Pregnant Cat Nesting Question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I do too, I am ready for the kittens and do want her to feel better. 

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need advice. My cat is pregnant, close to her due date and acting like she is in heat. 

I don't know what to do. She tried to get outside, so I have her locked in my bedroom with food and water and litter box.

Is this normal for a pregnant cat to do that? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is likely going into labor, which can resemble heat in that she is meowing and restless and acting strange. Watch her and keep her in, and provide a nesting box. She will likely have kittens tonight or tomorrow!

Let us know, and ask questions as you need to. Good luck ! :)

J jmk49a87

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I hope that's what it is! I am ready for the kittens to be born
 She was rolling all over and lifting her rump in the air the way they do when they are in heat. She wasn't overly vocal. After an hour of acting that way, she stopped. My other cat is still being very attentive and sitting near where ever she is. When she was acting as though she was in heat, he ran up to her all concerned and started to bathe her head and she literally swatted at him and tried to bite him. 

Now she is back in one of the nesting areas she has chose. She has been in there for a few hours resting. As of now, there are no real signs of labor that I can see. I will do that and keep a close eye on her. I hope this is the start of labor for her. I think Indy is as ready as I am for the kittens to arrive. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Geez ... This just goes on and on, doesn't it?

She WILL have those babies eventually though. Just do not let her out. I have not seen a pregnant cat act as though she is in heat either, as Red Top said. It's strange. Hang in there! :)

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol yes it does! Plus she only acted like she was in heat for about an hour and a half total. 

I know she will and I have to be patient. I called the ER vets here and spoke with a technician to told me that it is normal for that to happen. It has to do with the wild hormones of late pregnancy. Like you mentioned, it can be indicative that labor will set in within 24 hours or so. She said in about 75% of the times she has heard of a cat do that, labor started within 24 hours. 

She definitely will be staying inside. My cats are inside cats. I adopted her as a young adult a year ago. I was told she had been spayed. My vet did her shots, but I never set up a spay because I had been told she was spayed. She never went into heat at all, there was no indication she had not been spayed until the end of April when she went into heat. 

My other cat is younger than she is. His neuter was already set up for mid-May at our local spay/neuter clinic and he was neutered in mid-May. She will be spayed after the kittens are weaned. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So ... drum roll .. let the labor begin soon!

It will work out! Sorry you have to go through so much to get there!

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indy Update:

I took Indy to see the vet today. My regular vet is on vacation and her relief vet saw Indy. It was very obvious to me that Indy wasn't feeling good at all. The vet could not find the kittens, but could feel that Indy's bladder is inflamed. They ran tests and determined Indy has a bad bladder infection, which is why she was acting like she was in heat and in pain. There was no sign of a bladder infection last Monday when I took Indy in to be checked. 

I asked her where are the kittens? My vet felt them a week ago. She said it is possible they are located in the area of the uterus that is behind the bladder. She said cats are very good at "hiding" their pregnancy - especially with an inflamed bladder.  Her mammary glands are very swollen, very pink erect nipples,  but her milk hasn't come in. 

This vet thinks Indy may actually not be due for 3 or 4 weeks. They put her on what they consider to be a safe antibiotic for pregnant cats. I feel a bit confused. Last week my regular vet told me to expect the kittens within 2 weeks, today her relief vet tells me she might not be due for 3 or 4 weeks. I guess it is just wait and see at this point.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's interesting!

The only way to know for sure would be an X-ray. But waiting is cheaper.

So glad you took her in and she's getting treatment. She must have been in pain. That really does explain her strange behavior. You were very wise to take her in.

Well, we will just climb back on the waiting wagon then! :)

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes lol climbing back onto the waiting train :) 

I wondered about an x-ray too, but the relief vet said no. I am guessing it might have been because Indy was very stressed out over the tests they had to do. 

If the kittens don't make an appearance by the time my regular vet is back from vacation, I will call and ask him about doing an x-ray. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had an x-ray done on my cat. Vet said 4 kittens and 7 to 10 days. She had 4 kittens 12 days later. It was a relief to know. He could tell by the x-ray how developed the kittens were. And one thing you don't want is premature kittens, because they are either stillborn or die shortly after birth. Much better for a cat to carry a little longer.

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is why I asked the vet today about an x-ray. I would rather know as well. I don't know why she said no to that. When my regular vet returns from vacation I am going to call him and ask again about it. 

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called today and found out he is actually on medical leave. When the receptionist said he was off this week, I assumed it was vacation. Turns out he had an emergency appendectomy and won't be back for a few weeks. 

I talked to the relief vet again and she said she really does not like to do x-rays with a pregnant animal unless it is necessary. Although they are deemed safe, it is still radiation exposure. She also said something about if Indy isn't that far along that the kitten bones would not be calcified enough to see them on an x-ray. 

I am not familiar with that and have never heard of that before. I guess my best bet is to wait and if Indy hasn't had her kittens within the time my vet comes back, then take her back in to my vet. I still can't get over that she couldn't find the kittens. lol I can see Indy's fur rippling in that area from time to time and I think it is the kittens moving.

Indy is much, much better today! Still nesting and eating what seems to be three times as much. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are just beginning to see the kitten move it could be another 2-3 weeks before she delivers.

How is she doing otherwise?  Is the antibiotic working?  It would be better all around I think if the kittens really are due in a couple weeks so she has time to recover.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not knowing how far along Indy is, the substitute vet is erring on the side of caution, as x-rays are not recommended in early pregnancy.

The rippling is kitten movement. Indy is pretty far along.

jmk49a87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would rather she do err on the side of caution to ensure the kittens are born healthy. So that is a very good thing. 

Handsome Kitty, Indy is doing great today! The antibiotic is working and you can really tell she feels so much better!! I have noticed that as her pregnancy progresses she isn't getting up on high places anymore. I tried to get a picture of her to post in here, but so far she is not in a picture mood today. lol Will try that again tomorrow. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is doing so much better.  Yes I love cat pictures.  Please post if she is willing to pose.