POLL-Which do you prefer to feed your cat?

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dry food only?

Wet/canned food only?

Mix of both?

Or RAW Diet?

Would love to know just how many people feed their kittens/cats dry/wet or mixed simply because i recieved mixed info form my vets on what to feed my kitten so i would just like to see what others feed their kittys before i make my final decision of whats best.
At the moment hes on a mix of both dry (throughout the day) and 1 kitten size pouch/tray/tin of wet food.Thanks Guys,

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mix of both. Never tried anything else. Oh and Joji also likes a piece of raw meat once in a while.

princeegrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats mostly dry, but we also feed them wet food three times a week.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One gets 90% raw will be 100% after I am done with the raw she hated...

the other gets dry and wet / raw when shell eat it

Preference would be all raw but younger kitty says not now

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're on 100% raw now
This is my first choice and I feel it is the best diet for them.

My next choice would be 100% wet food, then 50/50, with an all dry diet being my last choice.

Whatever you choose, make sure you are feeding a high quailty food, with no by-products, artificial colours or preservatives, etc. Don't be afraid to be fussy about the food you choose! Your kitty will benefit from getting the best you can find!

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed wet food about 2x a day, usually a can or two a day for 3 cats. Then I let them free feed dry food throughout the day. I used to only free feed dry food and 'Baby Girl' was getting chubby so I started the wet food.

mlckeysue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dry food only. when my first cat was a kitten i used to give him a 1/3 of a can of wet food a day. at 1 yr old he weighed 13 lbs so it was bye-bye wet food. i have never given my 2nd cat wet food. i was surprised to hear that for a chubby cat you stopped with the dry food, that is opposite of what my vet told me.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlckeysue

dry food only. when my first cat was a kitten i used to give him a 1/3 of a can of wet food a day. at 1 yr old he weighed 13 lbs so it was bye-bye wet food. i have never given my 2nd cat wet food. i was surprised to hear that for a chubby cat you stopped with the dry food, that is opposite of what my vet told me.
You might want to read this, it's the best resource I've been able to find regarding obesity in felines. Wet food is actually MUCH better for overweight kitties (and cats in general) than dry. It is lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein, and also has less calories. Most vets have yet to come around to this information, as their nutritional education is rather limited.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlckeysue

I used to feel the same way. I used to only give Otis wet food because he has comprimised liver and kidney functioning and I was afraid to give Baby Girl wet food because I thought it would fatten her up too. After reading on here I learned that wet food is better for them because it has a lot less carbs in it. The downside to wet food is that it costs more. Usually I buy in bulk so it reduces the cost a little, about 24 small cans of SD for $18.00.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed all dry. The occasional times I'd give my cats wet as a treat, they'd throw it up all over the house. But, I have learned a lot from the people on this site and now I feed wet twice a day, with dry nibbles at night mostly to keep them from waking me up all night. I have 2 cats that won't touch the wet, so they still eat dry. I feed Nutro..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Currently feed dry, a high quality food with no preservatives, Solid Gold. But considering the possibility of switching, time will tell.

lsconyers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they always have dry food sitting in their bowl... and that's what they mainly eat, but everyday they get a can or a packet of wet food and several treats...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mostly a good dry brand....but both of the "boys' drink plenty of water.
Their "Dad" gives them 1 can of Fancy Feast (It`s a very small can split between them once a day...when he gets home from work.) I dont really approve of the brand, but they love it, and he loves giving it to them.... and they won`t do anything but sniff and walk away from anything else he has offered.
Raw is out of the question....they won`t have any part of it either. (And I think that is REALLY WIERD....are`nt cats supposed to like raw meat??? They like to smell it, and will "play" with it...but they will NOT eat it!)
Linda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens get both wet and dry. Adults get dry. Everyone gets occasionally boiled chicken or other meat we are having for supper.

Our rexes were raised on Iams. I found that was the best for them. The outside barn cats get dry - Kirkland brand from Costco - made by the Diamond company. They do well on it.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet and dry. We feed a quarter of a can of the petsmart brand to each cat twice a day. We experimented with more each, but they weren't finishing their plates. The dry is a high quality one from Natural Balance for cats with allergies because that's what Dolly can stomach. We free feed that. Everyone's happy with the balance

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet and dry. We feed ours wet twice a day, and leave a few bowls of dry out for whenever they want it.