Pregnant Cat Nursing Kittens

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My question is will it change the milk newborns will get if mother is nursing other kittens before giving birth? Long story = I've been living with my adult daughter for the past year and she's gotten herself into a mess starting with 1 cat. Never got around to spaying so . . . I need help with current situation then deal with bigger problem. Mama Cat, #1, had 4 kittens 9 months ago. Didn't get rid of any . . . Mama Cat had 5 kittens 3 - 4 wks ago. Daughter, Oreo, is expecting any time. A week ago Oreo (pregnant) climbed into Mama's nest and started taking care of kittens. Mama still is too and accepts Oreo so no problem there. Now Oreo will go grab an exploring kitten and drag them back into nest to keep her company. Hilarious seeing a very prego cat dragging an almost 4wk old kitten. I've been trying to keep kittens from nursing on her but it's a losing battle. This morning, Mama and Oreo were laying nose to tail with all kittens in the middle eating wherever is closest. I'm working on weaning but only a couple are interested so far. I'm just wondering if Oreo will still produce the right milk for her newborns. Thank you. Just found this site and live it. Haven't had a cat in years but I am keeping one of First Batch.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There shouldn’t be any differences in milk. Their bodies know when to make the correct milk and whatnot when they have the kittens, just like our human bodies do.
Just some notes: kittens shouldn’t be weened until they either decide to or mom does or they’re 8 weeks or older. 4 is still too young. I’d give it another month.
Another thing, how is the daughter pregnant? Are they inbreeding? Are you letting them outside unattended?
I’m sure you’re aware by now but you have a serious problem on your hands that needs addressed quickly or you’ll have a lot more cats than you bargained for.
If you get rid of any of the kittens please be sure they go to responsible homes where they will be fixed otherwise you will be contributing to the thousands of cats put to sleep in shelters and killed on the streets daily.
I hate having to be brutal but I’ve seen this type of situation go bad many many times and tbh it disturbs me a lot at this point

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To avoid possible behavioral issues and potential adoption returns from future owners, kittens should be with their mother and siblings until they are at least 12 weeks, or even perfectly 16 weeks. Otherwise they may bite humans‘ hands/legs, play “aggressively” etc.
Just to let you know that spaying even pregnant cat is perfectly safe for her, in case more of young females are already pregnant.
Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above posts.
In practice, some are OK with adopting out 8+ weeks. NOT optimal, but not all have the patience to wait much longer. So better 8 weeks than 6 weeks or less...

The danger of nursing a high preg is it takes a toll on her calcium. So be sure she gets noursing food kitten type, and preferably also some extra calcium.
Exactly what depends on what she eats, but goats milk is always excellent. Full fat unsweetened Youghurt is good, or a little of mild cheese...
There are also commercial products with calcium enrichment, alike burned and crushed bones or fermented calcium...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama Cat was already used to going outside when she came here. We tried keeping First Batch inside for months but it just made everyone miserable. It's a small house and my teenage son lives in the living room with all of the cats. So yes they all go outside. We're pretty certain both of Mama's litters are from the same dad and I'm afraid dad is also dad with daughter but not sure. I know this is a serious problem. In the last year my car broke down, lost my job, and got evicted. I just finished my college degree last month at age 57 so I can make more money but it's slow going when you're starting over from scratch. My daughter is losing her house after a divorce and admitted she is not ready to be a responsible pet owner so we have to find a place for all of these cats. I'm looking at some no-kill shelters in OKCity. I'm going to keep one of First Batch that is extremely close to my son and will get him fixed as soon as we move in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your concern.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which city are you in?

Somebody will help you find a cheap spaying clinic nearby.

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oklahoma City Oklahoma. Any help with spaying or fostering in this area would be so welcome.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oklahoma City Oklahoma. Any help with spaying or fostering in this area would be so welcome.
This is what I found online, you can contact them and ask:
Spaying and Neutering | City of OKC
http://www.petangelsrescue.org/spay-neuter/
Low-Cost Spay & Neuter Clinic in OKC | Central Oklahoma Humane Society

It seems there is a free spay/neutering program for OKC residents, I would use it and spay/neuter all of your cats and kittens as soon as they are big enough (around 2 months old)

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for giving me a push start. 3 of the 9-month-olds are going in next week. Mama will go next when kittens are 6 wks. Now, do the kittens need to be weened before she gets surgery?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for giving me a push start. 3 of the 9-month-olds are going in next week. Mama will go next when kittens are 6 wks. Now, do the kittens need to be weened before she gets surgery?
well, they should be weaned before her spaying, as you never know if she allows them to eat after the surgery. So I'd actually move it till the little ones are 8 weeks. Unless she goes outside and there's a risk of her getting pregnant again? If the kittens weight enough, they can go all together with their mom for the procedure.
I'm so glad that you managed to arrange that! Well done!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 weeks should be fine, if that's when you can get the appointment. Mom should continue to let them nurse after her spay, and they should be eating some solids by then. You might want to get some formula to offer in a dish if they're not taking to food a week or so before the spay.

Are the 3 9-month-olds male or female?

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 males and 1 female. Just noticed she's getting a big stomach but she's going in Wed. The other 9-month cat is giving birth now, sorta. She had one about 8 hours ago but no more yet. I read some forums in here. She seems to be doing fine. She's not stressed and nursing and cleaning baby. She came out to eat and Mama Cat went and started nursing baby. I got all the kittens sorted out to correct moms. I have checked her. No blood or bulging body parts sticking out and i can feel at least one more moving inside. Right now I'm just keeping an eye on them but she's calm and purring.

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The pic is Oreo with the dark kitty and her mom Mama Kitty is laying beside her.

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Oreo, sleeping, with the dark kitten. The foreground is Mama Cat laying beside them.

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190411_232055.jpg

Mama Cat went outside so her kittens want to.curl up with sis. The dark one in the middle is new baby.

Pink Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190411_233643-1.jpg

Mort from Mama's first litter. He's a lover boy.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a lovely boy. When I first read his name I was shocked because I didn't realize it was a name. "Mort' in French has a sad meaning.

I will have to reread your posts to identify each member of the two families. :)

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to keep both of the moms inside? It’s such a risk, both in terms of them bringing something parasites or disease back in to the babies, and additional pregnancy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think it is expensive to spay and neuter, try to feed dozens of cats which is what you'll end up with. i think it is so sad when people decide "they are not responsible enough to have pets", does anyone think these poor animals won't be traumatized by what is coming? I truly hope she doesn't have kids for a long time, it breaks my heart to think of these poor little ones so scared. I would make sure your daughter has some part in finding these little ones new homes so she grows up a little. I truly don't mean to sound so harsh, but i pick up the dead ones that people dump around my house on the street, have two more that just showed up starving and so scared, and it really gets to me that people let it 'get out of hand' because they are so immature. Thank God for people like you, I commend you for trying to help. I'll pray for you and all those innocents, my heart goes out to you,