will manage the surgery OK, but he will have difficult to see and decide if its better to wait or if its really necessary to do a cesarean...

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I haven’t updated, we’ve been grieving as she lost all 3 babies 😞 she had the first 2 when no one was around so we didn’t get to see what really happened, she had the 3rd near us and it seemed like she was just scared to push so it suffocated. Mommas resting but really grieving. I feel so bad for her I’m not sure what to do

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so very very sorry to hear this!! RIP babies :hearthrob:

Try some cat music for her, low volume classical harp music, and call around to your vet, other vets, shelters, rescues et al to see if there are any orphan kittens that your mama cat could nurse.