Post spay stress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll ask my vet about the incision on the side vs middle of the stomach when I take the girls for their check-up tomorrow. To be honest, I didn't realise until last night that the incision could be made on the side. When my friends came over and saw where the stitches were, they were surprised because they thought spaying was always done on the side...

I have to say, I much prefer the idea of body bandages over e-collars - the girls are used to them now but they have been very different little girls since they got back from the op. They are sleeping a lot and don't really seem inclined to play. I'm not too worried at the moment because I want them to rest as much as possible and therefore hopefully will make a much speedier recovery

Whilst I think I could trust Cindy not to play with her stitches if I were to remove her collar, there is no way I can remove Bella's because she would be at them at the first opportunity

I've also noticed that the girls need some sort of pillow in order to sleep comfortably whilst they have the collars on - I've had their heads in my lap most of today and last night, I had Cindy sleeping with her head on my stomach and Bella with her head on my shoulder

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hadn't realised that they had their surgery on their tummies! From what I have heard, when the surgery is done on the stomach it is regular surgery. Molly had hers on the side through keyhole surgery, so she only had two stitches and a tiny scar!

Good luck with the check up today! I'm sure it'll all go brilliantly and Bella and Cinders will be back to their playful selves in no time!

I bet they'll be so pleased to have their ecollars off too!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

the girls are used to them now but they have been very different little girls since they got back from the op. They are sleeping a lot and don't really seem inclined to play.
Don't worry my two weren't as playful either, but i think that was because the collar was restricting them, but as soon as they had it removed it didn't take them long to run riot again!!!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarah
Cindy has 3 stitches and they look to be healing very well. Bella has 3 stitches and a staple but her scar is a little bit longer - whether this is as a result of her yanking out a stitch as soon as she came round I don't know. It looks like it is healing welll too but not as well as Cindy due to having removed a stitch

I'm hoping that the vet says that they can remove their e-collars after the check-up but I guess that will depend on how well they are healing in his opinion

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Don't worry my two weren't as playful either, but i think that was because the collar was restricting them, but as soon as they had it removed it didn't take them long to run riot again!!!
Yes, I suspect that to be the reason too!
Today, Bella is the quiet and calm one and acting more like how Cindy normally is and Cindy is acting more like how Bella normally is! She's tried removing her collar with all her paws (to no avail), she hasn't stopped talking to me and is following me around! It's quite funny to watch and I have to admit, it's been lovely seeing the change and knowing that Bella is capable of being calm and quiet and Cindy boisterous and noisy

I can't wait til 6pm - that's when they are having their check-up

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophies was only going to have a couple of stitches in, but because they had problems removing her "bits" the had to cut a little further which is why she had 4 stitches.

Don't be upset if they still have to wear their collars tonight though, because they told me to leave Sophies on until she went back to have the stitches removed, which was probably because she pulled one out

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told they had to wear their collars until the stitches were removed and I think this will definitely be the case with Bella!

If they have to wear them for the full 10 days, then so be it. I rather that than have something happen in the interim which causes recovery to take longer. I just noticed that Bella's scar seems to be a bit raised whereas Cindy's is flat. It isn't hot to the touch but I'll ask the vet about it anyway. I might also need to get a new collar for Bella - she's worked out how to lick the scar even with the collar on
Trust me to have a contortionist kitten!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's a little tryer i'll give her that much, and sounds just like Sophie!

I wouldn't worry too much about the raised area, especially if it's not hot to touch. Sophie had a little lump on hers but it went after a few weeks.

Once they've been tonight for their first check up you'll feel a lot better

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet said that they were both healing very nicely
They have to keep their collars on til the stitches are removed on Sunday but that's not a huge deal.

It turns out that they both have "saggy" bits on their scars but as Susan said, they are nothing to worry about. Apparently, once the operation is done, they put in a layer of skin followed by a layer of fat followed by another layer of skin and this is the cause of the bumps.

He said the wounds are pretty much closed up now so even if they managed to get to their stitches, it wouldn't be huge deal now. I am so relieved!

I know I've said this before but I'm going to say it again anyway...

I couldn't have gotten through the past few days without your help and support

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased it went well for you!

At least by leaving the collars on, Bella and Cinders will have some stitches left to be removed on Sunday!
Molly had none left when she went back!

I bet you're all looking forward to Sunday, so you can all get back to normal!

I hope the week goes really quickly for you all!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was playing with Bella yesterday when I noticed that the "bump" seems to have grown larger/more prominent
It's not hot to the touch and the incision is closed and the stitches and staple are all still there. I've checked Cinders and hers hasn't changed.

The bump sticks out sufficiently now that Bella can actually lick it. I'm wondering whether Bella has been able to get to it for a while now (being a contortionist
) and has pulled it which is why it is more prominent or could it be something more sinister?
I'm taking her to the vets tonight just in case but if anyone has any experience or advice about this I would really appreciate it

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be just because Bella pulled out her stitch and they had to put a staple in?!.

Does she seem ok in herself apart from that?, and have you had a word with the vet over the phone?.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she has managed to get to it and has over licked it!

I think it's a good idea that you're seeing your vet! I expect that they will give her an injection of antibiotics to be on the safe side! (Molly had this after removing her stitches)

I hope Bella's incision area recovers quickly!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

It may be just because Bella pulled out her stitch and they had to put a staple in?!.

Does she seem ok in herself apart from that?, and have you had a word with the vet over the phone?.
That's what I am hoping for (or as Sarah said, perhaps she has overlicked). She seems absolutely fine. I spoke to the vet on the phone and he said that it might be a hernia type thing where the fat has started to leak out but when I checked the incision last night, it was clean and there is no sign of leakage

I really hope it is nothing sinister or serious - Bella is going to be very unhappy if she still has to wear her collar and Cinders doesn't!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

It may be that she has managed to get to it and has over licked it!
The little imp can most definitely get to it! I've caught her licking it several times!
What is even worse, she's even got Cinders licking it for her too!!!
My husband has just told me he was woken up in the middle of the night by rolling movement. When he sat up, he saw Bella rolling around on her back (on his legs) as if she was in ecstasy and Cinders licking the bump. He discouraged Cinders from doing it but I'm betting this has been going on whilst we have been at work and asleep!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overlicking could be it as well, i never thought of that?!.

What time is your appointment?, but does she seem ok?.

I hope she doesn't have to wear it longer either, or you'll have one huffed kitten on your hands!

i've just read your new post!.
I can hear her now, right a bit, left a bit, a bit further down

But yes thats another thing thats possible, and seems to be the case as well, because it's like when we have a wound it gets itchy when it's healing!.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pui Hang

The little imp can most definitely get to it! I've caught her licking it several times!
What is even worse, she's even got Cinders licking it for her too!!!
My husband has just told me he was woken up in the middle of the night by rolling movement. When he sat up, he saw Bella rolling around on her back (on his legs) as if she was in ecstasy and Cinders licking the bump. He discouraged Cinders from doing it but I'm betting this has been going on whilst we have been at work and asleep!
I can just picture it!

I'm glad that you've been able to discourage Cinders from helping Bella give her bump a jolly good lick!

It's amazing what they can and will do, isn't it?!! They are certainly determined little things, especially your young Bella!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The appointment has been made for 6.10pm. I can't make it any earlier because I have back to back meetings at work today
Bella seems fine and happy which is the main thing.