pregnant cat discharge for at least a week, please help!

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, been reading through so many posts here trying to find some peace of mind and decided to finally make a post of my own as i can’t afford to be doing constant vet visits at the moment. my partner and i took in a pregnant stray a week ago. she was already pregnant, very sweet and we didn’t want her to be starved outside in the hot sun so we took her in with special permission from our apartment complex. we got her to a vet and xrayed but all we were told was she has five kittens and as long as she’s eating and drinking it’s fine…

but i can’t help but be worried about the amount of discharge. we don’t know how pregnant she is or when she’s due but she’s been having discharge since we got her, a pinkish brown color sometimes with very small spots of blood, which is what scares me. just now it was much more watery than before, i just want to know if it’s normal or an emerg ncy!

attached are photos of todays discharge, her backside which it seems like she can’t clean very well the poor thing (and she won’t let us just yet lol), and her x-rays for reference. any advice is welcome! and yes we do want to get her spayed as soon as possible for her and we plan to keep one kitten and give away the rest to family or those who helped us take her in

thanks in advance and sorry this is a lot im just so scared and want to do the best thing for her…

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet should have been able to give you an estimated gestational age of the kittens from looking at the x-rays.

Pre-labor discharge is usually pinkish brown, but does not normally include bright red blood, nor should there be big drops like your picture shows. It also does not go on for a week, so I think something is not right. She may be miscarrying a kitten, or one may be deceased inside her. I do think you should get her seen by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet should have been able to give you an estimated gestational age of the kittens from looking at the x-rays.

Pre-labor discharge is usually pinkish brown, but does not normally include bright red blood, nor should there be big drops like your picture shows. It also does not go on for a week, so I think something is not right. She may be miscarrying a kitten, or one may be deceased inside her. I do think you should get her seen by a vet.
okay, thank you so much… i might see a different one as i asked and all he said was “at least 45 days.” which didn’t give me much to work with. she’s been eating and drinking but i knew there was a good reason i hadn’t been able to shake the worry. thank you again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do keep us posted, and seeing a different vet is a good idea.

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do keep us posted, and seeing a different vet is a good idea.
we just went to a 24/7 animal hospital - no fetal heartbeats on the ultrasound, they’re going to remove them tonight + have her spayed at the same time if we can afford it. thank you for the advice, we were able to get her in before anything got too bad i believe. no kittens but she’ll be alright and that’s what matters

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you had her seen. i’m so sorry the kittens are deceased, but she will be so much healthier after spaying. She is so fortunate that you took her in. Please let us know how she is after her surgery! I hope all goes well!

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad you had her seen. i’m so sorry the kittens are deceased, but she will be so much healthier after spaying. She is so fortunate that you took her in. Please let us know how she is after her surgery! I hope all goes well!
will update tomorrow when we pick her up and thank you! we both just fell in love with her

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the kittens. I am glad you got momma cat to the vet when you did. Again I'm so sorry for the loss of the babies. No matter a stray or one of your own its always a sad thing to deal with..

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pregnantcatdad pregnantcatdad how is momma doing/feeling? I hope she got **Home** with you and settled in I am ecstatic that you are providing her with her forever home. When I read that my heart turned into a pile of mush lol

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
pregnantcatdad pregnantcatdad how is momma doing/feeling? I hope she got **Home** with you and settled in I am ecstatic that you are providing her with her forever home. When I read that my heart turned into a pile of mush lol
she’s on all kinds of antibiotics and pain meds and she really really doesn’t like the cone but other than that she’s doing great. i thought for sure she’d hate me after i had to force her meds on her but then she came up to me and rubbed on me :’)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she’s on all kinds of antibiotics and pain meds and she really really doesn’t like the cone but other than that she’s doing great. i thought for sure she’d hate me after i had to force her meds on her but then she came up to me and rubbed on me :’)
Omgoodness I'm so happy things worked out for her and you.
Little lady just needs her meds, rest, and her new hooman. Everything is going to be great for her.
I know you mentioned getting her spayed if you could was that able to happen too?

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omgoodness I'm so happy things worked out for her and you.
Little lady just needs her meds, rest, and her new hooman. Everything is going to be great for her.
I know you mentioned getting her spayed if you could was that able to happen too?
yeah, while they were in there they did a full spay too. expensive but definitely worth it for such a sweet girl!!!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, while they were in there they did a full spay too. expensive but definitely worth it for such a sweet girl!!!
That is good at least she won't have to have another surgery later for a spay... I am so glad she found you guys when she did. And you guys are her angels. Thank you for doing everything in your power trying to make sure everything turned out ok. Seriously this site and the people here really give me hope for humanity these days..

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So does momma have a name yet or are you going to give it a little time to get to know her personality and what name would fit her?

pregnantcatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So does momma have a name yet or are you going to give it a little time to get to know her personality and what name would fit her?
our neighbors had actually already named her and as soon as we knew we were taking her we got her a collar and engraved tag. her name is angel <3