Possibly pregnant??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! And yes, still the one so far :) mama cat seems content with her singleton lol

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone help with our 3 day old kitten, Siggy? I check on Siggy fairly often but mostly just let mama and kitten do their thing. She rarely leaves her kitten's side and I am happy she is taking good care of him or her. In saying that, I have not seen any wastes from the kitten. I check the area a few times a day and never see poop, it smells like urine where they stay but even then, I haven't observed noticeable spots.

Is this something to be concerned about? Could mama be cleaning the waste?? She is consistently licking at the kitten's private area. Im just not sure if there's any need for concern?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes this is normal. Young kittens are unable to go the toilet by themselves - they need mom to stimulate them by washing / licking that area for them to relive themselves. Mom then eats the poop and wee ( gross but this is natural to keep the nest area clean and so no smells to attract predators )

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are you weighing the kitten everyday to make sure he is gaining enough weight ? :D

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you!! Definitely feel relieved to know she's taking care of it. :)

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the kitten gained 12 grams.since yesterday! The belly looks nice and round too. I was concerned because I've noticed mama cat let's the kitten wander sometimes but she eventually goes to pick it back up. I came out to it crying in the middle of the room it stays in and mama was observing it from under their spot. I was like, "Freya, come get your baby"! Lol

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes the kitten gained 12 grams.since yesterday! The belly looks nice and round too. I was concerned because I've noticed mama cat let's the kitten wander sometimes but she eventually goes to pick it back up. I came out to it crying in the middle of the room it stays in and mama was observing it from under their spot. I was like, "Freya, come get your baby"! Lol
Lol :lol3: It sounds like he's doing really well :D

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was Daddy neutered few weeks ago? He could still have active sperm for weeks after I would NOT let them be together.  

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our male was fixed last month when we found out Freya was pregnant. She will be spayed in 6 weeks when the kitten has its first appointment with the vet.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got you.  Make sure to remind them that she is nursing when they spay her( so they stitch her up good) not sure if the same vet seeing her will do the spay-I go to a large multi vet practice so I am used to reminding them as vet in exam is not the surgery vet.  I never took the kittens away from my cats and one nursed 9(her 6 and 3 few days older) for months lol!  That Mom was spayed when babys were very young as there was fear of a retained kitten.  The Mom was just lumpy:p

Adorable:)

Last edited:

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I wish I did know! We went and bought a kitchen scale two days ago so we could start keeping track. This kitten pretty much came out of the womb crawling.

I might sound crazy saying this but I am nursing my 6 month old and every time I come around the kitten to sit with it and Freya, it starts sniffing around and crawls to me! Like it smells my milk?! Lol..I had a heart attack when I saw it sitting in the middle of the room yesterday but it loves to explore. I told my husband we are going to be in trouble when it opens his/her eyes.

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! We will be going to the same vet but I am going to remind them regardless that she is nursing. I want her to be able to as long as she can.

I also have been having the same concern because I was surprised she only had one kitten. She doesn't really look pregnant still but then again, she never really did to begin with lol

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First litters tend to be smaller.  The cat I had taken in already pregnant had 1 previous birth of just 1.  She had 3 on her 2nd birth.  Other cat had 2 or 3 1st time around and 6 second time around!

Another Mom cat I had used to put her kittens in different spots-one would be in that corner 1 on the bed....she had 5.  She favored the only boy and hid him good.  She was SO angry when I put her in cage at times I could not watch carefully(had adult cats around) She would sit on the top level while they had the bottom.  When they learned to climb  up the bars few weeks later she would smack them back down. 

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question further on but first an update!! Our sweet kitten opened its eyes this past Tuesday!! :) It is such a curious thing and growing so fast!

Anyway I have a question for anyone that can help..mama cat moved the kitten a few days ago from under the crib to underneath the pack n play.

I have been cleaning and was looking for the location where I could smell my male cat sprayed before he was fixed. Well, I finally found it. All over the pack n play pad and the mesh sides. I want to get rid of this whole thing. Can I move the kitten and mom so I can throw it in the trash or any other recommendations???

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once had a female house cat who wet a Wal Mart bag I had put on the carpet in the hallway. The carpet manufacturer told me to spray the whole thing with clear ammonia and let it dry. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. They stressed the fact, don't buy the sudsing kind. I can't answer what to do with the cat and kitten, but if you find you can move them, you might try spraying this and see if it works before you trash it. My cat never went back to that area. She had never done it before and she never did it afterwards. I guess it was something about the bag smell or it being on the floor that caused my cat to wet it.

liesincepl8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I will try that first! My male cat went on a spraying spree like two months back and I'm still finding things he sprayed. It's horrible