Post op issues

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, my kitty is about 9-10 lbs, vet prescribed 50mg of gabapentin. She seems super sedated. Is the dosage too high

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is 11 lbs. and was taking the same amount but has only been on Gabapentin once. I'm sure a lot depends on the individual cat just like medicine affects adults differently. Since we don't know your cat's health history, i.e. what is causing the pain or her diagnosis it would be best for you to call your vet and discuss the side effects with them. Best of luck, I hope your cat feels better soon. 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for assurance. She was released from abdominal surgery from hairball obstruction. Major stress for both of us.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I hope she is on the road to recovery soon and will no longer need the Gabapentin. :crossfingers:

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It’s been a rollercoaster ride. Dr performed endoscopy procedure to remove hairball and within a week, she had a second obstruction. She had a surgery yesterday and she was all fine upon discharge. I gave her buprenex and 50mg gabapentin and she’s extremely sedated. She didn’t eat nor moving today. I’m so worried

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Did you give them together? I had to take one of my cats, Iris, to the emergency vet a couple of weeks ago for a UTI. They gave me both buprenex and gabapentin and told me that if I gave them at the same time, it could have a sedating effect. She wasn’t affected too much—other than the desired pain relief—but she gets gabapentin daily for arthritis pain anyway and her tolerance is higher. But as neely neely says, cats’ reaction gabapentin can vary. When another of my cats had her teeth pulled, the gabapentin really knocked her out.

I’m sorry to hear that your kitty (and you) are going through this. I know how worried you must be. I agree with neely neely that you might want to check in with your vet.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave them together per instruction. It’s been 12 hours and still very sedated. Vet told me to go ER but honestly, that trip alone will cause more stress

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I gave them together per instruction. It’s been 12 hours and still very sedated. Vet told me to go ER but honestly, that trip alone will cause more stress
12 hours is not that long and both pain meds given together can take longer to get out of her system. If she's not better in 24 hours you can try calling the ER instead of stressing yourself and her out by bringing her in. Just monitor her closely and give it a little more time for the meds to wear off. If you see any other symptoms, e.g. vomiting, etc. then put a call into the ER sooner.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Came home, no improvement. Still lethargic, very nauseous, maybe in pain, and absolutely refusing food even with mirtazpine.

Surgeon denies post op complication, and attributes anemia to underlying gastritis.

I am mentally, physically and financially ruined at this point. I love her so very much and I don’t know what to do.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you explain everything that happened? Which cat had surgery, what was it for, how old is she, etc. Without all of the details nothing makes sense.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8/25: endoscopy procedure hairball obstruction
9/1: second hairball obstruction. Abdominal surgery
9/3: ER visit for severe anemia. PCV 11%
9/5: discharged from ER. PCV. 24%
9/6: still very nauseous, extreme lethargy, food refusal. 9-3 to 9-6: ate 2 taps
3 years old female ragdoll recently diagnosed with IBD with endo biopsy

Bleeding continueing? Haven’t checked PCV since ER

Odd behavior: purring and sitting in the litter box but no bowel movement or pee

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ate two tsp food from 9/4-9/6.

Last edited:

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I ended up taking my gal to the ER and her PCV was at 11%. Extreme lethargy was not from gabapentin but from post op hemorrhage. She received 2 blood transfusions.

Surgeon denies any post op bleeding is from surgery. She was discharged on 9/3 and she ended up in ER for significant blood loss on 9/4.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m SO glad you took her in. How scary. Is she doing better now?

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recovery is one day at a time. I’m extremely displeased with all the vets. Her medical journey as follows:

8/25: performed endoscopy procedure to remove hairball obstruction.
9/1: abdominal surgery to remove second obstruction. Vet said second obstruction is new and unrelated to previous obstruction. There is no way in hell she would ingest an egg size obstruction in 3-4 days post endoscopy.
9/3; discharged from surgery. Came home
9/4: ER visit confirmed hemorrhage. PCV 11%
9/5; received 2 transfusions
9/6: came home. Prognosis stable but guarded until underlying bleeding is found. Supportive therapy until next step

Recommendation: another exploratory surgery.

Im not putting her through another surgery, no way.

What would you do?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are in this position after having tried so hard to help your cat. What is the purpose of another surgery? To find the source of the hemorrhage? What are her chances of surviving it if this is even a solution as opposed to another strategy? I know that you have said that you have been through it financially, and in every other way because of this, but can you get her to another clinic, referral hospital, veterinary internist who might have more insights into what is happening?

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the purpose of surgery was to remove the second hairball obstruction. The first one was done by endoscope which I think was a total failure. I don't think the endoscope completely removed all of the hairballs.

The endoscopy procedure removed some hairball not ALL. She got sick again after one week from the endoscope. When I took her back, a second x-ray showed more blockage, and surgery was needed this time.

The abdominal surgery almost killed her as she suffered bleeding and severe anemia due to post op trauma. She ended up in ER and received two blood transfusions.

She must have lost a lot of blood during surgery or the surgeon must have severed a blood vessel. The surgeon denies all of it. My vet bills are in 30k. I want to pursue it legally as I believe post-op trauma is due to the surgeon's negligence.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
exploratory surgery is to find the severed blood vessel and repair it. These vets are crazy. She just came out of surgery that almost killed her and they are suggesting another exploratory surgery. These vets don't care about your animal. They want the most expensive procedure. These doctors are killers.