Post op cat neutering!

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Yesterday, I got my 9 month old male cat neutered. My family has been getting all of our cats fixed at a low cost spay and neuter clinic. However upon picking him up, they said he wouldn't need a cone and never said anything about how it's bad for him to lick himself. Fast forward a few hours later after the surgery, he starts licking down there and nibbling. I redirected him but he only got more aggressive and hissed and me until he slept in his carrier (my room is the place i'm keeping him; quiet, dark, no other animals etc.) I read online that it is bad and can cause infection, and other people saying it's fine for him to lick it? It doesn't say anything on paperwork. I didn't notice anything weird when I look at his incision (linked photos down below). Any help is appreciated. I am attempting to get him a e-collar or anything from the pet store later on today. Thank you!

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Any help is appreciated. I am attempting to get him a e-collar or anything from the pet store later on today. Thank you!
Its is not necessary to put on a cone. Lots of cats don't have them on when they get neutered and cats like ferals and strays are not on cones and also my boy is not on cone after his surgery.

Since it's only yesterday the surgery was done, the surgery site may look a little bloody. Here's a reply I responded to one member about post neutering.

Is it infected??

'The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Keep an eye on his nibbling of the surgery site and make sure he dose not cause it to open. Anything you are unsure or spot something that's not right, take a photo of it and send to your vet to clarify. If he did split it open and it's bleeding much, bring him back to the vet ASAP.

BTW, your boy is very handsome :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its is not necessary to put on a cone. Lots of cats don't have them on when they get neutered and cats like ferals and strays are not on cones and also my boy is not on cone after his surgery.

Since it's only yesterday the surgery was done, the surgery site may look a little bloody. Here's a reply I responded to one member about post neutering.

Is it infected??

'The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Keep an eye on his nibbling of the surgery site and make sure he dose not cause it to open. Anything you are unsure or spot something that's not right, take a photo of it and send to your vet to clarify. If he did split it open and it's bleeding much, bring him back to the vet ASAP.

BTW, your boy is very handsome :redheartpump: :hearthrob:
So would it be ok to let him lick it? I don't want to have him open it by any means because my primary vet has a lonnnggg wait time to get in. I've been having him sleep in his carrier to prevent him from being able to lick it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So would it be ok to let him lick it? I don't want to have him open it by any means because my primary vet has a lonnnggg wait time to get in. I've been having him sleep in his carrier to prevent him from being able to lick it.
It's fine as long as he doesn't over do it- if being in his carrier keeps him from over grooming the incision site then thats fine too.... just keep an eye on it as tabbytom suggested and he'll very quickly not even be interested any more,they recover very quickly & the small incision heals quickly as well❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!! My boys name is Mika! He's a lovely boy besides being a little meanie sometimes :-)
Nice name- Welcome to Mika as well- glad you are here,keep us posted and ask as many questions as you like ...

And we loooove photos btw👍

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is very cute. It looks fine now. I would still follow your vets orders. You can call them and ask if the cone is truly needed.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Licking is normal for cats and especially occasion like this. Just as long as he does not over do it till it becomes raw.

If you are afraid, you may want to get a onesie for cats and that will be more comfortable than a cone and most likely he won't be able to lick the surgery part with the onesie on and even if he does, it's better than licking and biting the surgery part raw.

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nice name- Welcome to Mika as well- glad you are here,keep us posted and ask as many questions as you like ...

And we loooove photos btw👍
He's a photogenic little boy :-) he stopped nibbling this morning! Just licking a lot haha

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Little paw biter...
He's just too cute- do you feel more at ease now? And believe me,tabbytom has talked me off the ledge many times - lol

You'll find this a great support community and some very very nice fellow cat lovers❤

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm having my boy fixed next week and I'm reading everything there's to read about it so that I can fret about it accordingly, ha ha ha... Still, I have some doubts.

