Post pictures of your precious Blue / Gray / Maltese cats here!

shurples

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love seeing pictures of collared cats! It looks great! My cats wear collars 24/7. We're in a rural area where we're overrun with strays and only the lucky cats get taken to animal shelters. I microchipped both of my cats, but chipping cats in my area isn't that common, so chances are people would not think to scan for them. A collar is immediate visual proof that they're not strays.
Gorgeous kitty!!!! . I don't let my cats outside. Too dangerous.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous kitty!!!! . I don't let my cats outside. Too dangerous.
Both Loki and Cadbury are indoor cats. But I'd rather them be obviously owned than to take the chance on someone doing the right thing and taking them to scan the microchip, if they were to get out. Both of their tags say "I'm lost, if outside" besides their names and my phone numbers. :-)

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Loki and Cadbury are indoor cats. But I'd rather them be obviously owned than to take the chance on someone doing the right thing and taking them to scan the microchip, if they were to get out. Both of their tags say "I'm lost, if outside" besides their names and my phone numbers. :-)
Yes, that's exactly my thinking. Both of my cats' tags say "Indoor Cat" so that if they are found, people know that they shouldn't be outside. 

One of the largest veterinary hospitals in the area admitted that they don't always scan stray cats, our county Animal Control doesn't even take in cats, and the Humane Society is chronically full so even though they scan all their animals, odds are that someone wanting to bring them a cat wouldn't even get a returned phone call. Given those factors, a combination of collar + microchip is the best bet for where I live. 

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great tag!!!! As microchips get popular people will know to scan. Good thinking
I hope that's true! It would be great if more pets could find their way back home. However, no matter how popular microchips become...it will ALWAYS BE easier to read a tag and call the number than it is to take a pet in to have it scanned. I see our cat's microchips as backup should their collars come off. I'd be devastated to have mine get out and not return, so anything I can do to help that not happen...I will. And my little brats are door darters...or at least try hard to be. :-D

And here is Loki again...since this is the blue cat thread LOL

He gives me such goofy looks when I try to get a picture

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you ever worry the collar would get stuck on something?

SUCH A CUTIE!!!!!!!!!!
They are breakaway collars, so should they get stuck, they would come off (and they have, inside the house) and we would have to rely on the microchip at that point.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Beastie Bands, which is also a safety collar, only it relies on it's stretchiness, so that it can slip over the cat's head if it got stuck on something. As with anything else in life, there is some risk to using a collar, but the risk of my cat getting killed or separated from me due to not having visible identification is much higher than the risk of a safety collar malfunctioning. 

Out of all lost cats, roughly 25% are never found. Out of lost dogs, only around 6% are never found. A big contributor to this is the fact that dogs are more likely to wear collars and be microchipped.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
All of mine wear safety collars. They're not supposed to be able to get out of their enclosure, but last month a tree came down in a storm and broke the enclosure fence. Sophie was gone for a month and I thought she must have died in all that ice and snow. Eventually I got a call from a lady who lives about 3 miles from here. She leaves food out for the feral cats and Sophie had made her way down to this lady's house. If it hadn't been for her collar and tags I would have never found Sophie again.

I've heard good things about Beastie Bands, wish they were available over here.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse is a strictly 'no collar' kitty but thankfully he doesn't like going out...  at least I know I can pick him out from a crowd of blue kitties (from spotting him out of all the RBs at cat shows).   

Mouse looking mouse sized.  
  Mouse looking like he might actually be trim rather than tubby.  
  OK, maybe not that trim, but he is cute and he is more trim than he was 4 months ago.  
   If you look closely at him 'side -on' there is a line where the substance of his body ends and the loose, extra skin he has hangs down.   He's a bit like a flying squirrel except he never learned the flying bit.   

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I don't think we have to look that closely, @MServant!  

My last boy sported one of those extra-skin additions, too.  And my current blue foster boy, Winston, has the beginnings of one.  Maybe we SHOULD teach them to fly.

Mouse is so handsome. SO cuddlesome!

Today is my last day with Winston. He goes for his dental and eye check early tomorrow morning, and then it's off to the shelter for adoption. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
@ MServant and @Checkers: This extra skin is not fat but is called a "Jungle Pouch". Some cats develop it and others don't. It is genetic and cats will bunny kick that in a cat fight which protects it from being disemboweled. Dogs have an extra layer of skin around their necks for the same reason only it's for protection against teeth, not claws like in cats.

So stop trying to get Mouse to lose that pouch with diet, it's not going to work, he will have that extra flap of skin for the rest of his life. Just enjoy it when you give him a belly rub if he lets you.

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@ MServant and @Checkers: This extra skin is not fat but is called a "Jungle Pouch". Some cats develop it and others don't. It is genetic and cats will bunny kick that in a cat fight which protects it from being disemboweled. Dogs have an extra layer of skin around their necks for the same reason only it's for protection against teeth, not claws like in cats.

So stop trying to get Mouse to lose that pouch with diet, it's not going to work, he will have that extra flap of skin for the rest of his life. Just enjoy it when you give him a belly rub if he lets you.
I had never heard of that. So interesting.  Thanks @segelkatt.  

Well, @MServant, maybe Mouse's diet doesn't have to be so strict?  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse says 
@segelkatt.  
  He really was getting overweight towards the end of last year and had lost his lovely little waist line when I looked down on him - but that is all good now.  
   He is much more playful again too, which is also good, I think.... 
   I can see his lovely little cat muscles again under his fur like I could when he was younger, though he isn't as lean as he was.  That is fair enough though, him now being 5 years old.  I do love how that little 'pouch' is so warm and soft when he comes up for a snuggle and rests his belly on my hand.  

Funny how you say the extra skin / pouch is for protection against claws :  Mouse should be good in cat battle then as he seems to have excess skin all the way from his neck to his rear end and always has done since he was a young kitten (even in his baby pic's of 3 weeks of age he had a sort of dome of skin and fur down his chest 
 ).  As he only ever had his fur mom to wrestle with it's never been put to the test but I'm happy to keep it that way.  Another cat hissed at him once when we were at a cat show (I was holding him outside his pen and chatting to another person who was holding their cat).  He looked at that little cat like it was an alien and obviously had no idea what hissing was about.  
   He is such a sweetie.  

@Checkers    I might hold off trying to teach Mouse to fly as he still hasn't mastered basic cat righting reflexes yet and tends to stick to the 'verticle drop' technique he's had since he was a kit'.  It isn't very graceful, and can be rather worrying when he does it from significant heights like the top of his cat tree or a door....  
   Now if only he would spread those limbs out and use that excess skin to parachute down.    I'm sad to hear you are loosing Winston to a new home, but it has been lovely to see him here.  I hope the shelter find him a lovely, caring home to take over.  

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That would explain my Toby's giant flabby swishing pouch, lol. I kind of figured it was a result of being fixed but your description makes more sense.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You can google  this, even wikipedia has an article on "Jungle Pouch on Cats".  
That is really interesting and makes a lot of sense. I always thought that it was due to neutering as well. Henry has a small one. He is long and lean so it looks somewhat out of place on him but it is adorable just like the rest of him.