Post op cat neutering!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, that's good but just keep an eye on his next one or two poops and see if he's still having small hard poo.
I'm starting to believe he may just be stressed with the surgery and the cone as well. He has been doing everything normally just having hard poops. This morning he pooped (it was still lumps but more fresh) but it took him a while to even want to use the litter box. He wasn't straining or anything either? My mom said it was normal for him because he can't leave the room and he may be stressed (he's a very social cat and hates being in the room and not downstairs). I also have a bit of a problem with health anxiety and it projects onto him. :') My vet still hasn't replied to me yet but I have an appointment for a well visit in a few weeks. Would I consider this an emergency?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to believe he may just be stressed with the surgery and the cone as well. He has been doing everything normally just having hard poops. This morning he pooped (it was still lumps but more fresh) but it took him a while to even want to use the litter box. He wasn't straining or anything either? My mom said it was normal for him because he can't leave the room and he may be stressed (he's a very social cat and hates being in the room and not downstairs). I also have a bit of a problem with health anxiety and it projects onto him. :') My vet still hasn't replied to me yet but I have an appointment for a well visit in a few weeks. Would I consider this an emergency?
There's no emergency- he's healing nicely,he's eliminating----listen to your Mom,sounds like she knows what she's talking about❤

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update:
Suspecting he has a UTI. woke up this morning with him going in the litter box and peeing (he did a good number on it) but now won't stop going in it to "pee" (nothing comes out, no straining or crying etc) and digs in the litter box and/or digs on my bed. Is this a uti? or is he just bored? I let him out of my room and he's not doing it anymore?? I'm calling my vet when they open but I just need to know if i'm freaking out or not

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update:
Suspecting he has a UTI. woke up this morning with him going in the litter box and peeing (he did a good number on it) but now won't stop going in it to "pee" (nothing comes out, no straining or crying etc) and digs in the litter box and/or digs on my bed. Is this a uti? or is he just bored? I let him out of my room and he's not doing it anymore?? I'm calling my vet when they open but I just need to know if i'm freaking out or not
Is he digging & squatting or just digging?
He can be bored,he can be anxious or frustrated or can very well have a urinary tract infection- so when he did urinate he had a good stream and seemed normal?

Don't " freak out" though- when your Vets office opens do call,explain and ask if he wants to see him..... I'm guessing they open with the next hour?

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he digging & squatting or just digging?
He can be bored,he can be anxious or frustrated or can very well have a urinary tract infection- so when he did urinate he had a good stream and seemed normal?

Don't " freak out" though- when your Vets office opens do call,explain and ask if he wants to see him..... I'm guessing they open with the next hour?
Digging and squatting, like he's trying to pee more but he cant. It just randomly started, nothing flared anything up. He did let a lot of pee out earlier and it's repetitive. Yeah but the only bad thing is that my dad has to schedule it since they need a deposit for appointments and i'm still a minor. And he gets off of work in a few hours. There's no other symptoms besides that so I already asked my dad to call and schedule asap

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Good,I'm sure your Dad can do what is required by telephone so you can get him in quickly- are you able to get him there after he's made the appt?

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good,I'm sure your Dad can do what is required by telephone so you can get him in quickly- are you able to get him there after he's made the appt?
Yeah I'm able to get him there. It's just stressful because he's had a slight uti before and it wasn't even that bad and these are the same signs. It's just weird how it started randomly this morning after he came downstairs to use the other litter box. He just keeps going in and trying to pee but he already peed a lot so I don't know what to do really besides take him to the vet:( I'm trying not to freak out but I know a blockage and be deadly in a few days and my vet said they couldn't get him in last time until 1 week and a half after I called

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Suspecting he has a UTI. woke up this morning with him going in the litter box and peeing (he did a good number on it) but now won't stop going in it to "pee" (nothing comes out, no straining or crying etc) and digs in the litter box and/or digs on my bed. Is this a uti? or is he just bored?
If it's UTI, likely he'll keep going to the litterbox and crying and straining and pee bits and pee will and he'll go in many times soon after one another.

If he goes in and dig and squat and come out, likely he feels that he needs to pee but then it's not that urgent to pee. Keep an eye on him, continue his hydration.

My boy is sometimes like this, dig, squat and never pee.

Better bring him to the vet for a check.