How long is the intervention? How does it look afterwards? I mean, when everything is healed. Do you notice he has been neutered? Because I was told that the cats at the barn where I keep my horses are all neutered, but that they don't have the cut in the ear. Seemingly, for cats that live in colonies, vets make a small cut in the ear so that you can know that cat has been neutered. It seems meaningful for female cats, but.. for male ones???

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's just too cute- do you feel more at ease now? And believe me,tabbytom has talked me off the ledge many times - lol

You'll find this a great support community and some very very nice fellow cat lovers❤
A lot more! I went to tractor supply, got him an e-collar and temporarily moved him into my brothers room since he's more safe in here!

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, I'm having my boy fixed next week and I'm reading everything there's to read about it so that I can fret about it accordingly, ha ha ha... Still, I have some doubts.

How long is the intervention? How does it look afterwards? I mean, when everything is healed. Do you notice he has been neutered? Because I was told that the cats at the barn where I keep my horses are all neutered, but that they don't have the cut in the ear. Seemingly, for cats that live in colonies, vets make a small cut in the ear so that you can know that cat has been neutered. It seems meaningful for female cats, but.. for male ones???
Not much intervention needed.

My post #2 of this thread explains the post surgery.

Tipping the ear are for strays and ferals so that to indicate that they are neutered or spayed and easily spotted by cat rescue organizations. Right ear tipped are females and left ear tipped are males.

For strictly indoor cats, you can choose not to have the ear tipped.

Here are a few articles for you to read :-

Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery - TheCatSite

Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery - TheCatSite

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

So did some one have the barn cats spayed & nuetered?'I'm guessing they are not a colony that was TNR'd.... if so,as tabbytom tabbytom explained they'd be notched(no owner per say)

I used to spay & nueter all my barn cats through a " free spay & nueter" program who provides vouchers to submit to participating Vets- they give the option of ear notching,I didn't because they were my kitties and no need to distinguish them from others that can join a cat colony of ferals & strays.... that might be the same scenario where you are boarding....?

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
So it's been a few days. He's eating, drinking (a lot more) and seems to be healing fine. But he's still constipated (passing some stool but very very small little chunks) and just wanted to see if you guys thought it looked ok. My mom said it looked fine and he's healing really well but second opinions always matter (well third but my vet hasn't replied yet) :-)

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update:
So it's been a few days. He's eating, drinking (a lot more) and seems to be healing fine. But he's still constipated (passing some stool but very very small little chunks) and just wanted to see if you guys thought it looked ok. My mom said it looked fine and he's healing really well but second opinions always matter (well third but my vet hasn't replied yet) :-)
Thanks for the update!

Yea, surgery site looks like it's healing well. It should look dryer and also the incision should be closing up pretty well.

Please give him more water during his meals. Best is to give him wet food and add a tablespoon and a half of filtered water and mix with the food at each meal to keep him more hydrated. Try putting out a bowl or plate and fill it with filtered water and see if he drinks from it. As cats have a low thirst drive and not all cats drink from water fountain or bowls, best way is add water to their wet food.

waddachii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the update!

Yea, surgery site looks like it's healing well. It should look dryer and also the incision should be closing up pretty well.

Please give him more water during his meals. Best is to give him wet food and add a tablespoon and a half of filtered water and mix with the food at each meal to keep him more hydrated. Try putting out a bowl or plate and fill it with filtered water and see if he drinks from it. As cats have a low thirst drive and not all cats drink from water fountain or bowls, best way is add water to their wet food.
I've been adding a lot of water in with his wet food (since i only give him a little dry food but mixed with water to make it soupy)! He also constantly has a water fountain going and a plate with watery mixed dry food soup. Thank you so much!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been adding a lot of water in with his wet food (since i only give him a little dry food but mixed with water to make it soupy)! He also constantly has a water fountain going and a plate with watery mixed dry food soup. Thank you so much!
Ok, that's good but just keep an eye on his next one or two poops and see if he's still having small hard poo.