Pregnant cat questions

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, 

I have some questions concerning a cat I recently took in, the following is a LOT of information of how I ended up with her, currently health issues, and as much of her history that I know,  sorry its so long, I just want to make sure I have everything covered :)  

I took in my sisters cat on July 18th.  She had an emergency situation and had to re-home her two cats. Her friend took one, the other cat was dropped off at my house, and she was going to bring her to the shelter within a few days. I didn't mind having her here for a few days, she was an outside cat, so I set her up a little house, and had food and water available for her. 

We had a storm coming in, so I set her up in a spare kennel for a day. Needless to say, she kind of grew on me, and we decided to keep her. My fiancee was adamant about her getting a flea bath asap, and getting her wormed. I gave her a flea bath, and dewormed her with one we had gotten from the vet a few months ago. It was strongid, which I have since researched and seems to be safe for pregnant cats.

I had set up her spay and vaccinations through a low cost clinic I've used a lot, and the soonest I could get her in was in September. I figured I'd keep her in the house until then, and if she did sneak out and get pregnant, I would have them aborted because it would have been an early termination. 

On the day of the appointment, which was July 26th, I could feel whats best described as gas bubbles/little taps. Based on the massive diarrhea she had been having, I kind of figured that's what it was. I also noticed a lump by her hips, on both sides, and figured she probably had kidney issues. Her nipples were slightly pink, and rather large, but she had a litter on mother's day, so I didn't think too much of it. 

I told the vet I think she may be pregnant, he confirmed she was pregnant. Did an xray, but there were no bones visible at that time. He guessed around 2-3 kittens, and that she may have them in 2-3 weeks. She has a yeast infection in her ears, I have since found two fleas on her, and have been combing her once or twice a day and haven't found any more as of yet. I flea bathed all my other animals as a precautionary.  Vet wanted to wait until after kittens are born to treat her ears. 

I have to reschedule her spay at the low cost clinic, and will be getting all the kittens done there as well. I can't abort now, I felt them moving, and I saw them moving yesterday a little bit as well. I don't have the heart to do that at this stage. The kittens will be staying with us for 12 weeks, and will get all the vet care they need before rehoming.

I picked up some KMR, bottles, I have syringes, been feeding Momma Cat grain free kitten food and wet food. She has had diarrhea in varying stages since I started her on grain free food, it was like pure liquid for some time, switched to more of a playdoh type, and now it switches between the two. I have been mixing a small amount of canned pumpkin in, and also added some cat probiotics. Its helped a little. I'll be getting her stool tested in the upcoming days. 

Her past info-  is that she has always been neurotic, and always have ripped out her fur according to my sister. Seeing her myself, I think she was tearing it our due to fleas, and possible allergies from the REALLY poor quality food she was fed. She was about 1yr old when my sister took her out of an even worse situation. She is approximately 3yrs old now. She has had only one litter that my sister knows of.  The litter of kittens she had was on Mothers day she wasn't able to produce milk for all four. My sister had to tube feed 3 of them, and only one survived. She also gave birth on the highest shelf in the bathroom closet and knocked one kitten down. I am trying to make sure she can't have them in an unsafe location. She was okay with my sisters other cat, but when she was pregnant, turned into a 'Mama bear", and would attack her. 

My questions are about how aggressive she is when my neutered male cat is anywhere near her. She chased him onto the bathroom counter and took an impressive amount of fur off him. I'm really happy I clipped her nails, I would have hated to see what the damage would have been with claws. She has been getting worse over the last few days. I don't blame her for being aggressive, but really don't want my cat to become skittish or traumatized from her, or worse, severely injured.  She doesn't attack him every time she sees him, it had only happened once in a while, but has been a bit more frequent lately. I realize her whole world has been turned upside down, and hormones won't be helping any, so I bought some feliway to see if it would help, but it doesn't seem to make a difference for her. 

Should I keep her locked in my bedroom for the time being? I have two boxes set up in my closet for her, as well as food, water, and a litter box too. She has been starting to nest, and was trying to get under an aquarium, but all the power strips and equipment are not good for a birthing cat, so I completely blocked it off. She has since been going into my closet now.  My room is pretty chilly with the ac running, and turning it lower isn't an option. I do have a heat lamp I could set up over part of a nesting box, if that would work?  

Also, is it normal that her stomach will change from being rock hard to not so hard throughout the day? I know when I was pregnant, and those braxton hicks would come, my stomach would get hard and then more soft. I don't think she'll be having them for at least another week or two, but I haven't been around pregnant cats in four years. I am not sure if cats get braxton hicks, but being mammals and all, I figure its a possibility. 

She has been really loving belly rubs lately, and has been my shadow every where I go. Last night she actually slept by my stomach instead of my feet and was pretty adamant about having her belly rubbed around 1am lol The kittens were really active, it was so amazing feeling them :) 

She's gained 1.5lbs in two and a half weeks, is that okay/normal? She looked malnourished when my sister dropped her off, but the vet seemed to think she was fine. She weighed 8lb when I first got her, and is now up to 9.5 lbs. She doesn't eat a LOT at one time, but I am thinking if she was loaded with worms, that would have caused her to look so scraggly, and maybe thats why she wasn't able to produce milk for all her kittens. I wormed her a few days after she got here, she has been steadily gaining. She was 8.4lbs at her vet appointment.

