Pregnancy?

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(I apologise for the length this will be) I got a cat because she was being mistreated in her last family. I wanted to get her spayed but each time I get near the transport cage she scratches and bites and meow to death and then wouldn't get near me for a long time, so I wanted her to stop being so scared before I got her to the vets (I'm good friends with a vet and she agreed it was a good idea at the time) to get spayed. I got her vaccinated and the anti parisitairies have been given and all since my friend could come to my place. I am currently in a bad fight with that friend so she won't answer my calls even if it's concerning my cat and I wanted opinions on here before I paid a different vet for a visit. (Her spaying was supposed to be during July but my friend canceled that appointment with her so now I'm looking for a new vet to get it scheduled in probably still July if she isn't pregnant{if she is I refuse abortion I wouldn't be able to do that [I know there are too much cats that's why I adopt normally]}) So here's the story.

I went to Mexico in May and got my cat babysat since I was leaving for two weeks. My friends couldn't take her in so I went with a recommended person who garented me that her 2 male Cats were fixed.

My problem is that is the only time she could of gotten in contact with any other cats and I think she's pregnant. Im pretty sure she's Picken up weight (usually 2-2.1 kilos{she's a Calico tabby} and right now she's at 2.4 kilos) she wants me to pet her all the time, is losing her Fur much more than before, eating more, which according to what I've found, is pregnancy symptoms, in addition she hasn't been in heat since then (since 24th of may that is) and I think her nipples have 'pinked up' (see joint pic)I am not sure as I've never acctually looked at cat nipples pregnant or not. However, she used to not care about her scratch post nor scratch anywhere and now she's just constantly scratching her ears and the scratch post and myself, which indicates anxiety I think. Could pregnancy cause that too? Could it been something else? Are there reasons I've listed above that are worrysome enough to require a vet? If she does have a litter don't worry she will be spayed as soon as it's safe to do so, whether she's terrified or not.

But then again both male cats she had access to are supposed to be fixed. So she shouldn't be but those looklike pregnancy symptoms to. What do you think? And you don't need to tell me I'm irresponsible or my friend is immature or I should of done it before or beg me to abort or whatever that's all useless I already know, thank you for your time and consideration.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Take a look at these;

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

You, Your Cat And Stress

If she overgrooms and scratches to the point of bare irritated skin, try this, from @Mamanyt1953
You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, not the English variety that is common in gardens which is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge and apply with a clean cotton ball or similar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom
Thank you for the links. I had gone through them before hand and read a lot on this site. I've always had a strong anxiety problem and it's been raised lately because I think she may be pregnant. I am trying to get opinions on that because if I can be sure she is pregnant and not I'll, I will be less worried about her. I've always been a worrywart and I think her anxiety comes from my intensifying anxiety. Both those links tend to make me think I am right with my assumption of her being pregnant and my assumption of my anxiety stressing her. But since I am very involved I wanted an exterior view, without paying the average of 100$ for a 15 minute consultation with the vets in my town. Which with all the breeders here I thought might be able to answer that question of 'does she seem pregnant or not' thank you once again for your time, I will definitely try the tea for myself and herself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:thumbsup: hang in there, hopefully an expert has a chance to see your post and reply soon :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, by the way, also try some music for her. Low volume classical harp music is known to help cats to relax.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't accurately tell from a nipple picture whether a cat is pregnant. Although pink nipples can be a sign of pregnancy, some cats don't "pink up" very much, and other cats "pink up" even when they are not pregnant.

However, my best guess in this situation would be that she is not likely to be pregnant, since it sounds like her last heat cycle was 5 weeks ago and her nipples are really not very pink, and it sounds like she was only around neutered males (she was not let outside, is that correct)? She may be experiencing a false pregnancy (hormonal pregnancy) if she had enough contact with the males during her heat cycle that she spontaneously ovulated. False pregnancies can appear similar to real pregnancies.

I would suggest that you go ahead and schedule her spay appointment for a week or so after her estimated "due date," and then you can reschedule it for 8 weeks later if she indeed turns out to be pregnant and has kittens. If she appears to need vet attention sooner, you can have her seen sooner.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the catsitter whined that my cat meowed from the 18th to the 24rth non stop and then said it suddenly stopped for no apparent reason. Her Fur was less soft than usual when I got her back and her fear of the outside more apparent, my guess was that the catsitter put her outside because they couldn't handle her meowing, and that's when she would of gotten the male attention which lead to her not meowing anymore. But that still gives me a span of from the 18th of may to the 1rst of june when I got her back. And with the cat pregnancies being from 53 to 72 days her due date could be like anywhere from the 19th of july to the 12th of August, she could be 4 weeks along or 6 weeks along I can't be really certain of it all and I remember not feeling her nipples at all before like 2 weeks ago.
And indeed she could have that false pregnancy. The problem is that the vet I could go too charges 100 for the pre examination and then 150 for the spaying itself (so 250 in vet fees if no complications) while my friend charges me only 50$ for the resources needed, I was hoping to slowly ease the fight to still get the spaying done to that price, though I still need to know if she's pregnant or not to know if I have 4 months to ease that fight or if I want her spayed at max August when I get back to school and won't have time for any of that vet stuff.
And getting an appointment now to know if she's pregnant paying 100 for that to just know something I'd know for sure within the next month's doesn't seem worth it to me

