Post pictures of your precious Blue / Gray / Maltese cats here!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

thanks! hey, is it normal for RB/hybrids/etc not to shed? i finally got her a brush, and she didn't leave a hair on it...
I don't know about normal but it sure is lucky.  

My previous cats shed so much they should have been bald but Mouse is the oposite and keeps his fur to himself:  it is so lovely to hug a cat and not get covered in fur, burrow in to thick fur and not end up with a nose and mouth full, and not have a home which needs vacuuming several times a week to avoid being overcome by dander and fur.  Beware though - it might just be the time of year and when spring really hits all that fur might come out in one major seasonal dump.  
     I just stroke Mouse's fur and never brush it as that thins the fur out which for pedigree RB cats isn't a good thing.

@segelkatt   Sascha has never been 'just' anything, he may have found you at a cat shelter but you couldn't have been found by a more handsome guy.  He always looks stunning in your photographs and his character shines through both in your photographs and your posts.  I swear there are cats here in this thread who don't have any pedigree history but they look (and sound) at least as gorgeous if not more so than many pedigree RBs I have seen and I include Mouse is that (just don't tell him 
 ).   One of the reasons I liked the idea of Russian Blue when I looked at getting a pedigree cat was that all the features are naturally occuring and the pedigree simply evidences that the cat comes from families of cats with these features over a number of generations.  There are no fancy features, they can all occur in nature, including in feral colonies and be just as striking and beautiful as the pedigrees with top championship awards. Our beautiful blue grey panthers.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I don't know about normal but it sure is lucky.  

My previous cats shed so much they should have been bald but Mouse is the oposite and keeps his fur to himself:  it is so lovely to hug a cat and not get covered in fur, burrow in to thick fur and not end up with a nose and mouth full, and not have a home which needs vacuuming several times a week to avoid being overcome by dander and fur.  Beware though - it might just be the time of year and when spring really hits all that fur might come out in one major seasonal dump.  
     I just stroke Mouse's fur and never brush it as that thins the fur out which for pedigree RB cats isn't a good thing.

@segelkatt   Sascha has never been 'just' anything, he may have found you at a cat shelter but you couldn't have been found by a more handsome guy.  He always looks stunning in your photographs and his character shines through both in your photographs and your posts.  I swear there are cats here in this thread who don't have any pedigree history but they look (and sound) at least as gorgeous if not more so than many pedigree RBs I have seen and I include Mouse is that (just don't tell him 
 ).   One of the reasons I liked the idea of Russian Blue when I looked at getting a pedigree cat was that all the features are naturally occuring and the pedigree simply evidences that the cat comes from families of cats with these features over a number of generations.  There are no fancy features, they can all occur in nature, including in feral colonies and be just as striking and beautiful as the pedigrees with top championship awards. Our beautiful blue grey panthers.  

A great big thank you.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks! hey, is it normal for RB/hybrids/etc not to shed? i finally got her a brush, and she didn't leave a hair on it...
My avatar Panthera is a black DSH and I don't take a brush to him either, it makes bald spots on him. I just stroke him and a few hairs will come off. He is the only one who sleeps in my bed under the covers which is a good thing as the others leave their hair all over the place, especially the Persian who leaves clumps. Unlike @MServant I do have to vacuum every day. If I were not renting I would put hardwood on all the floors and my next set of furniture is going to be leather. My  friends who have leather couches and cats all say that the cats will not scratch or claw the leather and that they keep little blankets for the cats to snuggle on in one corner of the couch. Me? I have to not only vacuum the carpet but the furniture too

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you Segelkatt, I remember the constant vacuuming all too well....   including the furniture.   I used to use the same wire brush I groomed the girls with to brush over the chair and sofa:  it worked a treat lifting off  the thick fur covering where ever 'the girls' had been.   It was great for a quick clean up when someone turned up unexpectedly and I didn't want them covered in fur from my furniture.    