I think I have most things covered as far as supplies needed for the birth, I do have a kitchen scale that measures in grams because I weigh my guinea pigs weekly. 

If there is anything I am missing, or any tips/advice for helping her out, I would greatly appreciate it :)  

I have done a LOT of reseach, and want to make sure I am doing everything I can possibly do to help her with her pregnancy, and make sure the kittens are healthy as well. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R raynebowcat

Yes,, definitely keep your pregnant cat in your bedroom away from your male. She perceives him as a threat to her unborn kittens. It's a natural instinct in cats to be wary of predators.

It sounds to me like she needs an antibiotic to clear up a bacterial infection in her intestinal tract that is causing diarrhea. Her stools are not normal, but will clear with meds, which will not hurt the kittens. She needs to start meds asap.

You can also put a tube of Advantage II on her neck for fleas. Fleas can quickly cause anemia in tiny kittens.

Your closet sounds ideal, and the heat lamp will warm the kittens.

It's good she has put on weight, and hopefully will have no trouble feeding her kittens. You can give her a dish a day of KMR for extra calcium.

It's normal for her belly to go hard and soft.

How many embryos did the vet see, and when was this? It's possible she is further along than you think.

Welcome to TCS! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'll keep her in my room as much as possible, on really toasty days like today, I have to keep one of my doors slightly open to help with keeping the house cool. I have three small window AC units, and the one in my kitchen can't keep up on its own, and the other one is in my kids' room. I do have a way to build a cat proof screen, so I will get that done as soon as possible :) 

The vet was going to give her metronidazole, but he said it was a class C for pregnancy, so he gave me three cans of the I/D cat food, and the probiotic. I'll call my vet and hopefully will be able to talk to him. They're open until 10pm most days, which is why I love this place, and its about a 6 min drive from my house. I'll let him know that the diarrhea hasn't stopped. I figured some would be normal with the drastic change of food and deworming her, but it should have cleared up in a week, and its been longer than a week.  I'll compare their prices for the flea medication while talking with them as well, and will either get it from them, or pick it up some place else.

Should I get flea medication for my dog and other cat as well? I'm thinking yes, but if I can do flea baths on them instead, I would prefer it because cost wise it would help. If its better to do the medication, I can do that as well. Just hoping for a slightly cheaper route. Its back to school time and all four of my kids are going this year, so money will be a bit tight. 

I'm glad all the weight gain, and belly getting hard and soft is normal. 

He didn't see any embryos on the x-ray, but he could see that her uterus was swollen. He could feel at least 2-3 when he was feeling around her belly. That was on July 26th. 

I'll be honest, I think she may be further along as well. She keeps giving me this weird look. The last pregnant cat I was around would do a similar thing, and she had her babies 2 days later.  I'm going with she'll have them in a week or two, because otherwise I am going to drive myself crazy waiting. I've read enough posts on here to know that I will. I am the kind of person that checks tracking updates for packages every hour to see if something has changed LOL 

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it! I will get going on getting stuff done around here for her and the kitties :) 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you buy Advantage II for large dogs, say a 2-pack, you'll have enough for your dog and cats for more than one application. It's the exact same product, but you get more for the same money in the dog size. You can measure it and apply it with a syringe. Amazon has good prices on Advantage II.

I think a flea bath plus Advantage is the way to go, but I would not flea bath the pregnant cat again.

Ask your vet if there is something she can take for now. Let us know!

You've got your hands full! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!! I will do that, I have prime so it can get here quickly!
Do you what the dosage would be? I have lots of different size syringes, one of my guinea pigs was sick a while back and I had to force feed her, as well as give her antibiotics.
I have the larger monojet type, and I have as small as cc.
Thank you again! I never would have thought of doing that!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the cats each get .08mL.

You can attach the small syringe directly to the tip of the tube to withdraw the correct amount.

I don't know what size your dog is.

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just placed an order for it, should be here Saturday :) My fiancee was happy to hear the awesome news of using the large dog stuff and being able to split it among all the animals. He has always been supportive of my animal rescue missions, even though he himself is NOT an animal person. He understands that helping critters is part of who I am, just like I try really hard to understand that video games are important to him LOL 

Thank you for the dosage, my dog is a pug/boston terrier mutt, and he is 24lbs, possibly 25lbs since the last week he has figured out how to jump over the baby gate and get to the cat food....I swear that dog is part grasshopper with how ridiculously high he can jump! I've even found him on my bathroom counter before raiding cat food.  The cat food is much more secure now, from him, and my male cat. He has also put on a bit of weight since we've taken in my sister's cat. This will all be changing as my room will be super secure. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your dog gets one whole tube on his neck, which is 2.5 mLs.

Did you order a 4-pack of the large dog size? I can't remember if it comes in 2-packs because I always get 4-packs for my 5 cats!

