Votes: 51 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 54.9%

• Total voters

benjeremy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You probably should have more options.... No Collar, regular collar with tag, regular collar, flea collar.

I don't know why I bother with the flea collars on our cats, only the applied Frontline seems to actually do anything.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably should have more options.... No Collar, regular collar with tag, regular collar, flea collar.

I don't know why I bother with the flea collars on our cats, only the applied Frontline seems to actually do anything.
Definitely take the flea collars off your cats. They are not safe for cats, highly toxic.

benjeremy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely take the flea collars off your cats. They are not safe for cats, highly toxic.
Yeah, I've heard that from somebody else in the past. All three cats are indoor cats, but ever since a few years ago, when the town stopped spraying pesticide in the fall, fleas have been a big problem. This past fall it got to be a major issue because our cat Shadow is allergic to the bites, and they got her real bad.

The groomer who took care of Shadow suggested Frontline, as well as the brand of collar we are using. 

I won't be putting any fresh collars on them, barring any more occurrences of fleas, but if the other measures fail, I'd have to weigh the benefits versus the problems. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to use any of these measures.

farplace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOST of my domestic cats have collars on,   but not all.   none of my ferals do,  even though they are kept indoors (in a barn).   There ARE problems associated with collars for cats,  so we mainly use them to identify similar-looking cats.   We always microchip - and it is getting more common for folks to scan a stray these days.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should a indoor cat wear a flea collar  that doesn't have any ?

dejolane
cats should not wear flea collars it is toxic back in 09 when i didn't really pay attation to my cats health all my cats was wearing them i had 7 cats at the time and all of them had bad bad soars around there neck that what started me to pay more attation to my cats health n food etc

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My strictly indoor F3 Savannah wears a collar with I.D. tags and bells. Plus, has a microchip. My indoor/outdoor DSH's do not wear a collar. They do however have microchips.

Last edited:

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I initially put a belled collar on Trivia, but I started to think it might annoy her.  It also often got in the way when I scratched her chin, which she loves!  However, I worry about them escaping one day.  I suppose I could get them micro-chipped.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put a collar on Bella once and in the middle of the night she had taken it off. Hey at least I knew where she was.

dejolane

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat had an awful collar on when i got him..it was far too tight round his neck and had been poorly cut to fit...when i got him home i quickly removed it...only to find some far round his neck was missing as it had been so tight.

i left him collar free for a week or so.

Now he has a breakaway black shiny one with a silver fish,name tag and bell on it...and he seems fine wearing it...he's probably just relieved he can look so good and still breath...

i think cats should have a bell on...because they creep round in the dark..so i'm always worried i'll trip over him or stand on his tale...also my cats indoor/outdoor...so a bell is great for his prey..they have much more chance of hearing him and escaping..and i don't want dead mice as gifts either...lol..or live ones running round the house..

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want your cat to be "natural", so you have told us. :) Part of a cat's nature is to hunt.

Cats are master hunters. A bell will not deter or detract the cat from hunting, because he will learn to stalk without causing it to jingle. Instead, it will just be a constant irritant in his ears the rest of the time, every time he wants to play or run and jump or scratch an itch, in fact every time he does anything besides hunt.

I wish people would think about how sensitive the hearing is of a cat, and take the bells off.

Last edited:

tigermuma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. She's so hyeractive and gets into everything I'm scared to death she'll get hung up and strangle.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two of ours have collars. We hadn't planned on having four but God had other ideas and brought two wee ones to our door. We haven't had the money to collar them too.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Flea collars have been proven dangerous to dogs and cats, if anyone has a flea collar on their cat PLEASE remove it right away.

As far as other collars, I suggest removing the bell if the collar has it. First off I'm sure it's very irritating to cats since they have such good hearing. 2nd, I knew of 2 cats that ripped theirs off and swallowed it with possible choking hazard. 3rd, the bells are supposed to deter bird hunting, I've seen plenty of cats with bells still catch birds, so they don't work. Mainly safety reasons not to have bell on collar.

starlyte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to put collars on my cats, at least the 3 who are really tamed and friendly now, but they took it very badly, so I gave up. As well Kit, the mama cat, got mauled on the throat by a big bad tom, after I got her spayed, and hates being touched there, even though it's healed for quite a few months now.

Also, there are so many trees, fence posts and the like that they play tag on it worries me that they might get caught up, even with the "safe" ones. But for that I'd need to get one on them, first!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I tried to put collars on my cats, at least the 3 who are really tamed and friendly now, but they took it very badly, so I gave up. As well Kit, the mama cat, got mauled on the throat by a big bad tom, after I got her spayed, and hates being touched there, even though it's healed for quite a few months now.

Also, there are so many trees, fence posts and the like that they play tag on it worries me that they might get caught up, even with the "safe" ones. But for that I'd need to get one on them, first!
Sense they are going outside, you should get them all micro-chipped for sure!

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten has a collar with a skull tag with her name and info on it. It also has a bell so I can easily find her since she's so tiny still, it also helps since my grandmother cant see as well due to medical reasons, so if she's near she can hear her.

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are indoor kittens only and I live in an apartment building but mine still wear collars. They have break away ones with bells, so I can hear my boys and don't get pounced on.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats figured out how to take them off with their back claws, so it's useless to try to put one on.