Post spay stress

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good that Bella seems well appart from the bump - always a good sign!

I'm sure her appointment will go really well
and she'll be back home encouraging Cinders into some other shenanigans!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It wasn't overlicking and it wasn't the staple

Bella had a saroma (caused by being over-active) which has had to be drained. Basically, a gap formed between her skin and the muscle which allowed bloody fluid to gradually seep into this empty space. There was a lot of fluid in the lump - she had 3 syringes full of this stuff drained out of her

The vet has wound a bandage tightly around her stomach area to apply pressure to prevent the gap from opening again and to help the muscle and skin bond together. When we got home, my husband noticed that Bella was leaking into the bandage but we were told to expect a bit more leakage.

She's going back again on Sunday for a check-up. At this stage we're not sure whether her stitches will be removed or not. My poor baby

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww poor baby
But she doesn't have to be put under again does she?.

Thats something similar that happend to me when i had my appendix out!. They did exactly the same thing with a bandage rather than put another stitch in.

How is she in herself?

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, luckily they didn't have to put her under to drain the stuff out. One of the nurses held her up and my husband held her legs and then the vet just used a syringe to drain it out. Bella wasn't happy at all and the nurse got scratched for her efforts
Kirsty the nurse has now been scratched by every cat we have ever owned

She seems to be fine in herself. She was very quiet on the way home and is a bit quiet now. I'll be keeping a very close eye on her tonight and tomorrow. I want to give her a cuddle but I'm a bit scared of picking her up at the moment in case I hurt her unintentionally

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bella. Have never heard of that happening with a female, but I have also never seen them spayed on their stomach either. Fingers crossed she will be fine by Sun.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks
My vets are South African so maybe they were taught a different way to do spays. Everyone I've spoken to have commented on the fact that the op was done on the stomach and not on the side. As long as Bella recovers ok, that's all I really care about.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how we get on on Sunday. Thanks for all your support guys

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just seen this!

I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't just over licking or the staple, but at least she has been seen and will be on the mend now!
I bet she feels fed up of being poked around!

I'm sure that she will heal just fine now that the fluid has been removed!

Sending lots of healing }}}VIBES{{{ to Bella and
to you all!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, both girls had their stitches out this morning so we took their collars off as well
We also removed Bella's much shredded belly band

Bella still has a bump but it isn't as large as it was. We'll monitor it for the next 2 weeks for any signs of change.

The last 10 days have been the longest of my life - thank you everyone for helping to keep me sane

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so pleased that bella and Cinders have had their collars removed - they must be so pleased, as must you be!

I hope Bella's lump continues to decrease in sze and they are both completely healed in no time at all!!

Isn't it amazing how long these times feel like they drag!