Pregnant cat please help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's walking around tonight and making loads of nosies could this be it ?x
So your instincts were right, she was beginning the labor works.

It is not easy to tell as forumists, they do often have some precontractions.  But here we do have the answer!   :)

How much do they weigh??

Congrats and good luck!

To your question if there may be more:  If her tummy feels empty, she should be done.

If you feel something, it may be one more OR just some swellings.

The trick is to observe:  if she is contend, calm, seemingly no problems, you can await, but keeping watch.

If she is in distress of any sort, you contact your vet, and are ready to rush in if necessary.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ya I'm collecting scales tonight to do there weight she seems happy enought to be Honest she is away in a quite room to chill for a little while though I do keep checking on her, it was my gut feeling really that have it away x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also is there some where on here which says what weights they should be xx

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also is there some where on here which says what weights they should be xx
The weights as such are individual and depends on many different factors. Birth weigh everything between 75-120 g  is common, if less you should do some extra work to save the kitten, if more it is difficult for mom to deliver...

What is most important, is the changes or lack of them.  They should gain more or less every day.  The rule of thumb is 10+ gram every day.   The first day it may be less...  Very small kittens may gain less as they  are smaller...  Weak gain, or loss, you watch double close. Weak gain two days running and you sound alarm bells, perhaps for extra feeding with a bottle.

Good luck!

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just done kittens weights but noticed a few fleas,what can I do now untill vets open x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens weights 115g, 125 g, 100g, 105g

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've just done kittens weights but noticed a few fleas,what can I do now untill vets open x
See?  Already a plus from taking daily weighting. At the same time you have a natural occasion to a quick look see. and notice if something is wrong.

A few isnt so dangerous, if you are going to get help say next day.  (begin with phoning your vet, prob not necessary to bring them in)

You can begin with trying to take them manually.

Change the bed of course, although you are perhaps already changing the bed daily already?

The weights they has are very good.  Continue to monitor changes or lack of changes.

Good luck!

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have some stuff off vet to treat my and kittens,bedding has been changed and have managed to pick a couple off though mum isn't keen on me having them out for so long x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jessie has been sick twice is this something to worry about?x

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jessie is no longer being sick thank goodness
Have done kittens weights again and they are as followed
Kitten 1 was 115 g now 125 g
Kitten 2 was 125 g now 135 g
Kitten 3 was 100g now 105 g
Kitten 4 was 105 g now 115 g

So I think we're on track x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten 3, the smallest here, and also gains least.  No alarm as yet, especielly as he has a decent birth weigh, but you do have here your main suspict to observe extra closely. 

Take also an extra measuring on him after 12 hours.

Look see where you can find kmr or goat milk.  If you decide he should have extra bottle, you know where you can get it in one hour.

Good luck!

Last edited:

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weights again
Kitten 1 115,125 now 130g
Kitten 2 125,135 now 145 g
Kitten 3 100,105 now 110 g
Kitten 4 105,115 now 120 g

These weights are about 12 hours after last lot , the rule is 10g per day which I'm guessing is 24 hours so if I do it again tonight and kitten 3 hasn't uped it's game would you step in?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weights again
Kitten 1 115,125 now 130g
Kitten 2 125,135 now 145 g
Kitten 3 100,105 now 110 g
Kitten 4 105,115 now 120 g

These weights are about 12 hours after last lot , the rule is 10g per day which I'm guessing is 24 hours so if I do it again tonight and kitten 3 hasn't uped it's game would you step in?
Yes," a day" = 24 hours.

Yes, if a kitten has two days running bad gain you want to help it.

You perhaps notice the others are stopping its aceess to teet, so you try to give it teet when siblings are asleep.

Or you notice some other good reason which you can help.

I know some caretakers are reluctant for giving them bottle, because taking bottle is easier then nurse on teets...  So there is some risk the kitten dont want return to the moms teet.

But bad gain two days running is much in such a little, so yes I would recommend you try with something extra. Good kmr or goat milk if you can get it. Raw goat milk even if you can get it.

I suspect here it will be on the verge... just barely 10 g in 24 hours...

Have the gears handy, and you can decide in last moment.  If they dont need, you can use it later, perhaps as extra to the mom.

Goat milk you can drink yourself, it is healthy and nourishing to humans too.  

Good luck!

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've done weights again
I think ketten 3 has had a better day

Kitten 1 115,125,130,140g
Kitten 2 125,135,145,150g
Kitten 3 100,105,110,120g
Kitten 4 105,115,120,130g

Please remember the 3 weight was done 12 hours after 2nd weight and the 4th weight is 24 hours after 2nd weight.

I put kitten 3 on mum while other kittens were sleeping.

Do we think its safe to leave for another day to see if kitten 3 keeps it up I will carry on putting kitten 3 on to mum when ever I get chance x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with you, he put nicely on tx your help,  I think the crisis is over for this moment.

Continue as you do, and wait with the bottle.   -  As said, if you already bought it, you can use the kmr or goat milk in other occasions, so the money arent wasted just because the kittens didnt  used bottle.   :)

Good luck!

katie1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I will carry on as I am for the next day to see how his gets on but I'm ready invade things go down hill again,I hope you don't mind bit I would like to carry on posting weights just puts my mind to test to know that there doing ok and that you agree x