Possibly allergic to my new kitten

PersianCocoChanel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my new seal point persian kitten home on Saturday February 18th so Ive had her for only a couple of days. I believe that I may be having an allergy to her and Im wondering other peoples experiences and asking for advice. Within the first day of having her my eyes started itching and watering and I started waking up with eye discharge. The itchy eyes progressed to a mildly irritated feeling in my throat that has been persistent. Today 2/22 I woke up with the same symptoms but I now also have a clear runny nose and that later in the day progressed to congestion and a headache. I am feeling worse by the hour. I am fairly certain that these symptoms are an allergy to the kitten. I do not think it is a cold because I am one of the few people who still wear a mask when out in public and rarely leave the house. Does anyone have any advice or opinions?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Playing it safe, is to redirect this kitten to some relative or friend... Adult, neutered cats are a little safer if you want to try again.

For now, IF you want to keep the kitten:
No cat in your bedroom (which is perhaps the greatest sacrifice for an allergic cat owner)
Wash always hands after cuddling and playing with her.

Do you live together with someone? If so, let that person clean off her litter, and do all the brushing. If not, look further down.

Brush regurarly with good ventilation and face mask, wash off hands afterwards. You can also, swap her of with a wetted cloth every day.
A good trick is to learn her enjoy swimming, and let her swim bathe every week, without using detergents, just warm water. Or give her a mild shower.

Do vacuum often with a hepa filter on. Do air out the flat often... An air cleaner with hepa filter is good. Sometimes it helps with a humiding device.
So the air isnt too dry... But if the air IS very humid; try with a drying out device.

Do not smoke. do exercise lotsa in fresh air. (quick walks are good)
Drink much (water and juices), eat healthy food - lotsa vitamines and minerales and fat, extra vitamine D, C and magnesium; do avoid sugar and white bread,

Persians are often tolerated by allergic cat owners. MY theory its because people are used to take care of their fur, grooming, washing... Which are also among my recommendations.

And yeah, many an allergic gets used to their own cat... So as long you dont get asthma allergy, you may try to fight on, using all the tips you can find...

PersianCocoChanel PersianCocoChanel

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to Siamese cats and only Siamese cats (or Siamese mixes) - with all the same symptoms you listed as well as my eyes swelling shut. Their dander is different somehow.

I hope you are able to figure it out with your new baby so that you're able to keep her!

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t have much advice, but just wanted to say that when we got our second cat my partner had mild allergy symptoms for a few months with the new kitten and then they disappeared. He’s not had any issues since and we have 2 extra kittens now also, with no issues. It was bizarre because he never reacted with the first cat either, and we’ve had all our cats from kittens. Hopefully you can sort something and keep your little one!

Smarl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, hope you are feeling better soon! Like others said, it's better to keep the kitten out from the bedroom for now. If you want to try with her it's fine, but if your symptoms get too bad don't hesitate to contact her breeder.

I had some symptoms when we got out first cat (she's a ragdoll) and we needed to keep her out of the bedroom first couple of years. We also had a thuble dryer which helped with overall dust and hair (I have seasonal allergies too) and hooverez/changed sheets, pillowcases and stuff more often. I'm no more allergic to cats and they can sleep in my bed, but I still prefer to hoover every other day in the bedroom and also keep air purifyer in the bedroom too. Good luck for you both!