It's nice to have a supportive partner! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the four pack, figure better to have more than less, and it seemed like a happy medium between 2 and 6 :) 

I'll update more as things happen, my kids have been absolute terrors so I haven't been able to call my vet office yet. They're 10, 7, 6 and 5yrs old, and two of them have autism, so it can get a bit loud and crazy here. I have to pick and choose times which I can make a phone call. Their dad is home now, so once he's done hiding in the bathroom I'll have him take over kid duty and lock myself outside for a bit of peace while I call the vet LOL 

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just giving a small update...
Waiting to hear back from the vet, her diarrhea has become a bit more formed here and there, but still resembles pudding every so often, and the smell is deadly.
She has been gaining weight still, and it up to 10lbs, so a gain of 2lbs since she's been here.

She has been starting to lick her stomach more, and i have been able to see babies moving about 4 days ago, even got it on camera! There was one pretty good kick or punch :)
She has become a lot more loving the last couple days, and been starting to go in her nesting boxes on occasion.

I don't really feel kittens moving on her sides any more, just along the bottom of her stomach now. Is It ony feels like there's one or two kittens.

I'll update when there's more report. They've all been treated for fleas, including the guinea pigs, and after some quick research, I found cockatiels and green cheek conure do NOT get fleas :)

Last edited:

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet finally called me today, the plan is to put her on an antibiotic, and test her stool just in case she has something other than what the strongid treats.

Since she has had no vaccines, he's going to see if she can be boarded there while we go out of town for a wedding next weekend, it's one night, but depending on if she has had her kittens, or if she's not producing enough milk, I want her somewhere safe.

As far as her pregnancy is going, she's doing good. The kittens were kicking like crazy last night and Rainbow Kitty kept me up until after 1am trying to climb on the top shelf in my closet. That has since been blocked off.
No contractions, no leaking on her bottom end, no milk leaking, etc. She is really loving firm belly rubs right now, and has become ultra affectionate.

I'm hoping she gives birth before the 20th, because that's when we leave.
I've been able to feel kittens move for 2 weeks, and see them for almost a week, so hopefully she'll go soonish.

I'll continue updating when there's more to report :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Antibiotics sound like a good plan. Hopefully she will have her kittens by then. She will definitely need to be in a place where she can be fed and checked on with newborns. Just hoping the vet's for that night isn't too stressful for her.

Thank you for the update! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, not sure if she if she is starting labor, but last night she had been panting for a few minutes. She did it twice that I'm aware of. She was also nesting and demanded belly rubs until almost 2am, I am so tired today lol
Her stomach has been pretty hard today, kittens haven't been moving around a lot, and she has just climbed into one of the four nesting boxes I have set up for her lol
She hasn't ate since around 4pm today, and usually she's telling at me for food around this time. She's been really sleepy today.
No discharge from nipples, or lady parts at this time.
If its labor, I'm guessing its the really early part.
I'll update when there's more news :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, pre-labor or early labor, but it sounds like she's well on her way! Hope things go well! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think I was wrong though lol She's back to eating ridiculous amount of food, and all last night, the babies were really mellow again. Most of the movement I could feel was along the bottom on her stomach. No discharge of any kind.

The vet gave me pills, so that's been fun shoving one down her throat every 12 hours. Luckily, I have been giving pets medication since I was about 12yrs old, so I have about 19yrs of practice lol I learned that if you put a light coating of butter on the pill it helps it go down better. Yay for the internet! She hasn't been as bad to give pills to as my pug was lol

I asked my sister how Rainbow Kitty was during labor, she was VERY needy, follows her everywhere, after she would have a kitten, if my sister got up, she would follow her still.

I don't know if she'll be like that with this litter. I lock up my other cat for a few hours a day so she can come out of my room for a bit, and she follows me around everywhere.

Tomorrow we are going house hunting, and will be gone for a few hours, so hopefully everything will be okay here. I'm actually dreading house hunting, it's been an absolute nightmare. Every house we've loved when we put in an offer, and there was an offer just accepted. Trying to stay optimistic, but I am so burned out looking at houses. Sorry to off topic rant. I know we will find our house eventually, say good bye to living in the trailer park, and no longer live next to a highway lol just so fried with houses.

Anyways, I'm going to try and post some pictures of her today! I've read the tutorial, so I think I'll be able too :)

raynebowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, this morning I checked Rainbow Kitty's lady parts to see if there was any imminent signs that she would give birth soon.
There was something nasty and crispy looking attached to her lady part. I figured it was poo, as she hasn't been best at cleaning herself. Grabbed a paper towel to help her out, and I don't want crusty poo on my bed.

It wasn't poo. It was her mucous plug. She went to the litter box, peed and had gooey grossness hanging from her lady parts afterwards. Which I also grabbed a paper towel for, because I don't want that all over my bed either. It was a light pink color.

Now, I've read some other's post and some had mucous weeks before, days before, or hours before.
I was all excited that she would go today, but now I'm thinking not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's losing her plug, and you're seeing pinkish discharge, she's on her way, but it could still be 2-3 days.

Last edited: