Plus Size Clothes...RANT

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh i dont even wanna talk about stores..and shopping..and.the way things fit..especially on hips..and..

*whines* i have gone up a couple sized in the hips. and just went to try on jeans what a nightmare.

I am not plus sized but it was enough diffrence to make me flinch. my mom..thinks its cute..

I agree tho having to shop for my sister for presents and such and she is plus size...whats with the ugly patterns?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who calls Lane Bryant "Lame Giant" because she hates their clothes so much (she shops there, not even remotely a joke about weight, but about their so-called taste)

You know, I wear a 12 or 14 because I'm 5'8 and built like a horse (I'm not overweight, but delicate I'm not) and clothes designed in my size are for people with short legs, no hips, and a large waist.

I swear all clothes are designed by men who've never been outside California. Seriously, I had hips when I was 11.

I know I'm not plus-sized but I feel your pain, I think a lot of its true of clothes in general. I've been to some stores and not even a single shirt fit me without looking like it would rip in the bust. Crap, I'm a B/C!

I just want to shake them and scream "Who are these clothes FOR?!"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

On the other end of the scale, I'd love a pair of pants that at least reach my ankles
Even the stores that do the longer length pants aren't quite long enough.
Have you tried NY & CO??? They have pants in longer lengths (i have a friend that's 5'10'' and she gets a lot of her pants from there http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/.)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the chest problem too.If you do find a shirt that fits around the belly area,it is too snug on the boobs.So, I end up usually going to the mens section and getting my shirts from there.Atleast then, they are loose enough.
As for jeans, I usually get the stretchy denim and wear those.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uggh. I hear your pain. One issue I had with Lane Bryant is the way that they would put ties in odd places, or put some kind of dang sequine or giant fabric flower on an otherwise OK skirt/blouse. I'm big, but I'm not a rose bowl float! Enough with the foofy!

I have been having better luck at Target lately. Maybe those thousands of surveys I filled out asking for less hideous plus size clothing actually meant something

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely agree with everything in this thread. The biggest issue I have is that when you get into the 1X sizes of shirts (t-shirt type), the top part is huge and the bottom part too snug on the hips. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a sloppy neckline.

Dress Barn used to have some decent clothes, but again the problem was with patterns. The fit was good, the colors and patterns atrocious. I wouldn't want to wear those patterns even if I was a size 3. Its like, hey you're huge, you must want big ugly flowers on your clothes. They're also out of my price range these days, even the Outlet store.

Lane Bryants catalog has shirts that are too huge and way too long.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you on the prints being used. They resemble the ones used in a quilt my grandmother made in the 1930s - and they were ugly then!

I especially hate the ones that looked like you threw up fruit salad...

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man do I know th shopping blues. And what's worse is my sister has the supermodel body and wants me to go shopping with her and I'm like no thanks I would rather not. But I did find a couple cute shirts at walmart I think last fall they are western type shirts kind of and they have stripes but they go down and at an angle instead and I have actually noticed they make me look smaller but other than them I stay away from stripes. And why is it all of the plus size dresses have these huge floral prints. I am sorry but I am not wearing those.

And the jeans well I have hips and a bit of a booty but I also have a waist. so it makes it hard to find pants that fit right on every section cause my waist is curved my jeans want to slide down to my hips and I am not trying to go for the plumber look.

And I absolutely hate shopping for bras cause never fails if you have a large chest and are looking for bras everyone in the store walks by right then and you get some store employee that asks if you need help. And normally I simply say no thanks but in my mind I am thinking okay I am a grown woman I think I know how to find my own clothes.

And one store I actually like is called Cato's and they have some nice clothes but like why is it that the plus size section is in big bold letters.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate!
Lane Bryant usually has some really cute stuff that fits well, but sometimes they have some really strange prints too.
Still, it's about the only place I can shop.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's because I'm in a major city but I have luck with dept. stores. Macy's plus size dept. and Lord and Taylor. If that's too expensive. Try on some designer styles and then look for them on E-bay. Ann Klein is great so is Dana Buchman and Eileen Fisher. If you know what you are looking for Ebay is a great way to go.

By the way if you are comfortable telling me what size you are looking for I've recently lost weight and I'm getting rid of tons of clothes. Most are a size 22W. PM if you want.

Cynthia

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest problem with plus sizes is that these manufacturers seem to think that larger size women are all average to tall in height, so if I find something that fits well and hangs properly, it's miles too long.

As for jeans, I only buy men's Levis, even before I became a plus sized woman.
They seem to fit better and not be too tight in all the wrong places.
Men's relaxed fit Levis really are relaxed fit, not just relaxed in some areas like the women's jeans.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right on the cusp of plus sizes... my top half wears roughly a 16 (boobage being the culprit here)... sometimes a 14, if I hit the right stores (NY & Co runs large, so I can wear smaller sizes, but they ain't cheap). Bottoms are 12 or 14... so, I'm on that cusp... anyway...

Since I work in a fabric store, I figured I ought to mention this: Simplicity has a new line of clothing patterns designed by Khaliah Ali (Muhammad Ali's daughter). She's a healthy sized girl and had a excellent fashion sense. She's designed several styles and worked with Simplicity to put out patterns for them. If anyone here sews. many of her styles are similar to what's out there now for skinny chicks, but proportioned better for larger sizes. At least it seems to me...

Simplicity & Khaliah Ali

Just thought I'd bring that up...

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

My biggest problem with plus sizes is that these manufacturers seem to think that larger size women are all average to tall in height, so if I find something that fits well and hangs properly, it's miles too long.
I AM average to tall in height (5'7") and I still have a problem with things, especially jeans, being too long. It's like somebody says "Geez...if she's that wide, she must be 6 and a half feet tall." (But petites are too short. Go figure!)

I can sympathize with everyone here. I buy most of my clothes at Lane Bryant (if you sign up for their mailing list and get the coupons you can save a lot of money). But I agree that they have some really ugly stuff there, too. I also have to try everything there on first, because some of their stuff just hangs weird on me.

I've recently lost a lot of weight, and I'm currently between a 16 and an 18. My biggest problem now is that I have wide hips, big boobs, and a comparatively small waist, so plus sizes fit me in the chest and hips, but not the waist. Regular sizes fit in the waist, but many are too snug around the chest and hips.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we can safely say that no matter what size we are, it's no fun shopping these days.

My daughter is 5' 11" and about 180 lbs. She has all kinds of trouble finding pants long enough. Then there are her shoes - ladies size 13. Up until PayLess came to Canada we had to buy her men's shoes (loafers and doc martens) or go to one of only 2 specialty stores where the prices were ridiculous.

Then there is me. I'm 5'2" and about 120 lbs (not skinny by any means) but every pair of pants I get (even if I buy petite) needs to be cut and hemmed. I take 2 different sizes for top and bottom - can't buy suits because they don't want to sell you one piece in one size and one piece in another size. There are two lovely ladies stores in our area that have beautiful clothing and often great sales - they don't cater to small people. Size 6 is their smallest size and in one of them Size 8 seems to be the smallest. I love their clothes but can rarely find anything to fit. The stores that carry the smaller sizes cater to the teens and at the age of 60, I just don't care to wear teeny-bopper clothing. We need more "mature" women designing clothes so we can all look nice after we pass 25-30 years of age.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am plus size (thank you steroids) and I dress well in pretty clothes. If it is ugly I won't buy it/wear it.

I have the best luck with clothes from Macy's, Nordstrom (and Nords Rack), and Lane Bryant, as well as plus size offerings via catalogue if necessary from Lands End, LL Bean, J Jill, Coldwater Creek, Talbot's, Ulla Pompkin, and Silouettes. I occasionally find likeable stuff from The Avenue but overall I find their stuff ugly, badly made, and icky fabrics.

I'm pleased with the offerings they have now vs 20 years ago.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Isnt that the truth!
I always wondered why they think most plus size women are 6ft tall

I'm a plus size petite actually...that's ever harder! I'm used to getting all my pants hemmed but paying for jackets to get the sleeves right in the shoulders gets on my nerves. That's why I love Nords...when I buy it they take it for alteration right away, and if it isnt on sale the alteration is FREE! I loooove service!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be the only person who shops on QVC - and I have been a regular size, gone up to a 2x and now I am on my way back down again. Things I like about QVC:
the prices do not change if you buy a plus size,
the styles don't change either
alot of the designers make petite, reg and long
the sizes are pretty standard with all the designers
they have great return policy
the designers tend to keep the same "colors" so you can add pieces from one year to the next
I would strongly urge you all to check out QVC.com - they have designers like Dana Buchman, etc., but I like Susan Graver, Citi Knits and Denim and Company. They also have a page that will tell you which size to order based on your measurements (and I think all their designers use the same measurements). Good luck and PM me if anyone has any other questions. I think that QVC is a hidden gem for clothes buying!

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Isnt that the truth!
I always wondered why they think most plus size women are 6ft tall

I'm a plus size petite actually...that's ever harder! I'm used to getting all my pants hemmed but paying for jackets to get the sleeves right in the shoulders gets on my nerves. That's why I love Nords...when I buy it they take it for alteration right away, and if it isnt on sale the alteration is FREE! I loooove service!
I agreed it's better to buy fewer, better made expensive clothes and get them tailored. I don't have a big wardrobe but the things I do have fit well and last a long time.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I must be the only person who shops on QVC - and I have been a regular size, gone up to a 2x and now I am on my way back down again. Things I like about QVC:
the prices do not change if you buy a plus size,
the styles don't change either
alot of the designers make petite, reg and long
the sizes are pretty standard with all the designers
they have great return policy
the designers tend to keep the same "colors" so you can add pieces from one year to the next
I would strongly urge you all to check out QVC.com - they have designers like Dana Buchman, etc., but I like Susan Graver, Citi Knits and Denim and Company. They also have a page that will tell you which size to order based on your measurements (and I think all their designers use the same measurements). Good luck and PM me if anyone has any other questions. I think that QVC is a hidden gem for clothes buying!
Many times I have been tempted by QVC...they actually have great service and in my experience anything I've ordered from them has come pretty fast. Oddly, I have never bought clothes from them...those extra steps to the phone must be discouraging me. I'll have to see what's available on Qvc.com.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy cow - y'all that are always finding things too long should come shopping in Colorado. I'm 5'6" and *should* fit in average length pants. I have a hard time finding anything that isn't high-waters on me. Apparently only short big girls live in Colorado.

I'll have to check out the Macy's plus size. I can tell you that if you shop at Penny's or Sears, you must lounge all day because that's all they carry in plus size.

I'm another one that is in a 'tween size. I can wear anything from 18-24 in tops (boobs, again) depending on the cut and lay of the pattern. Pants are generally 22 to 24, depending if they think that stretchy is good, or if you have no hips. Sorry, I've had hips since I was 12. I NEED the extra room, and always have (even when I was a size 12, I would often have to buy larger so it wasn't stretched across my hips and bust).