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How about an x-ray at the vet? That would answer the question. If she’s not pregnant, go ahead with the spay.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are still having trouble getting her in the carrier use a large bath towel, throw it over her and scoop it around her - you must be quick, then shove the towel wrapped cat into the carrier. If you are afraid she'll be too hot but a frozen plastic bowl of ice in the carrier before you put her inside.

Practice a few times with a pillow or a purse before you try with her. It's best if you don't hesitate once you begin. Remember you are doing this for her.

Use a small plastic container like you get crumbled cheese in freeze the water in it and put it in a sandwich baggie.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, so sorry for your worries.....

try not to worry too much, til you get her to the vet. i would take her now for a check up.

my cat's nipples got pink at 2 weeks.

and i wasnt sure, so the vet helped...

with an xray

and it will help you know what your next plan of action may be,

and whether pregnant or not???

, it will ease your anxiety and worries a bit, to find out

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason why I don't take her to the vet now is because the fight with my vet friend, the only other option in this mini town is 100 for the appointment (no free appointment times before beginning of August) and then another 70 just for a stupid x-ray, 40 for the ultrasound, I find it ridiculous, specially since my friend charges me 50 for the time and the x-ray. And if I go to the next town it'll come up to about the same because of transportation fees (only option here is taxi for that it's so expensive) which is why I'm waiting for the fight to end with my friend which should be rather soon but if she's pregnant I need to prepare and all and it's my first pregnancy/litter so I'm not sure for exactly what I should be looking for and as much as I read I can't get the answers and I don't really want to spend 170 if she isn't pregnant and it's nothing, and if she is pregnant I'd rather spend the money of the top quality food and the vet for after she gives birth
Which is why I was asking with the symptoms I see if I could be somewhat certain she was(n't) pregnant, without going to that vet

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think those vet fees are perfectly reasonable. It costs much more for an x-ray or ultrasound in my area. An ultrasound is what I would recommend if you are not sure of the mating date, because ultrasound gives you good information at any stage of pregnancy after 3 weeks gestation. Ultrasound would be able to give you a definite pregnancy diagnosis one way or the other. An x-ray would only show the kittens if their skeletons have calcified, which happens late in pregnancy.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe in your area but if I compare that vets 170 for my friends 50 I'd much prefer my friend, so I'd wait before going to the vets as I was saying
I just wanted a yes/no to whether this appeared as pregnancy from your point of view since I'm too involved + paranoid all the time + worry about anything

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should assume she is pregnant (and it sounds like she may be) and make sure she gets good nutrition. If her last heat was May 24, she would have at least another 3 weeks to go, so you have plenty of time to read up and get prepared.

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Sarthur im currently giving her (see pics)this dry food (illimited amount, Im using a massive labrador bowl that I usually always keep filled for her + 1 one those cans every three days, is it enough? Should I go with something else? Any recommendations to check for on the food?
I've read loads but I never know if what I'm reading is correct, they say not to touch her belly too much but she keeps getting on me laying on her back and meowing if I don't give her belly rubs (I'm gentle with it)
Same with picking her up
This is my first cat pregnancy ever so even with Wikipedia's and videos and blogs vlogs forums I'm not sure

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah, assume she's pregnant.

i gave my pregnant cat, kitten food.
but i don't know if that's what is recommended. i was ignorant with pregnant cats,

and just did it,.lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Purina and Friskies are fine. She should get a can or two of wet food daily while pregnant and nursing. :)

Last edited:

Pinottes123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok well you guys will be happy to know that I've booked an appointment at the vet since I deemed this urgent, she had yellow/orange discharge from her vagina twice this morning I'm worrying if it's pyo instead of pregnancy and if it is pregnancy if ones dead so I'll post more as I know more (appointment is this Monday 8th at 1h30pm)

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, if it's this serious, the 8th may be too late.
sending prayers for you and your baby!
i pray a goes well ❤