Please keep Tyler in your thoughts

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for you and Tyler - Astrid and I will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck getting better soon Tyler - and lots hugs for your Meowmy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a day. I had a call during the ultrasound that they were seeing multiple nodules in Tyler's liver, and they wanted to do light anesthesia and fine needle aspirate biopsies. I was told in older dogs it's not unusual to see such nodules and they are usually benign, but in cats it is very rare. So..the thought was carcinoma versus lymphoma versus this is a metastisis of a cancer from another site. However they couldn't find a primary site. So...I went to pick him up, feeling like the bottom was dropping out.

But, one bit of hopeful news. They examined one of the many slides they made, and saw only normal cells..not what they expected. Now we wait for the cytology report to come back re the rest of the slides that were made.

Please keep him in your thoughts.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

What a day. I had a call during the ultrasound that they were seeing multiple nodules in Tyler's liver, and they wanted to do light anesthesia and fine needle aspirate biopsies. I was told in older dogs it's not unusual to see such nodules and they are usually benign, but in cats it is very rare. So..the thought was carcinoma versus lymphoma versus this is a metastisis of a cancer from another site. However they couldn't find a primary site. So...I went to pick him up, feeling like the bottom was dropping out.

But, one bit of hopeful news. They examined one of the many slides they made, and saw only normal cells..not what they expected. Now we wait for the cytology report to come back re the rest of the slides that were made.

Please keep him in your thoughts.
Of course I will, and you too.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and Taylor will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping for the best for both of you.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FROM SASHA to his favorite person: PAT!

We are really praying hard for you guys. Sasha's liver biopsy showed a diffused stage IV. Had he not had the fine needle put through the inner tissue, we would not have known why his white blood cells were at 19,000 - he simply had no other symptoms of lymphosarcoma. He was eating and sleeping well, we thought it was the T4 thyroid.... when caught early there are oral medications that will make it better. We are truly sending hugs and vibs and lots and lots and lots and lots of prayers.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I wish the results would hurry up! I've added a/d to his feedings to try and get some weight back on. In the middle of it all, his coat is shiney, he's full of purrs. Argh.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone for your continued notes. I'm still waiting to hear what the cytology report has to say.

I hate waiting.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cytology report is back but it didn't give a clear answer. The findings are consistent with nodular hypoplasia, not unusual in dogs, very rare in cats. No obvious cancer was seen, still possible there is something there. It would take full anesthesia and core biopsies of the liver so that samples of of the tissue could be sent to histopathology. There would be risks.

My vet and I have decided since there would be little we could do if it were cancer, and because nothing obvious showed up, and it may well be benign tumors, to let it be. However, we are going to try pain med to see if this gets him eating, and see about doing a dental - even though this also requires full anesthesia, it would be less of a risk I believe as compared to doing the biopsies, and there will be a benefit.

Tyler is 17 in October, and I am really weighing what will help him have hopefully another couple of decent years versus risk him for no real benefit.

In the meantime, not to hijack my own thread, Alix has a growth on her nose, it's been seen before, decision made to just watch it, well it's grown, it's chaning shape and color, so she's going in, as is her full sister Ophelia - whose coat is becoming coarse, weight is down (despite free feeding and giving wet food twice a day), and she's licking all the fur off the inside of her back legs (such a look!!). I strongly suspect she has developed hyperthyroidism, which I swear seems to be afflicting every single one of my cats

Both girls are turning 12 in August, good time to check a senior panel anyway.

Oh boy. I hope for decent news re both girls, and that Tyler can have his dental, and then begins eating again. FINGERS ARE CROSSED.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't rain but it pours. So much going on at your house! Got my fingers crossed that all kitties improve.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending major prayers your way and a few vibes too....

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat, in some ways this is better news than expected.... a softer, kinder version of what could be a malignancy...as if I think any news would be good. You are a testament to how long the kitties have lived. 17 is an enormous life. It's very difficult....if the core biopsy has risks then pray and nature will take its course, knowing that you are the best person for him to be with. I cannot think of a better place for him to be...and I've seen miracles happen. Please tell me if you need anything at all.
Paws crossed in our household too.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Pat, in some ways this is better news than expected.... a softer, kinder version of what could be a malignancy...as if I think any news would be good. You are a testament to how long the kitties have lived. 17 is an enormous life. It's very difficult....if the core biopsy has risks then pray and nature will take its course, knowing that you are the best person for him to be with. I cannot think of a better place for him to be...and I've seen miracles happen. Please tell me if you need anything at all.
Paws crossed in our household too.
Thank you so very much. I am sorry, this must be a reminder of Sasha