Poll:Visitors-Should They Call Before Dropping By?

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't like when people just drop by without calling. Certain people aren't as bad as others but I prefer a quick phone call.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are not invited you are not welcome. Problem is, having two teenage kids their friends show up all of the time. Argh!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please call! I can't stand it when someone pops over and I'm running for appropriate company clothing! Besides that, what if I've been lazy and the house is messy?

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer a call before someone drops by, but I do make exceptions. Occasionally, my former neighbor drops by when he's in the area. For him I make an exception-he's used to seeing me in my comfy clothes and seeing my apartment a mess. Besides, Ivo loves to have him visit, and I can't deny her that.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't call, my door doesn't open.

Hubby has an annoying friend who drops bye and overstays his welcome. Now he doesn't get let in either. yay

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer if people call first, that way i can look half way decent.

If i am not going anywhere and no one is coming over, i dont really make an effort to get all spiffed up.

I actually have not answered the door when people have just dropped by unexpectadley(i was/had been cleaning all day-i was gross)!

I like to be presentable for people and I like my place to be presentable.

I dont mind if close friends and family drop by though, they have already all seen me at my worst!

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

When people drop by unexpectedly, I don't answer the door. I think it's extremely rude, and I don't like being suddenly imposed on. In fact, I don't open the door to anyone unless they call first. And even then, I often don't answer the phone, and expect a message will be left if it's important enough.
Exactly. I rarely answer my phone too.....

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i stumble to the door when its a postman and i hate survey people!

i also hate it when bens mother wants to come over she hangs up the phone and not even two minutes later shes at the door!
last time she came over she literally cleaned up my whole appartment because i had my period and i was so pissed because i dont like it.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Unless its an emergency, or someone you haven't met, its rude. The host could be busy, or not ready to have the guest over.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys

Ugh! My sister has always done this to me..today I got a message about "where are you, the car's out back.." etc, etc. I think I will just tell her we don't like drop-ins & leave it at that.
Tell her you were doing housework in the nude, and couldn't come to the door...or that you were in the bathtub and wasn't expecting company...that's the perfect segway (spelling?) for you to say...."Oh, I didn't know it was you, why didn't you call me? I thought it was just another door to door sales man or a Jehovah's Witness!"

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My partner has a friend who likes to drop by unannounced, and he stays for hours on end... This guy does not seem to realise when he has worn out his welcome - Swedish people can be a bit reserved sometimes when it comes to saying what they think, but even my mild mannered boyfriend has gotten quite blunt with him and he just does not seem to understand.

You have to literally get up and walk away from him and start doing something else (he usually stays so long its bedtime so I will just go in the bathroom and get ready for bed). If he is still hanging around when we have done all of that my poor boyfriend can tell I am starting to freak out if this guy does not get out of our house in about 30 seconds...
That would be sooooo annoying

at the moment i don't like unexpected visitors because the only visitors i get in this town are nosy old women i don't even really know and they want to have a coffee and chat about totally boring stuff for hours.

luckily this hasn't happened for a while, if anyone does do this i just say i'm busy and they go away, i think they have gotten the hint now

i mostly hate it because they always gossip and ask me why my cats don't go out side as if that's any of their business.

i would love to see my parents or brothers though or my best friend but they live eight hours away and can't visit

down south i used to love having mum or nikki over for a chat but my nan annoys me, she's nasty to my mum and is a total control freak, she has this aweful habit of dropping by really early, waking me up and then opening every blind in the house before iv'e even had a chance to open my eye's properly, then she stays for ages and talks badly about my mum and brothers and harasses me about why i don't have a kid yet

i always feel uncomfortable around her and like i can't relax properly, with mum i always feel like i can be myself but with nan i just can't.

as for the phone, i wait for the message if it's when i'm cooking dinner because for the last three weeks iv'e had those telemarketers call me every second night, once i told one of them i was busy and he just hung up on me, slammed the phone in my ear

felicia

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care for pop in visits. I have an ex neighbor who does it, and it really annoys me cause he can't make a point of visiting to visit, he just "drops by" cause he went to the local church.

I can't even imagine doing it to someone now with cell phones etc, you can easily call.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we have never really had many unexpected visitors mainly because our house only has one door and it is at the back of the house and to get to the door you have to get past my dog. Who is always barking but once you say "Hey Jazzy" she wags her tail and comes over for a pet.

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless they have called first, I pretend I'm not home!
It's rude and inconsiderate to just drop by. When guests come round I want my place to look neat and tidy, and I like to make special effort to make them feel welcome (like buy there favourite biscuits etc..) - I can't do that if they arrive unannounced.

Juli

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was strange in not liking uninivted guests, but obviously not! I hate it when people pop over without checking first, and I too have pretended not to be in sometimes. If you've been working all day and looking forward to going home and curling up on the sofa with a glass of wine and a film, it's incredibly annoying when someone comes over and expects you to welcome them and entertain them all night.

I have a friend who doesn't work and she seems to have lost all concept of working hours. She'll text me at 6pm to ask what I'm doing, and arrive with her 3 year old 5 minutes later. Then she'll stay til midnight, oblivious of the fact that I have to get up in 6 hours and that I've been yawning for the last 3! I need 8 hours sleep, that's just the way I am. I can't sleep in til 10am, and I have to be alert and able to do my job the next day. I've taken to pretending to busy unless it's a weekend (and even then I don't really want to stay up til midnight and be tired the next day, I'd rather get to bed on time and be up at 9am and be able to get things done).

Guess I'm turning into an old fart already!