Pregnant Cat?

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3-4 weeks ago I took my cat to the vet because we thought she was pregnant. They said they think she is but she would only be about 2 weeks. Her last heat cycle was around May 6th. She did get outside despite our efforts. The vet said to bring her back for an X-ray in about 2 weeks. We were not financially able to do so, so we have no confirmation. She’s thrown up a couple times. She sleeps all the time. She is following me, literally everywhere I go. When it’s not me, it’s my husband. Her nipples don’t look like they have pinked up. If she is pregnant she’s probably about 7-8 weeks now. I’m just confused by her behavior recently. We took her in as a stray over a year ago. We do plan to get her spayed. Any advice??

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does not look pregnant, but I cannot see her nipples. Are her sides bigger? You may just have to wait and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s a different picture. This was taken yesterday. I also have pictures of her nipples. I’m not sure if this is her first pregnancy or not. If she is pregnant. The vet said she’s about 3 1/2 years old. I’ll post the pictures of her nipples that I have. She seems heavier as well.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks like she may be pregnant in these pictures. You should just assume she is for now and make sure she is getting good nutrition. If she is, she would have a couple of weeks left to go if she conceived sometime during the week of May 6th.

How long have you had her?

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When should we expect kittens if she is pregnant? We’ve had her for about a year now, I would say.

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so confused by her behavior. She keeps trying to get outside but she is not in heat. Her tummy is very hard and she’s still following us around everywhere we go.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not let her outside! Her instincts may be telling her to go nest outside. It’s the last thing she needs to do. Continue to show her the nests you’ve made for her in the house.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would play it safe and keep her inside until she is spayed (after the babies are weaned if she is pregnant.) Cat pregnancies last 58-67 day. Since the vet said maybe 2 weeks along and it has been another 2 weeks, then she should have another 28-37days left. Then in one month she would have just given birth, be ready to pop in about a week or obviously not pregnant.

Either way keeping her inside and feeding her kitten food for a month will not harm her. If she tries to escape, keep 2 doors between her and the outside at all times, to guarantee she can not get out.

I know X-rays are expensive. There are many low cost spay/neuter clinics (my local one does it for 40$.) A lot of those clinics also have low cost vaccine days.
:goodluck:

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s quite good at getting outside with the way our house is laid out. We would have to lock her in our room to keep her from going outside. Which that is the plan put in place currently when she gives birth. We get her back inside. She mated around May 6th so I would think she is due next week roughly. I plan to start keeping her locked up in our room with her food, water, and litter box. Would that be ok to do? We do not want her giving birth outside. We also definitely want to keep her away from our children as well.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Feed her kitten food, kibble and wet. Plus a saucer or two per day of KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement). Keep up the this feeding levels until she weans the kittens. She needs the extra calories and protein for the developing kittens, and after their birth, she will need it for her milk production. And please keep her indoors!

Good luck! And keep us posted on her progress!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should keep her inside starting now, even if that means getting her settled in her room earlier than you would like.

She could have the kittens early, or she could run off to find a nest and not make it back. It’s not worth the risk.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She also can get pregnant again very quickly after giving birth. I would confine her now to the room she is to give birth and play it safe. You might not be able to afford the xrays but vaccinating and deworming all the kittens is going to cost a lot, on top of testing the mother and kittens to make sure when she mated she didn't pick up FIV or FeLV and passed it onto the kittens. Plus be prepared if she has any complication and needs an emergency c-section, or if she won't properly nurse and you will have to bottle feed. This can all be very expensive.

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Will definitely set her room up for her to stay in. Will also start saving up for the deworming and vaccinations for the kittens. But curiosity.. Is there a reason she is licking the couch, like in the picture?

Attachments

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No updates yet. She’s meowing like she’s in heat when we’re not around. She only does it like twice and then she’s done. Could this be her starting contractions? I’m so confused with her behavior. Her nipples were really pink the other morning. I’ll post a picture.

Attachments

Knicolai91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she is just vocalizing. Her hormones are in high gear and she’s meowing about it! No contractions yet. :)
Will her meow be different when labor starts?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just me or do her lower nipples look like they have a white dot on the end of them?