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's UTI, likely he'll keep going to the litterbox and crying and straining and pee bits and pee will and he'll go in many times soon after one another.

If he goes in and dig and squat and come out, likely he feels that he needs to pee but then it's not that urgent to pee. Keep an eye on him, continue his hydration.

My boy is sometimes like this, dig, squat and never pee.

Better bring him to the vet for a check.
The only thing is he doesn't cry or meow when he goes in, just squats for a minute and doesn't pee at all. He will go out of his way when he notices a litter box and do that, constantly for the past hour but also he's been crying and digging to get out of the room. I'm getting myself freaked out because it could just be him trying to get my attention or just? Him having it? When he went downstairs to the other litter box he also was doing the same thing??

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm able to get him there. It's just stressful because he's had a slight uti before and it wasn't even that bad and these are the same signs. It's just weird how it started randomly this morning after he came downstairs to use the other litter box. He just keeps going in and trying to pee but he already peed a lot so I don't know what to do really besides take him to the vet:( I'm trying not to freak out but I know a blockage and be deadly in a few days and my vet said they couldn't get him in last time until 1 week and a half after I called
I understand but you have to try not to freak - your cat will easily pick up on your anxiety and he does not need to be stressed as hes already having a hard time,,okay? The calmer you are the better it is for him so try
An infection is not tye same as a blockage or an obstruction and won't necessarily lead to that - of course you always want to bring him in to your Vet so you are doing everything RIGHT

Ask your Dad to tell the office he needs to come in todsy,even if that means dropping him off so they can squeeze him in somewhere today if they are booked and you can pick him up after they've seen him-no doubt your Dad can get thst done!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The only thing is he doesn't cry or meow when he goes in, just squats for a minute and doesn't pee at all. He will go out of his way when he notices a litter box and do that, constantly for the past hour but also he's been crying and digging to get out of the room. I'm getting myself freaked out because it could just be him trying to get my attention or just? Him having it? When he went downstairs to the other litter box he also was doing the same thing??
I think it's better to have the vet take a look at him. It could be the beginning of UTI and best if it could be treat early before it gets worse.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats why I asked if he was squatting & you saud he is- so that seems he likely has an infection and has the sensation of needing to urinate..... if it was boredom he shouldn't be squatting

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats why I asked if he was squatting & you saud he is- so that seems he likely has an infection and has the sensation of needing to urinate..... if it was boredom he shouldn't be squatting
Called my er vet and taking him around 1 💕thank you guys so much for easing it so I don't freak out.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
While you're waiting you might want to do what you can to keep him drinking- maybe some ice cubes in his water bowl or if you have any unsalted( low sodium ) chicken broth or some tuna water( from a can of tuna in water- not oil)

As tabbytom tabbytom mentioned earlier it is beneficial❤

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While you're waiting you might want to do what you can to keep him drinking- maybe some ice cubes in his water bowl or if you have any unsalted( low sodium ) chicken broth or some tuna water( from a can of tuna in water- not oil)

As tabbytom tabbytom mentioned earlier it is beneficial❤
I gave him some apple cider in his wet food this morning and will be giving him extra juice from his wet food and ice water 😊

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So did some one have the barn cats spayed & nuetered?'I'm guessing they are not a colony that was TNR'd.... if so,as tabbytom tabbytom explained they'd be notched(no owner per say)

I used to spay & nueter all my barn cats through a " free spay & nueter" program who provides vouchers to submit to participating Vets- they give the option of ear notching,I didn't because they were my kitties and no need to distinguish them from others that can join a cat colony of ferals & strays.... that might be the same scenario where you are boarding....?
The cats in this barn don't belong to anyone, "officially". The barn owner tolerates them because they keep mice at bay. Many of them just come and go, the females that breed there are neutered and kitten are given in adoption. Kitten that are not adopted are neutered too. We give them names, and some food but not plenty, so that they keep hunting. Right now we have only three females and one male as "regulars" in the barn.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Why f do I’d u you give him apple cider vinegar? Please don’t do that. If he is unable to urinate, that is an emergency. If he is urinating frequently in small amounts, then he needs to be seen, but usually if all else is ok it can wait until Monday.

If the vet never got back to you about the cone and this was a regular neuter, not a retained testicle type surgery where they go in to the abdomen, then remove the cone.

Cats usually don’t cry when they are in pain. When did he last urinate? Try to keep track of when and how much he urinates.