Poll:Visitors-Should They Call Before Dropping By?

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used to have a freind who always overstated her welcome drove me nuts,so after she had done it a couple of times i came up with a plan,when i saw it was her i used to put my coat on b4 opening the door and say sorry im just on my way out,and u know it worked after doing that a couple of times she took the hint. mind u ive had company stay late and ive just said to them "your going to have to go now as im going to bed"

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im really afraid to overstay my welcome, so im always saying anytime you guys want to kick me out just say so :-)

itekks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is soooooo funny because it just happened to me yesterday. I kept telling my husband "I can't believe she just showed up". Luckily I was not home, but she left a message on my phone saying "I'm standing outside - are you home" To make it even better it was a friend I have not seen in over 16 years!!! We have always kept intouch via email and Christmas cards. She had planned to be going through my town and told me about 6 weeks ago. Never heard anything more - well hello her she is. And she had never been to my house obviously before - she had put my address in the computer to get a map to my house. I think my mouth was open all day in shock. So basically - I do not like when people just show up. Please call. Can you imagine -if I was home - 16 yrs- I would have been not showered - hair up - no makeup - husbands shirt - you get the picture. Oh hi and how are you
Great topic!

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ilovejoelyo

im really afraid to overstay my welcome, so im always saying anytime you guys want to kick me out just say so :-)
I do that too! I always get so paranoid, and make sure I check every so often as well. I'd also never stay at someones house past about 9.30pm unless it was a party or had been arranged that way. I'm always very aware that they may well be wanting to go to bed!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would prefer a phone call. But in the summer we are usually outside so I might not hear it. Most of the relatives live a good 30 minutes away or more so I would go into "frantic mode" and quickly clean. But I don't keep much snacks or soda so I have to have time to runa dnget some. Huuby is like don't worry about that (MEN!!)
He on the other hand feels no shame drooping in on his brothers or sisters without calling!!

cyber cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like a phone call first before company comes over, I don't like when people just drop by, because I could be busy with something or get ready to go out and then you feel obligated to entertain.
Sometimes I just won't answer the door.
If it was my Mom, Dad, Sister or Brother they can drop in anytime.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow so I'm not alone in feeling it's rude if ppl stop by without advance notice!!

Thought I was being too paranoid
Luckily it doesn't happen too often cuz most of friends lives at least 30 min away. Unfortunately, my family all lives in Utah so they have never visited my home.
I've visited them but my parents only came out ONCE in the last 8 years and it was for my graduation from an university.

If ppl stops by without notifying me in advance- I sometimes answer, sometimes I don't answer the door.

It depends on who and how terrible I look.
One problem I have is if I look in the peephole and see a hearing friend then I freeze cuz I am not sure if they can hear me walking up to the door, if they could hear me if i move away from the door so I stand there on my tiptoes holding my breath until they leave.

If it's deaf friends then I just walk back to living room and watch tv ignoring the flashing door light (instead of doorbell, I use door lights since I can't hear)!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also prefer a call or notice. My parents are kind of offended by this, I think. They do live over an hour away, so it's in their best interest to call. I'm not home a lot, and I tend to be busy, especially on weekends with house stuff.

I always call and find out if it's ok to stop by a friend or family member's house, so I guess I expect the same courtesy.

I think in the past, it was more acceptable to just drop in. With everyone being so busy, it makes sense to check that it's ok. Let's face it, we even have to schedule lunch with friends in advance sometimes.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like ANY unexpected visitors, no matter WHO it is. atleast call me from the driveway. I have been known to just not answer the door because someone did not call first. I don't care. But my bf always visits people w/o calling and they usually don't seem to mind. But he sometimes does that thing where he says 'hey i might stop by sometime tomorrow' so at least they have some sort of warning.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like it when people call me first. I rarely get unexpected visits. By the way, no one answered the question on how to make this into a poll. Click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the page and select, "make this into a poll" or whatever it says. You should be able to figure it out from there.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do prefer that people call ahead but I do have about 3 close friends that I don't expect to call. There's nothing they could see catch me doing that they haven't seen before

I DO, however wish that the UPS guy would call ahead. For some reason, he always pulls up to our back door, which is a french patio door. I run around the house in my underwear ALL the time and last month, he caught me vacuuming in my undies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I am glad that I'm not alone!
It's strange, though that I wouldn't mind a close friend stopping by so much as my sister..she is a neat freak & I feel obligated to have a perfectly clean apartment first.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call first!! What happened to the vote? Maybe a mod can set that up for you if it's too late to edit.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys

Well I am glad that I'm not alone!
It's strange, though that I wouldn't mind a close friend stopping by so much as my sister..she is a neat freak & I feel obligated to have a perfectly clean apartment first.
Oh yes!! Family MUST call before stopping by. They know not to show up unexpectedly. My Mom especially!!!!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on who it is and what they want. If it's family or a close friend who's just dropping by for a minute, no big deal. If it's someone I don't know as well or they want to take up a bunch of my time, I prefer a call first.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it when people just drop by. Now there are exceptions to this rule, my parents are free to drop by any time they want and maybe my cousin DD other than that no thanks.