Pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That vet usually has a 2 week wait so I'm finding myself lucky for the 4 days
+I told him about my finances issue and he said that since if it's pyo she'll need operation and if it's pregnancy I'll still need another appointment he put that checkup at 73$ including taxes instead of his usual 100 before taxes and he said he'll see for the prices of those after the checkup.
so I'm just hoping everything goes okay for the next 4 days

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yellowish/orange vaginal discharge is unusual. It does sound like some type of infection. Can the vet go ahead and prescribe antibiotics that you could pick up now and start her on? Regardless of the cause, the antibiotic will help, not hurt.

Does she seem to be in pain?

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn't seem to be in pain, she usually meows at me in a high pitched tone when she wants my attention and now it sounds a bit more like when she was in heat but not exactly and it's not frequent so idk I've never heard that sound from her, and when she's in pain she usually stops eating and hides under my bed, and she's ate a full can of Purina friskies in one sitting when it usually lasts her the whole day and I'd dare say she's more affectionate

I'm really at loss at what this could even be
I've read pyo is more whitish green
And early labour would be more clear blood
So this yellow while not in pain eating more than usual is just confusing me more, nothing much I can do before monday though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Next time you see the discharge can you wipe it with a tissue and post a picture of it?

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's quite hard to do she hates when I even try to look there I usually see a flash of it before getting a ratchet and she doesn't let me touch her for a week afterwards, but I'll try

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before she scratches me* sorry autocorrect changed that to ratchet somehow

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyometra discharge can be any color. Pyometra can be life threatening so I would try to get her to a vet as soon as possible.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vaginal infections can happen during pregnancy? Do they threaten kittens? Does the medication hurt kittens?

lutece lutece I know, I have an appointment on Monday at the vets nothing more I can do unless I put in 300 for emergency + price of the meds and stuff after so I'm not rushing to panic she still looks fine, happy, eating, she isn't depressed, she's eating fine, hydrating fine, and doesn't seem in pain

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't manage to get a good picture of it but you can see the color this one is more yellowish that this morning's

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m thinking it’s bacterial vaginitis. She’ll need antibiotics.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If shes pregnant can that harm the kittens? Are those dangerous?
Also by getting her checked for that ill get the vet to palpate to tell me if she is or isint preggo so that the anxiety for that clears up as well so im just hoping for everything to be fine till monday

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Antibiotics will not hurt the kittens. Your cat can wait until Monday unless she becomes feverish, crying in pain, won’t eat, etc.

And again, that’s what I think she has. In general, yellow vaginal discharge indicates bacterial infection. Only a vet can actually diagnose her.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(PS. I'm francophone so some of my terms might not be 100% accurate translations)
The vet said that my cat had highly possibly been pregnant but has probably lost them which explains the symptoms. She said that it had possibly been either a a urinary infection or a vaginal infection or an open pyo and that the only way to be 100% sure was a culture thing that would of cost me an arm and a kidney, she said that the medicational treatment was the same for all three so she'd give me those, and if it was an open pyo it would come back if I didn't get her spayed. She told me she prefered my cat take the medication for those two weeks and then we could see when to get her spayed and different options since it's too costly from that vet in my opinion if I don't wait for my vet friend. So at least all of thats solved, the spaying should be in August since my friend wont have a choice to talk to me then since that's when I'll be using my car so she won't be able to use it more if she isn't talking to me. I'll probs be taking my key back from her if she refuses to help my cat/spay her in August, and that would make her lose her job since she wouldn't be able to get to work and I wouldn't be bringing her like before if I'm not getting that vet help in return

So case solved, was a fun trip I hope I never have to veli through a pregnancy/infection stuff again on this level, so yeah thanks for all or your help

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The treatment for pyometra isn't the same as the treatment for a vaginal or urinary infection. Did the vet do an ultrasound? An ultrasound can determine whether your cat has pus in her uterus. Pyometra is best treated with a spay surgery plus antibiotics. If the owner wants to preserve the cat's reproductive potential and the cervix is open, pyometra can be treated with a combination of antibiotics and prostaglandins that cause the uterus to contract and expel the pus. The prostaglandin therapy is highly unpleasant for the cat (I have done this before and it made me feel very guilty to put my cat through this)... and as the vet said, the cat is likely to get pyometra again in a future heat cycle, so it's really better to go ahead with the spay.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look, I just said what the vet said, the vet told me to give meds twice a day for two weeks and if problem comes back to go back, period, I don't argue vets, I got no clue what's best and just do as they tell me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s good you took her to the vet. Some vets do give antibiotics for two weeks before spay surgery, even if it’s pyometra. It makes surgery easier to clear up infection first. If it’s pyometra though, it will come back, so she needs a spay either way. Keep her 100% inside until she’s spayed and hang in there.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She never goes outside she's utterly terrified of outside. I open the door to leave and she runs under my bed, and when I come back it always takes a half hour before she comes out. As I said I got her from an abusive family so.. she's got problems..

The medication is Clavaseptin 50mg
Which contains amoxicillin 40mg and 10mg of clavulanic (that's what's written on the pack)