Pot belly. Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi, my kitten name is jesse, she is 5 months old. she has over last week developed a big pot belly. i took her to a vet, not my normal one as it is a sunday. she mentioned FIP, doing tests etc. i have been crying the whole day, i am frightened it is that as its fatal.her appetite is still very good, doing poos etc. she seems a bit more lethargic but still playful and loving.

please can someone help me with advice, are there other things that cause pot bellies? she was vaccinated 2 weeks ago. i feel so desperate for some hope or someone elses similiar experiances etc
thanks so much
x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other things that can cause pot bellies - Roundworms, food issues, intestinal blockage, tumors.

I hope the vet can figure out what's going on soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you strange wings, appreciate you replying. its the not knowing thats awful.x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. Did they already start doing some test or will you be taking her back sometime this week for more testing? All you can do it get whatever tests done that need to be done and hope it's nothing too serious.

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am taking her tomorrow morning to my vet so that they can start doing tests. i will let you know what happens.x

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please ask them to check for the things Strange wings thought of ... I send it is nothing serious

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And more vibes for you, honey...

I'll be watching this thread tomorrow; let us know how it goes, ok? And keep your hope up - it could be something quite simple. <<<hugs>>>

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you auntie crazy and sharky, i will let you know. going in an hour and i feel nervous, like i want to vomit. xx

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi, i left jesse at the vet for tests to be done. he does not think its FIP but he says its very serious to cause such fluid build up in her tummy and he said he does not hold out much help for her. i feel too terrible for words.but thank you for your help, will post when i know more.xx

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks aunty crazy, still no results. phoned the vet and asked if i could bring her home while we wait for the results but he said no, no idea why he said that. she is , besides belly, healthy, i cant accept that this is fatal whatever it is. wish i could bring her home but maybe he has put her on tablets or something.xx

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All paws crossed for you and Jessie.

I'd like to suggest to you that you write down any questions you have for your vet, so you don't forget any, this will help you keep your thoughts organized. Don't let the vet brush you off, insist on answers that you understand. Of course you want to know why Jessie is being kept, and your vet should explain it to you.

It is terrible when they are sick and you don't know what's wrong.

We are here for you, and please keep us updated.

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you carolinalima and sharkey. spoke to senior vet just before closing and he says no results yet but he is afraid to say but he feels its FIP. i feel so helpless. i lost my 8 month old cat 7 months ago, she was ridden over and with jesse i just loved her constantly and she loved me right back. wish i could help her and make this all go away. anyway, thanks again for the support, this forum has really helped me these past few days.xxxxxx

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you otto, your message came through as i was typing my reply. i will do that right now because i know i just start crying when i see jesse and then i cant think straight and forget to ask the questions i want to ask. i really think the vet thinks i am an emotional wreck!xxx

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<<<<<Hugs>>>>>> and hope to you, Troant. Maybe tomorrow will bring better news. Hang in there, sweetie.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TROANT

thank you otto, your message came through as i was typing my reply. i will do that right now because i know i just start crying when i see jesse and then i cant think straight and forget to ask the questions i want to ask. i really think the vet thinks i am an emotional wreck!xxx
Being an emotional wreck is a normal way to be during something like this, and hopefully your vet has the compassion to understand that. It's very hard to concentrate on important details when you feel this way.

If you can, write as many of the answers down as you can. This will help you process information, plus you have a reference sheet for later.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your recent loss of your beloved kitty. Your heart is already broken, and now you are faced with this. It sounds like you already know what FIP means, it's a devastating thing. There's no test for FIP, so I am praying for Jesse that some other explanation is found for the fluid.

xo

troant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you so much guys for your support. jesse came home today, still no test results so we will wait and see.its great having her home.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.