Pregnant cat please help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've done kittens weights again but have done a little early as my partner had been at home today while I've been out all day and just wanted to check there all on track

Kitten 1 was 140g now 145g
Kitten 2 was 150g now 160g
Kitten 3 was 120g now 135g
Kitten 4 was 130g now 140g

X

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any links that would give me info about weaning I know it's still early but like to plan ahead and get all what I need x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it was my smallest and its gained least x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow the kittens are a few hours off of being 1 week old there all doing well and weights are
Kitten 1 was born at 115g now 185g
Kitten 2 was born at 125g now 200g
Kitten 3 was born at 100g now 170g
Kitten 4 was born at 105g now 175 g

I have a question is there any links bout weaning?xx

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello just an update Jessie's kittens are doing so well eyes open and nearly walking over the moon,well until tonight, I was contacted by a lady who's cat gave birth to 5 kittens but didn't or couldn't feed them as didn't have time to hand feed them, so I collected all 5 kittens got milk and bottles and here we go.

I have put 3 kittens in with Jessie after I rubbed them in Jessie's day old bed blanket,and they have had there first feed and a good clean and as I'm typing this all 7 kittens are in with Jessie the other 2 kittens are with a friend with milk and bottles but I'm asking advice to see if there's anything else I can do?and do I risk added the other two kittens?xx

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 That was nice of you to take these 5 kittens.

I think you were right to only put 3 of them with Jessie ( and were smart to rub them with her blanket!)  7 kittens is a lot for one queen to handle.     9 kittens would probably really be too much.  It would definitely be too much without  supplemental feeding of some of the kittens anyway,   and there is also a risk the queen could get malnourished and dehydrated,    plus she may feel just overwhelmed trying to care for so many.  

I think her own are only 2 and a half weeks?   so it will be probably a few weeks before they are weaned .   Once her own kittens are nursing less, you could try putting the other 2 young kittens with her. 

but there are also social considerations, and she may feel overwhelmed trying to supervise so many .    First see how she can handle the 7.    It would be good for the kittens to have a mother cat.  but you  have to balance that with Jessie's needs. 

Right now the main thing is going to be making sure she is getting enough calories, enough protein and calcium , and enough fluids.     You might want to see if she would want some kitten formula mixed with wet cat food. 

Also her nipples might get sore.  you can put on some Vitamin A oil .  or some olive oil.  or there is a product for cows called Bag Balm.     

I'm sorry nobody answered you about weaning.    usually I would not really try starting it until 4 weeks but it may happen naturally before then if you are feeding her  with them there,  some kittens as young as 3 weeks might start to lick her food if you are feeding her wet cat food.       but they may not really get into it until 5 or 6 weeks,  and some are slower to start eating food.     Usually it is something that will happen naturally,   the mom stops allowing them to nurse as often and the kittens start getting interested in eating food.  and then gradually eat more and nurse less. 

These links include some info on weaning

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-essentials-of-kitten-nutrition

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/cat-care/bringing-litter-kittens-–-health-considerations

Make sure your friend who is caring for the other 2 kittens knows about hand-rearing -- how to feed them , like the correct position, how often,  how much, burping them,  and also stimulating them to pee and poop,  keeping them warm ,  being very careful about washing hands before handling them etc.

Here are some good links.  

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/cat-care/hand-rearing-kittens

Good luck with all the kittens!