Preemie Babies

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all I got my first set of bottle babies yesterday evening. They were found at a construction site. They still have their umbilical cords and thought to be born the day before.

After being fed and stimulated I weighed them and they were 75 grams at 6:30. I knew they were tiny but they have all their hair and are very active and moves around good. After research I discovered they are premises by weight. Of course I'm freaking out. But they seem to be doing well in the last 9 hours that I've had them. They are taking about 2 MLs every feeding and peeing and pooping too.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy both are up. One has gained 4 grams the other 5. One actually latched on to the syringe and I didn't have to do anything but hold it it sucked it down so fast.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there! :wave3:

They are so precious, and look itty bitty!

They are premature by birth weight, as under 90 grams is considered. This is usually the result of poor maternal nutrition during the pregnancy, an issue with strays, unfortunately.

It sounds like they are eating well. Are you feeding every 2 hours?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I am. They are starting to get enough suction on syringe that I don't have to push it.

They also developed the soft yellowish orange poop. When should I worry?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, the orange-yellow is not good. Yellow indicates coccidia; while orange is too much bile in the liver.

Not much you can do for orange, but Albon would help with yellow.

Do you have Albon on hand?

The fact they are eating so well is excellent!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they get their colostrum? If in doubt, get some ASAP. Regarding Coccidia or Giardia. I only say this because I just barely got over this with my rescues. But, does is the yellow poop mucusy and does it have an awful, nose violating smell? It probably won't hurt to get some Albon (although I've heard of better results with Ponazuril). Ponazuril kills it, while Albon only restricts the reproductive cycle. Ask a vet about either. If Albon doesn't work, it may be Giardia which is totally different medication. Also, be sure to keep them warm.

They are so precious. I love kittens. Keep us updated.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some Albion on hand. I just don't know how much to give. It does have mucus in it I have to weigh them in an hour and check back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, knowing weights will allow us to figure the dosage for you. Starting the Albon should help.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One kitten weighs 83 grams the other weighs 84. I am happy with the gains they have made in the last 24 hours.

They are now one the bottle and taking to it so much better that the syringe.

I am having a hard time getting them to burp every time. How can I do it without feeling like I'm going to break them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is the best way to burp them.

The dosage of Albon for them right now at their weight is literally 1 DROP apiece from a syringe.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case you didn't realize...Always dump the old milk and clean the bottle. Never re-use or re-heat the old milk. This is bad bacteria for their tummies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
75 grammes isnt that bad. Its small and prob somewhat premature, but not critically so, if they seems OK otherwise.
And what you write, its very promising.
The amount of kmr or goats milk is in the range of 20-25 ml during a full day, it will increase of course as they gets bigger. About 1 ml more on every day!

If you can get raw goats milk, it may even be an edge compared to KMR. This comes from an alive momma no?
Cartooned or powdered goats milk is OK to use, but probably not better than KMR (in powder).
Went outside to take the dogs out and got hit with a flying rock. It was actually more of a pebble, but it felt like a boulder. The winds up here are nothing to laugh at. And since I got back, it's picked up to about 40 mph, so I made it just in time.
Hello all I got my first set of bottle babies yesterday evening. They were found at a construction site. They still have their umbilical cords and thought to be born the day before.

After being fed and stimulated I weighed them and they were 75 grams at 6:30. I knew they were tiny but they have all their hair and are very active and moves around good. After research I discovered they are premises by weight. Of course I'm freaking out. But they seem to be doing well in the last 9 hours that I've had them. They are taking about 2 MLs every feeding and peeing and pooping too.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all i am going to start the Albon asap. One is so raw and sensitive she looks burnt. She is also easily stimulated and will pee and poop just rubbing against bedding. I can get her to pee before feeding and then she will pee again while I'm burping her.

I am totally guessing on sex of kittens right now.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where they have the poo on them they need it off. Can I bath them their cords are still attached.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

You can gently clean them and their bottoms with a warm, damp, soft cloth. Use Desitin or A&D ointment on their bottoms to heal the burn. They have no mom to lick it off and cannot lick it themselves. I would not bathe them right now. They are too small and need to stay warm. Do you have a heat source with them?

Yes, please start the Albon. I did the math, and they get 1.5 drops from a syringe holding 1 mL. So 2 drops apiece at most. Just put it in the side of their mouths like milk. Hopefully this will help until they get bigger.

Can you mix the KMR with clear pedialyte? They need fluids badly to replace what they are losing through the diarrhea.

I'm also hoping they are gaining weight!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will go start Albon in the next feeding. And go out and get more supplies later.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 they are starting to sleep separately. Like a few inches apart isn't that a bad sign.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

Not necessarily. They may be too warm. Do you have a heat source?

How much/how often are they eating?

If you have no diaper rash ointment on hand, you can use petroleum jelly or coconut oil. Do you have any of these?

Get the Albon going asap. Just a quick drop or two in their mouths.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes they have a heating bad in there it's on high with a towel over it. It's on high because it doesn't get that warm.

I'll start Albon now.