Pregnant female; labor (updated)

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first time posting. I have a very pregnant female cat, her belly’s dropped really low and her nipples look pretty crusty like they had been leaking. The last day she’s been pacing around crying throughout the day, it’s not too persistent though. I also have an unneutered male cat, he is the dad. I know I should’ve gotten him fixed but all the places near me either wanted $200 or more to do it, I don’t have that money to spend on it, or a long wait but the cost is $55 (it’s a low cost reputable vet), he is scheduled but the earliest I could get him in in April 6th and I scheduled this months ago not long after I got him so please don’t bash me for it. Since she’s been crying he’s been trying to mount her, he bites her neck and kinda pulls hair out. I obviously get him off of her as soon as I see it or hear her getting agitated. I’ve been trying to keep them separated but he always manages to get to her because he’s somehow able to open doors as crazy as that sounds.
So my question is, why is he trying to mate again when she’s already so close to going into labor?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's trying to mate with her simply because he's a male cat. They do that. He should calm down a few weeks after he is neutered and not have such a strong desire to mate as before (although neutered males will also sometimes exhibit mounting behavior).

Your female cat, and her kittens when they are born, need to have their own safe protected space. You need to keep your male out of her space so that he doesn't bother her. If he has access to her, he can even get her pregnant again shortly after birth... and you really don't want that to happen. Can you set her up in a bedroom with everything she needs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a whole closet set up for her in my bedroom, she just refuses to stay in there, being pregnant has completely changed her. Before she would’ve been fine sitting in the closet and just having the room to herself but now she wants to be social with everyone. I’m really hoping all this sickness going on isn’t going to cause me to have to postpone him getting fixed. Thank you for the response!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's able to open doors (it's not as strange as it sounds, it does happen) then it's going to be very hard to keep them separated. Do you have a friend or family member who could take care of him for a while, at least until you get him neutered?

You should also really get her spayed because she will continually go into heat and try to escape, and when she eventually gets out of the house she's all but guaranteed to come back pregnant. If you can afford it see if you can bring her in at the same time as your male.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a whole closet set up for her in my bedroom, she just refuses to stay in there, being pregnant has completely changed her. Before she would’ve been fine sitting in the closet and just having the room to herself but now she wants to be social with everyone. I’m really hoping all this sickness going on isn’t going to cause me to have to postpone him getting fixed. Thank you for the response!

I don't think she is being social as much as she is restless. Her due date must be approaching.

When my female cat was pregnant I set up a large dog crate to put her in. That way, I could lock her in and the other cats wouldn't bother her. Obviously, I only locked her in on the day she was about to give birth and after the kittens were born I took she, kittens, and crate into my bathroom.

I don't know what you're set up is like at your house, but I would pick out a room for her and then put a hook on the door. My one cat is notorious for opening doors, but he can't undo hooks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hook on the door is not only quick, easy, and cheap, but a great idea! Don’t let your cats run the show. Keep them separated - they will get used to it in time. Go ahead and schedule mom’s spay now too if the waiting list is that long. Keep us posted on her pregnancy! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its quite common when they are high preg, it seems they let go of heat hormones. If its sheer pressure squeezing the glands, or a natures way to get things going, I dont know.
We know with humans, a often used trick to get the delivery going is to do the "wedding duties"... Possibly also with cats?

Anyway, if she seems bothered, do separate them, of course... Let her be in her own room.

Afterwards, when the kittens are there? If parents are normally good friends, he shouldnt be dangerous for the kittens, and may even co-parent them. But of course, watch out closely esp in the beginning. Also, there is a big possibility he doensnt know how to handle small kittens, and may be too rough...
If you notice it not cozy and nice, do separate them, and double so, if you notice momma is protective and irritated by the male.

Also, observe, she may come into heat already one week after delivery, especielly as having a tom nearby.... So THIS is an excellent reason to separate them.... You dont want her to become preg anew that soon....

So, the most common advice is to separate them. Although I know of examples when the tom - biological father or just the stud in house but good friend with momma; did coparent.... Not that unique.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm have you contacted rescues to see if they have a snr program? some do and can offer lower rates

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry I haven’t responded much! I think we’re getting close to labor time as she’s very restless, meows a lot, and just being very lovable which isn’t her norm. so for the time being my boy is staying with my sister and her cats (all males that get along great), I’m going to contact them and see if I can schedule mommas surgery. I attached a picture of my pregnant lady ☺

Attachments

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its quite common when they are high preg, it seems they let go of heat hormones. If its sheer pressure squeezing the glands, or a natures way to get things going, I dont know.
We know with humans, a often used trick to get the delivery going is to do the "wedding duties"... Possibly also with cats?

Anyway, if she seems bothered, do separate them, of course... Let her be in her own room.

Afterwards, when the kittens are there? If parents are normally good friends, he shouldnt be dangerous for the kittens, and may even co-parent them. But of course, watch out closely esp in the beginning. Also, there is a big possibility he doensnt know how to handle small kittens, and may be too rough...
If you notice it not cozy and nice, do separate them, and double so, if you notice momma is protective and irritated by the male.

Also, observe, she may come into heat already one week after delivery, especielly as having a tom nearby.... So THIS is an excellent reason to separate them.... You dont want her to become preg anew that soon....

So, the most common advice is to separate them. Although I know of examples when the tom - biological father or just the stud in house but good friend with momma; did coparent.... Not that unique.
They’ve gotten along just fine so I’m *hoping* he’ll be ok

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry my response got cut short, I do have a question. So I just noticed momma is bleeding a little bit, not too much so I’m guessing this is the first sign of labor? What all can I do besides making sure she’s comfortable in her own quiet spot?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just spend time with her and reassure her. Bloody show occurred with my cat on and off for a couple of days before delivery. She sounds close!

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you everyone for helping me out! She’s just hanging out in her box for now occasionally coming out to check her surroundings! Fingers crossed we’ll have some kittens here soon!

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some more advice! One kitten was born, unfortunately a still born, we’re still waiting for other kittens as she’s still having a little bit of bloody show and acting like she’s in labor still with a super hard belly. How long between kittens is normal?

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a baby earlier today, I’m not sure if it was stillborn or if something else happened, but she hasn’t had any more kittens since. She’s not in distress, she’s actually been super lovable, eating and drinking normally, and having a little bit of bloody show still. Is this normal? I’ve read some places that a stillborn could stop labor for a while but this is the first time I’ve been around a cat in labor so I’m not sure.

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can call but I can’t guarantee I can take her in due to the sickness going around our governor has been shutting everything down

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try calling anyway, they may have advice for you, things to watch for and that sort of thing :) If you just get a phone message, see if they provide an emergency number.

Ashleycreech21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I’ll go ahead and give them a call and see what they recommend doing. Thank you 😊