PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my god!!!! He opened his eyes and he looked at me and he's purring right now!!! And he gave me cue that he had to do his business and he peed in his box!!!!! He ate off a plate, he smelled his food, he's opened his eyes, AND HES PURRING RIGHT NOW!!! I can't stop crying!!!! I feel like my soul reviving me! This is really happening !! I can't believe it!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is all good news :).

However, you still need to deal with the swelling in his eye. Did you call the vet about it yet?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the first time he purrs !!! He started purring as soon as he saw me!!!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This is all good news :).

However, you still need to deal with the swelling in his eye. Did you call the vet about it yet?
I'm waiting for her to call me back. I gave him his antibiotic. First I cleaned when I saw his eyes were opening , then I applied antibiotic, and he's still opening them! He keeps staring at me!! My heart!!!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of his eyes?
He moves too much. At the moment it's not a pretty thing to look at, but I'm waiting do my vet to call me back anyway so I can tell her what happened, what is currently going on and what I can do to keep his eyes open.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm hoping you can still save his eyesight if it's not already too late. Not pretty to look at may mean damage already.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This is wonderful news that Anubis is eating off a plate, purring and opening his eyes. You are working miracles with him - I do hope his vision will be okay, poor little guy. You have been such an angel for him and he knows it. I love the pictures - he has come so far!

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Anubis temporary box started dripping urine so I had to throw it out & I don't have another box. I was thinking should I use puppy pads in the mean time?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use an aluminum pan from your kitchen so he has something. A kitten pan is only a couple of dollars at Walmart.

Post a picture of his eyes as soon as you can. He's not moving around much, right?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, using anything for now, a baking pan, anything. If it's cardboard put plastic or a pad on the bottom so it wont soak through. I think I said that before.

Please post a pic of his open eyes, I want to see what's going on and how far advanced it is.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet just called. I told her what was going on with Anubis eyes and she said it's completely normal because he's still sick and he's barely opening then and recovery won't happen over night. She told me to keep his eye clean an applying medication. She also mentioned that sometimes it takes up to 3 weeks until they completely heal. Other than that she says every thing is going the right direction and if his eyes don't heal within a week or so she'd like for me to take him back.

I also told her he sleeps a lot and said its normal as well. She says having a kitten with a URI is like having a baby with a cold.

She did however warn me that sometimes when these things happen they start having vision problems. But as long as I keep cleaning and administering medication he should be fine.

Talking to my vet puts my worries at ease.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet just called. I told her what was going on with Anubis eyes and she said it's completely normal because he's still sick and he's barely opening then and recovery won't happen over night. She told me to keep his eye clean an applying medication. She also mentioned that sometimes it takes up to 3 weeks until they completely heal. Other than that she says every thing is going the right direction and if his eyes don't heal within a week or so she'd like for me to take him back.

I also told her he sleeps a lot and said its normal as well. She says having a kitten with a URI is like having a baby with a cold.

She did however warn me that sometimes when these things happen they start having vision problems. But as long as I keep cleaning and administering medication he should be fine.

Talking to my vet puts my worries at ease.
Swelling is not completely normal and is a big problem, this is why I keep trying so hard to get your attention about this.

Read this line over and over, please.

Swelling around the eye means, the discharge (infectious fluid) is unable to drain when the eyes are stuck closed, which causes it to build up around the eye, all around it, in the eye socket too, in his sinuses, down his throat, this is infected fluid. This fluid will keep infection in his system, not to mention what it is doing to his eyes and vision. The longer this goes on, the bigger risk that he is going to be blind. Not just blind, needing an eye or both removed is not out of the question.

It damages the eyesight, but also the infection is so imbedded the eye itself must be removed and the socket cleaned out.

This is also a HUGE vet bill.

So please, use warm wet cloths, soak his eyes as long as possible, then wait a bit and go back and wipe the crud away. Then apply the med right on his eyeball and hold him so it doesn't quickly run out.

This is the only way to deal with this.

I just need to know that you understand the seriousness of this, okay?

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please listen to her.
It's so true. Warm compresses will help so much. It does take time to heal, but swelling is very bad.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized that on The label on Anubis' eye medication it says I must give it to him every 8 hours, but right now i saw the back of the box and it says I have to administer every 4 hours!! Could this be the reason why his eyes have not yet healed!!!! How could I have not seen this! I feel so guilty
Lallorona,

When Tobramycin is applied topically to the eye, the dose and frequency depends on the type of condition being treated. Typically the drug is applied two or three times daily.

Please, follow the vets orders until you speak with her again and she says differently.

The dosing on the box is basically a guideline and it 'could' be used every 4 hrs if necessary, but as I said, do what your vet recommended. Every 8 hrs (3 times a day).

I have been following this thread off and on and I am impressed with Anubis' progress! You are doing a great job with him! The pics are great!

He seems to be a fighter and I know he is going to grow up to be a wonderful and loving cat! He looks great!

Now, I have to say this - I was a nurse for 22 years and I have NEVER had anyone say, "This [cleaning his butt] has got to be one of the first out of many signs of recovery, right?"  LOL  It made me chuckle!

Give him a kiss and a hug from me and my 2 boys.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks so much better today and eating on his own too! That is awesome! Whenever I have been in a situation similar to yours, having a cat/kitten eat on their own is such a relief! You are really doing a great job with him!

The advisors are right about his eyes. Eye issues in kittens can get out of hand real quick. Swelling in the eyes can be serious. Can you post a pic of his eyes?