As for floor boards - I had carpet here when I first moved in but had it all lifted and now live with the original varnished floor boards plus rugs.  I prefer washable rugs but have a large, short pile, wool rug in the sitting room that I have to make do with vacuuming.  The boards are easier for lifting off the fur, brushing up litter tracking, and washing down if going through a furball season.   

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living here in Southern California where it can get quite hot in the summer some people have even opted for tile on the floors and bring out a nice rug for the winter. Houses are built quite cheaply here, none of the nice thick brick walls of Europe, but plasterboard  with stucko on the outside which lets the heat  and cold in. (The people in Mexico and farther south had the good idea of building thick adobe walls with small windows). The ribs of the houses are wood so a house fire is devastating, everything goes up in flames very easily. However, (you knew there had to be something good about building like that), this also makes the house not as subject to falling down in an earthquake as it is more flexible. Which is also why the traditional Japanese house was built from wood and paper, no heavy beams to fall down on people during an earthquake. 

Then during the winter where (here where I live) it never goes to below freezing it will rain and it  gets miserable and a nice warm rug on the floor is welcome. So is a cushy blanket to cuddle up with on the couch or big chair. The few people who have real fireplaces hardly ever use them and are discouraged anyway because of the fire danger. After 8 to 10 months of no rain at all everything is dry as cinder and one spark out of a chimney can cause a disaster. Barbeque during the summer is a different matter as someone will be watching the food to keep it from burning and will also make sure that no sparks fly.

So, yes, I would like to have either a wooden floor or tile but since it's not my property I can't do anything about the carpet on the floor.

Regarding unexpected people: I have a CAT'S RULES sign that says that the cats live here, you don't, so deal with it or words to that effect. My cats are my furry children, built close to the  ground and who don't speak very  clearly. Also, no outfit is complete without cat hair.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good rules @segelkatt   
.    I do TRY to keep fur down in  my house but that is in part because I have a few friends with allergies and when I had my tabbies actually triggered asthma for one of them. 
  I felt awful.   Apart from trying to keep the fur level down it is a cat home and anyone coming in here has to accept that the Mouse rules  
    and respect his territory.     That includes me - and this week Mouse has decided that the place to sleep is at the top end of my bed, right in the middle and on top of the duvet.  
     Yes, that does mean that I end up curled up on the edge of the bed, my feet tucked under the duvet and the rest of me covered with a fleece blanket.  

It isn't too bad as he usually decides to move down the bed and snuggle at my feet after a few minutes.  He definitely knows who's boss here (him).  

defanged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Wow, that is one fine big cat collar @KKoerner, what a perfect choice for coordinating with Loki's fur and eyes.  
    Loki looks very happy with his new 'outfit' too.  

Is it one of the break-away collars I read about here on site?   (I haven't looked at cat collars for many years as Mouse doesn't wear one and stopped with my previous cats when they were youngsters as they hated them). 

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:eek:oh:    Wow, that is one fine big cat collar @KKoerner
, what a perfect choice for coordinating with Loki's fur and eyes.  :clap: :love:     Loki looks very happy with his new 'outfit' too.  :catguy:

Is it one of the break-away collars I read about here on site?   (I haven't looked at cat collars for many years as Mouse doesn't wear one and stopped with my previous cats when they were youngsters as they hated them). 
Yes, it is a breakaway collar.

And thanks! That is exactly why I picked those colors :-D

He fought it for a little bit because the new tag I got is also a little bigger than the last one. But he got over it pretty quickly LOL

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki modeling his new, big boy, collar!

I love seeing pictures of collared cats! It looks great! My cats wear collars 24/7. We're in a rural area where we're overrun with strays and only the lucky cats get taken to animal shelters. I microchipped both of my cats, but chipping cats in my area isn't that common, so chances are people would not think to scan for them. A collar is immediate visual proof that they're not strays.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Is this the handsome Tesla again?   Very cute expression here.