POLL-Which do you prefer to feed your cat?

nekomimi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use both. I leave out dry food all day. In the mornings, I make a mix of dry and wet canned food (half a cann) with some water. Seth loves her morning meal!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

Dry food only?

Wet/canned food only?

Mix of both?
Pixel eats mostly dry, because i can't seem to find a wet she likes... Cable & Java get both.

gamina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mainly wet food - in the morning and in the evening, he eats appr. a can per day (a can here is 400gr.). And he always has dry food for neutered cats, but he eats too little from it.
I don't dare to give him raw meat or bones because I don't believe in the veterinary control on the meat here. He loves chicken also, but I always give him cooked meat.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Aunt jeni's HomeMade 4Life raw food twice per day in either ckicken, turkey, or rabbit, and one of those times they each get a (thawed) frozen mouse. The rest of the time (they are still quite young) I give them EVO.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiaira

Jcat,

When we first got Kiaira, she was eating both wet and dry. Upon discussing it with a vet years ago, we were told dry was better for them.
So Kiaira was switched to dry only and when we got Tori she was put on a dry diet as well.
Once I started working at my current clinic a couple of years ago, I learned wet food is healthier and a dry diet can contribute to CRF, IBD etc. So needless to say, we quickly purchased wet food. Kiaira readily accepted the wet food (but she used to eat it) and continued to love it until we lost our fight to renal failure last year...something I know years of dry food probably contributed to.

Unfortunately, Tori refused to have anything to do with it as she had only ever known dry and she was free fed for years which I also know is a no-no. So that combined with her grazing habits, has made our attempts at trying to convert her to wet food quite difficult.
When we tried to introduce wet food into Tori's diet again about a month ago, we only gave her small portions to decrease her chances of developing G.I. problems. Still no go...

She's has just started a prescription diet for her weight and she is now no longer being free fed...
Her weight is another reason why we have to be very careful in introducing food she doesn't care for... It's so frustrating sometimes!
Anyway, if you or anyone else have any other good tips (we have tried a few which haven't worked but I'm always open to more ideas), I would be more than willing to try it.
When Jamie decides to "go on strike" and refuse his wet food, I mix venison jerky in with it. I get Ziwi Peak 'Good-Cat' Treats from New Zealand, which he loves, and bury a few pieces under the canned food. There are other flavors, but he really loves the venison. At the shelter, they use Whiskas or Friskies Crisp "crunchies" on top of canned food to encourage the cats that must eat wet to do so.
Can she eat fish? Jamie doesn't like poultry, and most cat foods are poultry, but I've found that if I buy chicken mixed with shrimp, tuna, surimi, or salmon, he'll eat it. Or I give him chicken or turkey, and put little pieces of pepperoni or hardboiled egg in it. He will voluntarily eat beef, lamb, or venison canned food.

kate_e_did

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Vets say Dry food only as it is better for dental health. He said he can actually tell by looking in a cats mouth what type of diet it has.

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lionessrampant and Jcat, thank you for your replies!

We have tired putting various pieces of meat in her wet food to try and coax her...but she generally doesn't like "people food" (not even fish), so needless to say, that didn't work.
However, I am definitely going to give the freeze dried chicken a chance (and go from there if it works) as she may like the texture.
Adding some crunchy treats is also a great idea...we have only tried softer ones in the past.
Jcat, I have tried different brands, but most of them contained poultry. We haven't tried venison or lamb though.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely give them a shot (not all at once of course) and I hope one of them works.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 50% dry, 40% canned, 10% raw. Ideally I'd cut out the dry altogether but at this point it's not financially feasible.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two get a mixture of both. Wet food primarily but there is always dry food down as well just in case they want to graze. I've noticed over the past few days though that they seem to be going through a phase of preferring dry to wet

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kate_e_did

My Vets say Dry food only as it is better for dental health. He said he can actually tell by looking in a cats mouth what type of diet it has.
I disagree with your vet. From what I have gleaned from this site, it seems wet food is definitely better for our kitties.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiaira

Lionessrampant and Jcat, thank you for your replies!

We have tired putting various pieces of meat in her wet food to try and coax her...but she generally doesn't like "people food" (not even fish), so needless to say, that didn't work.
However, I am definitely going to give the freeze dried chicken a chance (and go from there if it works) as she may like the texture.
Adding some crunchy treats is also a great idea...we have only tried softer ones in the past.
Jcat, I have tried different brands, but most of them contained poultry. We haven't tried venison or lamb though.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely give them a shot (not all at once of course) and I hope one of them works.
The freeze dried is nice because you can break it up into little treat-size bits. Leo never liked people food ever, but seemed to accept the transition off of freeze-dried. he's an extremely fussy eater, too. My other cat, on the other hand, would eat gravel if you set it down in front of her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kate_e_did

Our vets told us the same! Although i feed dry throughout the day with 1 kitten size can/pouch of wet split into 2 for breakfast and dinner.