practise makes perfect

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a suggestion but next time can we have one tip or picture per thread? I am having trouble weeding through all the different items and seeing the directions sorted for each picture! Just a thought. I decided to tackle Scully first since this is something I had never tried to fix before. I think I did alright! Thanks Rob for the detailed directions. This was a breeze!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a fabulous idea for a thread! Helps the newbies gain more skills and see how you/we do things.
One thing I've learned with Photoshop is that there are always multiple ways to acheive the same desired effect. So even us experienced users will probably pick up a few things.
(Especially those of us who never had the patience for the tutorials or books...)

Originally Posted by Anakat

Thanks, it was better that way but I think I still prefer the ordinary lasso. I suppose it is what you get used to using.
I've found that the Magnetic Lasso works very well when there is high contrast between when you are selecting and the background - like a black cat against a white floor. Not so much when there isn't much contrast, or a portion of low contrast, like a black and white cat against a white floor.

Also, with any of the selection tools, you hold down the Shift to add to it, Alt to subtract what you select from the selection, or Ctrl to cut/move your selection from the background. I use the Add and Subtract a lot, especially when grabbing a large portion - that way the initial selection doesn't have to be perfect.